Safety in ports?

iiisummeriii

I'm planning a cruise in January, and I will be taking my 20yr old daughter and her (male) friend. Our ports are Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Will it be safe to have them travel around alone while we are in port? Are there any warnings anyone can give me regarding any of these ports? Thanks so much and happy cruising!!

Just keep your wits about you the same way you do when you go some place crowded and/or strange.

Lots of people let their guards down when on vacation and we really cant afford to do that.

I am sure people will approach your daughter and friend to tell them about some party going on somewhere.. jsut tell them to ignore them and move on. Thats in Jamica- your ports are safe- if not your cruiselines wont go there no longer. (look what happened to St Croix)

i didn't feel unsafe in jamaica at all, simply politely rejected requests for items that i did not want, no different than being at home...common sense and manners goes a LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG Way!

Hi have been to all these ports and I wouldn't do anything but a ships tour in Jamaica. Friends of ours did go into town on there own in a Taxi recommened by the security at the port, and once they got to town did there shopping (which is another story all together) the taxi refused to take them back to the port until they paid twice as much in fare as was agreed. They paid it as they felt threatened and just wanted to get back to the port area. We did a ships tour of snorkeling and beach time, enjoyed it felt safe but they told us to stay in the secured resort area, we were returned to the ship safely . Our friends ended up spending more on there own than we did on the ships tour. Go figure. There were others we met while on the ship that would not even get off the ship in Jamaica, just stayed on board. From what they said they had been there before and had bad experiences and just preferred to stay on board. Now this is just my opinion because the previous poster enjoys the stop and likes Jamaica, but I would not let your daughter and friend go out on their own in Jamaica. You might want to check out the destinations board here on CC to get more information.

Cori

Jamaica is NOT a safe place, they should NOT go alone... Unless they're into drugs, then they'll probably enjoy it. :eek: Jamaica is not a place you should ever go into without going on a ships tour, and even those are uncomfortable.

Grand Cayman is very safe, Cozumel is fine, but next time do yourself a favor and pick a cruise that does NOT stop in the nasty hellhole known as Jamaica. Or better yet, go to the Eastern Caribbean, it's MUCH nicer - The islands and beaches are a lot prettier.

I agree with previous poster, Jamaica both Montego Bay and Ocho Rios should be taken off the itinerary list. It would be a deciding factor for us as to whether or not we book a cruise with a cruise line or not. But that is just me.

Cori

Jamaica is NOT a safe place, they should NOT go alone... Unless they're into drugs, then they'll probably enjoy it. :eek:
Actually, they'll probably enjoy it a LOT less if they are into drugs. It's fairly common that a person offering drugs to cruisers on shore in a Jamaican port will turn around and report the buyer to a friend on the police force. The police will arrest the tourist, give the seller back his drugs and/or a "tipster" cash reward, and then tell the tourist/buyer that they are facing a lot of hard time in jail unless a fairly hefty "fine" is paid, directly to the policeman. Don't take my word for this -- ask the onboard Port Lecturer, or a Ship's Security Officer.

We've been to both Ocho Rios and Montego Bay on cruises, and plan to stay onboard if our cruises ever take us back to Jamaica again.

John

We don't even get off the ship in Jamiaca. Last November, our ship stopped in Montego Bay. One women was knifed, and another group was held hostage by a cab driver who wouldn't return them to the ship until they met his new price.

The only way I'd go anywhere in Jamiaca would be with a ship's excursion that didn't stop to let you go shopping. Nothing I would want from there.

Oh honestly I am so tired of the horrible Jamaica rap. I love the island. There are fabulous local tour guides who can show you their island and you will love it. Go to the Jamaica board and there will be reccomendations of excellent tour guides and tours.

Also stay away from the drugs. Anyone caught using drugs will be tossed in a Jamaican prison without the benefits of the laws that protect people in either Canada or the US. Jamaica has relativly low tolerance for drugs despite its reputation.

