Koningsdam registered Nassau.

Alphen

Just in case anybody is wondering, like I was, I saw pictures of Koningsdam appearing on Marinetraffic (she is a nice looker by the way:D) where the name Koningsdam on her stern, had the homeport “Nassau”, underneath it.

Thought that would be a bit strange, but after a short round on Google, found out that being under current yard (Italian) flag, she has to be registered somewhere before the ship is in the water. Until transferred to here owner, apparently, Fincantieri owners register their ships in Nassau, Bahamas. This also happened with the latest additions to the fleet, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

When transferred to HAL on the 31st of march, Rotterdam will appear underneath and just needs a white coat of paint.

Just thought I would share this, in case anybody else was wondering……

Yeah shipyard registries have to take place, then before handoff they'll paint over and paint ROTTERDAM back there.

HAL is one of the very few lines that still register ships in a - how can I say this - developed first-world country.

Thanks for the pics. I wish that stern wasn't so boxy/vertical ... not as graceful to me as a more staggered or sloped one. Certainly better than what the Veendam suffers with though! :D

Edited by jtl513

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your observation about Nassau Registration as well as the photo.

From the rear looking forward the ship looks so boxy and so many angles that make the eye jump around. She looks cluttered from that viewpoint.

From the side she is much more attractive.

Edited by sail7seas

Interesting. Thanks for sharing your observation about Nassau Registration as well as the photo.

From the rear looking forward the ship looks so boxy and so many angles that make the eye jump around. She looks cluttered from that viewpoint.

Most cruise ships these days look rather boxy when viewed from certain angels, especially when viewed along the length of the ship.

Oosterdam%20Cruise%20Ship.jpg

article-2673878-1F3E9D2400000578-41_634x423.jpg

I am always amazed how sleek the dam ships look when they turn and sail past the condos in Port Everglades and you get a side view.

westerdam-holland-america-line-cruise-ship-photos-2015-03-04-at-philipsburg-st-maarten.jpg

I haven't been paying attention to the K'dam, so I had no idea she would look like that. Boxy is an understatement. She looks like a container ship from that back angle. :eek: And I don't think she's that much better looking from the side. I know the days of the sleek beauties are gone (and yeah, I understand why), but this is the least attractive of HAL's ships.

I doubt I'll sail on her as long as there are smaller ships available, so it doesn't really matter to me. But I can't imagine this ship generating that "ooh, there's our ship!" feeling as we approach the port.

Yeah shipyard registries have to take place, then before handoff they'll paint over and paint ROTTERDAM back there.

HAL is one of the very few lines that still register ships in a - how can I say this - developed first-world country.

This was not always the case.

After original registry in Holland, during the history the Dam ships have been registered to Nassau too and also to Willemstad Curacao, before registering back to Rotterdam, Holland again. I do not know the exact years by hart, but I think somewhere in the eighties.

As far as I know, this used to be for tax purposes, but at some point in time, the “climate” in Holland changed again for the better, so many Dutch ships are back under the Red, White and blue again these days. :D

This was not always the case.

After original registry in Holland, during the history the Dam ships have been registered to Nassau too and also to Willemstad Curacao, before registering back to Rotterdam, Holland again. I do not know the exact years by hart, but I think somewhere in the eighties.

As far as I know, this used to be for tax purposes, but at some point in time, the “climate” in Holland changed again for the better, so many Dutch ships are back under the Red, White and blue again these days. :D

I stand corrected, HAL ships have only been registered to Willemstad Curacao, before returning back to Rotterdam as homeport, so they have always been under Dutch flag, just a tax friendly home port in the early seventees.

1/8/2017 will be my first Hal cruise, Reading about this ship is interesting and fun.

My ancestry is German/Dutch and married name is Kingsbury so I booked for

the name and its a new ship, don't care if it looks boxy outside, its the

inside I'm interested in. Love learning the history of ships, Thanks to all

of you for sharing

Sandra

Love this great Aft picture, I can see my cabin on deck 7 :D

As can I see mine!

And I think she looks better from the tailend than any of the current Vistas. Or the Veendam or even Rotterdam. ;)

Edited by sppunk

I stand corrected, HAL ships have only been registered to Willemstad Curacao, before returning back to Rotterdam as homeport, so they have always been under Dutch flag, just a tax friendly home port in the early seventees.

There was a time when the current Veendam was registered in Nassau. She was the last of the HAL ships to be

registered to Rotterdam.

Edited by sail7seas

I remember reading about the country of registration swap for new builds when they are handed over to the owners.

I think that may be somewhat unique to HAL, since both the yard and the nominal home port are in EU countries. It may have to do with taxes or duties. Most ships are not officially "registered" at all until the owner gets title. The shipyard gets a temporary "permit to sail" from the country where the yard is, to allow sea trials.

Vis a vis the comments on the two pictures, it really does look like two different ships! The stern view does not present a graceful, beautiful ship. The side view is so much more attractive. But then, how many stern views can be considered graceful. . .

With any of the HAL ships they are 'intended' to be register in Nassau under Bahamian Registry, The ships are registered as HAL as owners.... will have considerable tax breaks because the ships will be 'foreign' registered. ie out if EU.

For the moment the ship is flying Italian before the ship is completely registered. When finished.... the vessel will be finished and registered under Bahamas. The builders hands out bill of sale and the ship is registered. When all of those formalities are complete..... HAL then formally a request to register under the Netherlands Registry. The Dutch inspectors have all of the documents etc and the ship then become officially registered in port of Rotterdam. The name NASSAU is removed and then instead the name port Rotterdam in put in. Takes over in a few minutes.

I think that may be somewhat unique to HAL, since both the yard and the nominal home port are in EU countries. It may have to do with taxes or duties. Most ships are not officially "registered" at all until the owner gets title. The shipyard gets a temporary "permit to sail" from the country where the yard is, to allow sea trials.

I've seen photos of the Queen Mary 2 flying the French tricolor when she was undergoing sea trials (as she was built in France).

So in the early 70s, the fleet was registered in Willemstad, Curaçao and still flew the Dutch tricolor much as today P&O/Princess/Cunard ships are registered in Hamilton, Bemuda and fly the Red Duster. In the 80s, the Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam were registered in Philipsburg, St. Maarten while Rotterdam (V) remained registered in Willemstad. As new ships came on (starting with previous Westerdam) the new ships were registered in the Bahamas. Eventually, due to a better tax climate, all of the ships returned to the Dutch register (at Rotterdam) except for Veendam which remained Bahamian until about 10 years ago or so. The reason was at the time, there weren't enough Dutch officers to man all the ships, so British officers were used. Now Dutch law permits EU citizens to command and be officers, so Veendam was reflagged to the Netherlands and you have a mix and match of Dutch, British, Irish, and Canadian officers (and I'm missing a few other nationalities , I'm sure)