UBP free with balcony but for kids

newzandile

So, I am planning an Alaskan trip for 2 families (3 generations of each). I researched cruise lines extensively and part of the main selling point for NCL was the free beverage package with the balcony cabins. Now that I'm finalizing the plans I'm getting the run around because we have kids with us.

The grandparents are booking their own cabins, but we booked 2 balconies and 2 insides across the hall for our family and our friends. We have 3 "kids" who will be 20, 17 and 15 at the time of sailing. Our friends have 2 who will be 16 and 13 at sailing. The balconies are DIRECTLY across the hall.

As it turns out, after a very lengthy phone call, they made an exception for us so that even though we have to split my husband and I between the cabins for the reservations, they are charging the $64 gratuity for the UBP to my daughter (who is booked in the balcony with me on paper) so that my husband will still have the beverage package once we switch cabins upon boarding.

But I'm not sure they will do the same for our neighbors, it's a frustrating glitch I think, to advertise free UBP for balcony cabins but then force one parent to give it up because they have to be booked in the "kid" cabin (which may not be a balcony) even though EVERYONE knows that is not where folks will be sleeping (and I'm not talking about young kids, that's different).

What experience have others had with this? It's an extra $442 to pay for it

Frustrating, but I can't say NCL is in the wrong. You're asking them to give you a perk you wouldn't otherwise qualify for because you're circumventing booking rules.

It is a booking rule that they tell you to do on all the cruise lines. Soon as you board they switch all the room keys so that the kids are in one room and you are in the other. It is not like they are being sneaky. That is frustrating about the beverage package. That would have tripped us up back in the day.

But considering I have an inside and also got UBP and dining and internet... I think they can make the exception.

Ok, fine. But I called to book myself and my husband in the balcony and the "kids" across the hall. I think it is ludicrous that a 20 year old is not considered an adult for booking purposes.

It is their "rule" that prevents me from booking the way I intended to book. But they themselves flout the rule, telling me that as soon as we board we can go to guest services and switch the key cards. And that is in fact what we did (on Carnival) the last time we all cruised together. It worked, but it was an unnecessary stress because we had to stand in a long line and even then it took 2 days to get the key cards properly sorted so that everyone's worked in the right rooms.

I think the 21 and up rule per cabin is archaic and too inflexible. And although I don't want them to suddenly start following their rules it is CLEARLY treated as a technicality by THEM, so why should I lose out on the promotion due to a technicality that they don't respect themselves?

Alcohol aside, when do they think the ADULTS in a family are supposed to have "relations" on vacation if they were to force them to sleep with the kids?

They know that is something guests won't abide so all they do is create unnecessary hassle for their guests, reservation agents and guest services on board.

I'm going to mix the pot a bit by pointing out that if two people are married, they can be under 21 and book a room to themselves. This is my way of saying that I think the rule should be 18.... If you want to make "exceptions' for spring break weeks (like some places do for the UBP) then maybe that makes sense to avoid massive amounts of unsupervised spring break college students... but my experience with college was that we couldn't afford a cruise anyway!!

I think it is ludicrous that a 20 year old is not considered an adult for booking purposes.

It is their "rule" that prevents me from booking the way I intended to book.

If you find their rules ludicrous, don't book with them - it's completely in your power to pick a cruise line with rules that you can abide to.

But they themselves flout the rule, telling me that as soon as we board we can go to guest services and switch the key cards.

But you do not "switch the key cards" with NCL at any point, you merely get extra key cards (no charging rights, only for opening the door) to access the other cabin. Officially you still stay in the cabin you are booked into.

Alcohol aside, when do they think the ADULTS in a family are supposed to have "relations" on vacation if they were to force them to sleep with the kids?

Now who's being ludicrous? O_o

Edited by Demonyte

Maybe I am missing something (most likely :D ), but the current promo allows one choice for any cabin, se the inside cabin would be able to choose the beverage package so any adult in the cabin would get the UBP and any kids would get the soda package.

Maybe I am missing something (most likely :D ), but the current promo allows one choice for any cabin, se the inside cabin would be able to choose the beverage package so any adult in the cabin would get the UBP and any kids would get the soda package.

As I understand it, they get the packages but according to the promo T&C they have to pay the full service charges for UBP even for kids as the kids are 2nd passengers in those cabins.