No, Jamaica is not at all like the US and not as rich as some other Caribbean Islands. It is a gorgeous place with it's own flavor and character and just a gem. I have been there 13 times. I don't do drugs and I had a wonderful time. The key to enjoying the island is to get out of Mobay and into the interior or another place of interest.

I have not been to Ocho Rios in about 10 or 15 years and once was enough...I could not wait to get back onboard my ship.

The question I have is what is stopping the major cruise lines from dropping Jamaica from their itineraries and forcing the government to clean things up?

Could it be that the other Caribbean island countries are aligned with Jamaica and therefore force the cruise lines to continue to visit that island.

Jamaica is truly a beautiful island and it is a shame that the government of Jamaice cannot clean things up and make it into another Cayman Islands!;)

Jamaica is not the Caymans and it would not be the Caymans anymore than the US should be more like any other country. Every country has it's good and it's bad. The Cayman's have some issues too although that is offshore bank account mucking and not street crime. Also, having stayed in the Caymans for a week I can tell you it is a boring set of islands.

The cruiselines go to Jamaica because the port fees are reasonable, the island is on the route to Mexico and close to the Caymans and people do like going there.

I am not enamoured of some of the practices of the locals but I would hate a washed over, sanitized version of Jamaica even worse.

Don't go off the beaten path alone....go in groups....don't let your daughters/children travel alone or speak with strangers or go to locals' parties. Jamaica is a poor, impoverished country that has luxury resorts built on it. I have been to countries where white westerners would never get out of the airport alive when arriving if not travelling with a native citizen, but Jamaica is NOT that way.....just be vigilant, careful and use common sense. Beaches I suppose at one time were fabulous, they're o.k. now.

Now I am a little concerned..we will be in Ochos Rios in December. Is the cruise line going to protect you if something happens. I was told by a guy that grew up there and now resides in the US to try the kentucky fried chicken. He said it would be the best chicken I ever had. Now I am scared to go into town to get it. We were also wanting to go to Dunn's Falls. Can anybody recamend a good excursion with the ship for this particular excursion.

Vanessa

DH and I did the Dunn's Falls Tour and we enjoyed it very much, the water and scenery were beautiful. It is a bit of a climb, though, especially if you are not in the best of shape, but our group all worked well as a team and the strong helped the ones who needed it. There also are places along the climb that you can get out of the river if you can't keep climbing. Then you can take the steps along the side of the river.

The only problems I had were the tour guides hounding you for tips while we were trying to get out of the river at the final platform. Like I have money stuffed in my swimsuit somewhere! I told them they would have to wait until we got back to our lockers. The other problem was being forced to 'stroll' through their shopping market at the conclusion of the tour. The shopping market was conveniently designed as a maze and the people selling in there were so rude that after we finally found our way out of there I wanted to go directly back to the ship.

I did think Jamaica was a beautiful place, but BEEEEEE careful and travel smart, don't take unnecessary risks. I was sorry that we missed the Margaritaville, though, many cruisers had a great time there and it was really close to our dock. We sailed on Victory:)

We avoided taking a western Caribbean cruise after our first one because we did not want to go back to Jamaica. It's the only port where I've felt unsafe. We took an excursion through the ship to Dunn's River Falls. That part was great. Our excursion was a party boat that stopped at the base of the falls. We had time to climb the falls and swim in the water at the beach. The boat ride back was a big party with plenty of rum punch and island music.

After getting back from our excursion, we had time to go into Ocho Rios. We should have stayed on the ship.

Finally in 2003, we took another western Caribbean cruise. We picked it specifically because the itinerary did not include Jamaica. Ironically, the ship ended up stopping off the coast at Montego Bay to medivac a sick passenger. Seeing the lights of Montego Bay from a safe distance is as close as I want to be.

