Travel agent's commission?

I am not a travel agent, but I wouldn't mind organising my own bookings direct (especially with cruises) and earn some of the commission for myself.

MP.

Nothing stopping you , Set yourself up and sell a few cabins on the world Cruise and collect enough commission to buy yourself a new car..:D:D

its easy peasy...

Not a bad idea!

Have you tried it?

MP.

No. I have absolutely no desire to muck around with people who cant make up their mind. I do not have enough patience to deal with the public. I would probably be sued for telling them where to go.:eek:

However after reading this thread , I now know why friends who booked a suite on the World Cruise , were wined , dined and showered with gifts from their TA.:D

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

mtn..couple, do you give a discount for a direct booking off a customer, over the internet?

MP.

We give free extras included for direct bookings, so a better overall deal for the guest.

Edited by mtn_couple
grammar

I prefer to book direct with the cruise line as I am yet to find an agent that's reliable or knows enough about cruising😳😳.

I thought I had one at last who offered me discounts and she has been a nightmare and unreliable. Promises the world and never gets back to me!! Never again. By doing it myself, any problems I can only blame myself.

I know what you mean, lizzy77.

I once had an agent who offered a loyalty program.

All went well, until I got to the top loyalty level with all the good perks.

Only problem then was the 'service' just was non existent....didn't want to know me and, in fact, did anything to turn me off using them.

It worked!

I'd never use an agent with any form of 'loyalty' program again!

I now book direct with the cruise co, but think it would be nice if they gave some reward to the customer (the mug punter) for them (the cruise co) not having to pay commission to an agent.

MP.

I now book direct with the cruise co, but think it would be nice if they gave some reward to the customer (the mug punter) for them (the cruise co) not having to pay commission to an agent.

MP.

The commission still goes to the reservations agent in Guatemala/India/Phillipines or wherever else the call centres are based.[emoji849] They too have targets to make.

Hey, why would you support local businesses!? Screw agents! We must have the easiest job in the universe! [emoji19]

P.S. If I had a dollar for every time someone who had booked online or direct has had something go wrong (ie. they likely made the error) and come to ask if I can help, or change something for them, I'd be incredibly rich.

But hey, what would I know? Nothing apparently... [emoji34]

MP.

The cruise lines prefer to pay agents.

Rather than having to hire masses more staff, equipment and centres to service all the direct bookings.

Rather than having to hire masses more staff, equipment and centres to service all the direct bookings.

Yeap saves them paying for employees, renting building, desk costs, payroll tax, super, etc.

I agree! Everybody should have a slice of the 'action', including the mug punter. :-)

You are getting a slice of the action.

Cruising today is far cheaper than it has ever been. With the number of cruises you have done you must surely see that savings are being passed on to "the mug punter".

Instead of worrying about commissions , what about the price of oil.?

The cruise lines must be creaming it with their fares. It wasn't that long ago they were prepared to add on a surcharge if a barrel of oil went over a certain price. I dont see them offering a refund now that the price has plummeted.

Mr Princess - The point that The Big M mentioned above is very valid. The cruise company can either pay commission (lets say 10% of the cruise component of the fare) or pay all the costs of having their staff answer the questions (maybe endlessly) then take the booking. In addition, if someone books through a TA, they have to go back to that TA with later questions and problems, rather than back to the call centre at the cruise company.

The bottom line, with some passengers' bookings, it might be 'line ball' whether the cruise company saves any money at all by having them book direct rather than paying commission.

The other point is that generally in business, it isn't the right thing to under-cut your agents. That is what the TAs are - the cruiseline's agents. They are not the passengers' agents. If the cruiseline doesn't treat them reasonably, they will be more inclined to recommend another cruiseline that treats them better. :)

Totally agree. We once once asked a cruise line about this and the reply was that they would rather deal with one agent and sell one hundred cabins rather take hundreds of calls and sell one cabin.

There was also the case of Renaissance Cruises who went belly up a few years ago. They only took internet bookings and would not deal with TA's. There were other complications as well eg No Smoking which was well ahead of its time. Not dealing with and looking after agents sent them broke and into receivership, with the fleet being sold off..(Pacific Princess, Azamara, Oceania etc.)

The cruise lines rely on TA's and the business they bring to them.

I just don't understand where this obsession with commission is coming from. Quite frankly, if you're not an agent, it's nothing to do with you. There is no "piece of the pie" for you because that's the price. You either pay the price, or you don't cruise. Simple!

I just don't understand where this obsession with commission is coming from. Quite frankly, if you're not an agent, it's nothing to do with you. There is no "piece of the pie" for you because that's the price. You either pay the price, or you don't cruise. Simple!

:rolleyes: agree

I think the idea is that if the person cuts out the agent, then they should save either the equivalent of the amount the cruiseline would pay in commission or close to it. :( I do not agree, because the cruiseline would have to pay their staff (with all the associated costs) instead of paying commission and I do not know if there would be much saving for the cruiseline to pass on.