The free UBP is only offered to balcony cabins, the inside cabins only qualify for free soda. And they can't assign the UBP to the minor that they are "fake" booking in the balcony because she is a minor.

As my original post stated, they did override the system for us, so it will all work out for us, just not sure about my friends in the cabins next door to these. I don't know how much depends on my getting lucky with the agent and her supervisor that I spoke to today. And that is part of my frustration, the arbitrariness of it.

And on the last cruise we went on there were perks associated with our aft balcony that didn't apply to the inside so they had to actually move our names, not just give us extra key cards.

Thanks for the positive responses that didn't include lecturing or preaching to me for not being a good rule follower.

As my original post stated, they did override the system for us, so it will all work out for us, just not sure about my friends in the cabins next door to these. I don't know how much depends on my getting lucky with the agent and her supervisor that I spoke to today. And that is part of my frustration, the arbitrariness of it.

And on the last cruise we went on there were perks associated with our aft balcony that didn't apply to the inside so they had to actually move our names, not just give us extra key cards.

Thanks for the positive responses that didn't include lecturing or preaching to me for not being a good rule follower.

Ok, now I'm confused. NCL's rules allow minors without adults in connecting or adjacent staterooms and directly across the hall (doors facing each other) has been enough for them (there are other complications from doing this, for example not being able to do the online check-in for the cabin with only minors, but that can be handled in port too) - as they have been actually able to move you around between cabins, then this rule has been fulfilled so I really do not understand why this wouldn't happen now.

Also, if you are demanding exceptions to the rules and calling their rules ludicrous, you really are not a good rule follower - stating that fact is not preaching of any kind.

Edited by Demonyte

NCL's rules allow minors without adults in connecting or adjacent staterooms and directly across the hall (doors facing each other) has been enough for them

Interesting, the directly across the hall exception is news to me, they made it sound as if that made no difference. She kept saying that there must be someone over 21 booked in each cabin. Maybe they've changed that recently?

As far as the preaching is concerned, I asked if anyone else had had to deal with this. So if you have not, and you don't have any suggestions or questions or helpful hypothetical situations to offer then I'm not sure why you are responding at all??

Rules are sometimes ludicrous, especially if they are followed only arbitrarily and if they have no clear purpose. It is necessary for customers to challenge rules that impact their experience for no good reason and I'm sure NCL appreciated the opportunity to rectify the situation to some extent as opposed to losing my business altogether. I'm not a snotty kid who is defying authority just for the sake of it. I'm dropping over $6000 and I expect to get what was advertised for that price, that is all.

Switching cruiselines is also not such an easy thing when the 8 other people we are traveling with have already booked and all of our pre and post-cruise plans are also already booked. Because our oldest is 20 it never dawned on me that this would be an issue before all of those other plans were made. Cruising is an occasional option for us, we are not career cruisers and I believe I'm better educated than many but if my oldest is free to die for our country and to buy cigarettes and to go to a strip club it seems a bit ludicrous that he's not allowed to sleep without adult companionship. Oh, except that he really is, I just have to spend the better part of an hour on the phone now and some unspecified amount of time on the cruise standing in line at guest services. It is certainly not going to ruin the cruise or anything, I just think it is silly and was curious how others had handled it.

Maybe it's just because I'm a trial lawyer that I feel the need to call out the BS when I see it. If customers never challenged these things then NCL would never have the opportunity to improve their service and do a better job of tailoring it to the families they claim to be marketing to.

The free UBP is only offered to balcony cabins, the inside cabins only qualify for free soda. And they can't assign the UBP to the minor that they are "fake" booking in the balcony because she is a minor.

NCL.com says differently...

Pick One.

Book any stateroom on a 5+ day cruise, more than 30 days before sailing, and pick any of the four choices below. Choices differ on Hawaii cruises. This offer is excluded on Norwegian Sky.

https://www.ncl.com/specials-and-promotions/choice

Ncl class 11+ an adult for booking yet a 20 year old can't book a cabin? If this is right, that's crazy. We will face a similar issue from 2017 as our two cruises in 2016 will most likely be our last with the kids in the same cabin.