I have been to all these places (with my DH and kids). We felt perfectly safe in Grand Cayman and in Cozumel. In grand Cayman we walked around the shopping area by the tender pier and felt perfectly safe. In Cozumel we were comfortable taking a taxi around by ourselves and doing our own thing. In Ocho Rios we did walk around the port area and we were not "hassled". We were just offered taxi rides and my DH was offered pot once. A polite "no thank you" was enough. I am not sure that I would take a taxi around Jamaica because there seems to be a lot of stories on this site of people who ran into trouble doing that.

Money stuffed in your bathing suit...that is funny! I suppose that has probably happened before...LOL... Did you book Dunns through the ship or privately? What is the Margaritaville tour about? My husband and I were kinda leanig towards Dunns but the Margaritaville sounds fun also. We will be on the Victory December 4/05 and then the Valor 12/11/05

Vanessa

A ships tour would be safe. They dont want anything to happen to you so they will watch out. But there are some very good private tour operators that know where to go and the locals respect them and their clients. Go to the Jamaica ports of call board and check it out. We did Dunn River Falls and river tubing, then had jerk chicken at a local restaurant-yum. Were the first to the falls (so not crowded), done by 2 pm and still had time to shop.

Actually, they'll probably enjoy it a LOT less if they are into drugs. It's fairly common that a person offering drugs to cruisers on shore in a Jamaican port will turn around and report the buyer to a friend on the police force. The police will arrest the tourist, give the seller back his drugs and/or a "tipster" cash reward, and then tell the tourist/buyer that they are facing a lot of hard time in jail unless a fairly hefty "fine" is paid, directly to the policeman. Don't take my word for this -- ask the onboard Port Lecturer, or a Ship's Security Officer.

Our first cruise went to Jamaica, and our cruise director warned us about this exact thing. From our observance while in port (been there three times) it's probably true.

My DH is totally blind, and we've walked into town in Jamaica. It's not a "feel safe" kind of place, but we have been mostly left alone. LOL-When we've been approached, they take one look at DH, ask if he's blind, and then apologize to us and walk away. We were told by one of our tour guides that in Jamaica, all blind persons are institutionalized almost from birth, so the idea of a blind person walking around doing normal things is sort of a sign from God to them. This maybe makes us safer than some others would be. Even so, we stick close to port in Ocho Rios, except on the guided tours.

A word of caution even about the guided tours. We went on a river tubing excursion last time there, and our van stopped for a refreshment on the way back. DH was seated next to the driver, so only he heard this, but while passengers complained mightily about not being allowed to get out of the van (they brought the drinks around to the windows and passed them in), it was for good reason. The driver told DH someone had been shot there only a week earlier, in broad daylight, in a heavily touristed area. He was afraid to let any of the passengers get out of the van--or to tell them why.

On our 1st trip, there was a local strike and all the port-recommended shopping places were closed. Our tour guide took us to another place in town, and we had a good time, but there was a lot of enmity aimed at the cruise lines, who supposedly favor certain shops, and the passengers who seem so rich to the locals. I had VERY long hair at the time, and it was clear that they felt I was cheating them out of a living by refusing to have it braided! It's just not a good mix. Too bad, because of all the islands we've been to, the excursions on Jamaica have been the most exciting and fun.

There should be a ship excursion that offers Dunns River Falls and a plantation trip with the final stop at the Bob Marley museum. If you do that excursion you will end up at the museum which is part of a gated shopping mecca outside the port. It is perfectly safe to go from the shopping area to the boat as long as you ignore the beggars and drug pushers outside of the fence. Just stay focused on the ship. I am not a big fan of Jamaica but if you stay close to the ship while not on an excursion you should be fine.

check the jamaica ports of call board for recommendations for local tour guides. I'm not sure I'd be real comfortable just walking off on my own, but we had a very good tour a couple of years ago from Peat Taylor. See http://www.peattaylor.com.

as other have said, just like traveling anywhere, you need to use a little common sense and be careful, but I wouldn't anticipate any problems if you are touring with Peat.

Archived