NCL.com says differently...

https://www.ncl.com/specials-and-promotions/choice

You are right! I actually originally put a deposit down (but didn't go through all the details because I was also putting a deposit on our neighbors cabins so we'd have all 4 together) back in September, at that point the balcony was the only option with UBP. Looks like we might have lost out for booking too early, but maybe that gives my neighbors an option if they don't have a cooperative agent.

I don't know if this is an option for you, we booked adjoining balcony cabins, (actually suite and a mini suite). They do allow kids under 21 in their own cabins as long as the rooms connect.

Maybe that is only the case for suites, because NCL did not allow us to do this for our connecting outside cabins. We had to book myself with the 13 year old and my husband with the 15 year old. We couldn't book the two kids together even though that cabin connects with the other.

I'm not a snotty kid who is defying authority just for the sake of it. I'm dropping over $6000 and I expect to get what was advertised for that price, that is all.

You say that you're not a snotty kid who is defying the authority just for the sake of it but immediately after that you are implying that because you pay X amount of money for your cruise, the rules that apply to everyone else (who also pay for their cruises) should not apply to you.

What is "advertised for that price" is governed by the rules that everyone needs to abide, like it or not - you have already bragged about complaining enough for them to already give in by overriding the system (ie. made an exception to the rules).

Maybe it's just because I'm a trial lawyer that I feel the need to call out the BS when I see it.

Ditto about calling out BS, that is why I and apparently some others are responding to a thread like this on this public discussion forum, to discuss and call out the BS that we see.

Like one active poster here so perfectly has stated in their signature, this is not a support group and we do not owe anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions (nor are we limited to any other rules or restrictions than the ones set by the forum administration).

In my personal opinion this thread is a perfect example of the entitlement culture that has been growing in the First World countries (especially in US) in recent years. Don't take me wrong, this is nothing personal and I'm all for lobbying to change the rules for the better, just not for abusing the system by getting personal exceptions to the rules by complaining enough (the Squeaky Wheel Syndrome).

Maybe that is only the case for suites, because NCL did not allow us to do this for our connecting outside cabins. We had to book myself with the 13 year old and my husband with the 15 year old. We couldn't book the two kids together even though that cabin connects with the other.

Then you have had an incompetent agent handling your reservation. On NCL's site it's clearly stated:

"A passenger under 18 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years or older who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 18 passenger throughout the cruise."

https://www.ncl.com/about/additional-terms-and-conditions

I don't think it mattered that we were in a suite, we just needed to book cabins that had adjoining doors. We were going book the inside with one adult but thought that would be a big pain in the butt.

This is from NCL's website:

[B]© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age

of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of

age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under-21 Guest

throughout the cruise. The Guest agrees that this responsibility includes, but is not limited to, preventing

the under-21 Guest from violating the vessel's rules, including preventing the under-21 Guest from

purchasing and/or consuming alcohol and/or gambling on board the vessel, except as set forth herein.

Guests must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska

and Hawaii itineraries, Carrier permits Guests, between the ages of 18 through 20, to purchase and

personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent.

Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic

Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon

embarkation of the vessel. However, Guests 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume alcoholic

beverages when sailing on roundtrip European voyages without having to complete the Young Adult

Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. Guests must be 18 years of age to engage in gambling on the vessel.(d)[/b]

This is what I could find on the website (in the fine print accessible all the way at the bottom, under "Restrictions" and then under "Age Policies")

"Company policy dictates that a passenger under 21 years of age must be accompanied in the same or connecting stateroom by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation."

So maybe that's how they get around it, you only have to abide until you've actually embarked, then it's anything goes? :-)

More likely the qualifier is intended to describe the age at time of embarkation, not the cabin at time of embarkation but it is potentially arguable!

You say that you're not a snotty kid who is defying the authority just for the sake of it but immediately after that you are implying that because you pay X amount of money for your cruise, the rules that apply to everyone else (who also pay for their cruises) should not apply to you.

Not at all, I don't think that rule should apply to ANYONE as it's written. And if I could get around it, I thought it would be helpful to share, so that others would know it might be an option and so I could learn from others who felt they wanted to challenge the rule. I'm not seeking special treatment, I'm simply speaking up for myself and if in so doing I can help someone else then that's fabulous!

I'm not entitled to anything that you aren't entitled to, namely the opportunity to negotiate and challenge when I'm paying for a service and I think it could be better.

Well this is turning out to be some fun discussion time!