Is Charging A Cancellation Fee Now The Norm?

jewlrybabe

I transferred my Summit 3/17 booking to a very very large TA located in Moultonboro NH. I had to go around and around with them. First OBC was $100.00, transferred the booking to TA. OBC changes to $75.00. Then I was informed there would be a $100.00 charge if we were to cancel the cruise. (We are not planning to do this.) Is this the new norm?

We are Elite on Celebrity, upper Diamond on RCL, and Platium on Carnival. You would think we were customers that they like to retain. Anyway I don't need anyones help. I just needed to vent. Thanks for "Listening".:mad:

Edited by jewlrybabe

I transferred my Summit 3/17 booking to a very very large TA located in Moultonboro NH. I had to go around and around with them. First OBC was $100.00, transferred the booking to TA. OBC changes to $75.00. Then I was informed there would be a $100.00 charge if we were to cancel the cruise. (We are not planning to do this.) Is this the new norm?

We are Elite on Celebrity, upper Diamond on RCL, and Platium on Carnival. You would think we were customers that they like to retain. Anyway I don't need anyones help. I just needed to vent. Thanks for "Listening".:mad:

Is this your 1st time using them?

It is becoming common for TA's to charge cancellation penalties.

It seems, we are going to start seeing more cruise lines also charge cancellation penalty even if the cancelation is made prior to final payment date.

It likely is because many people drop down deposits rather willy nilly, they hold cabins that could otherwise be booked by others and then they cancel. Some people will put a hold on 2 or 3 or more cabins (different cruise lines or different dates) and they may end up no cruising at all.

It pays to ask those questions of a TA prior to booking with them. Unfortunately there are those who charge a separate fee from the cruise lines for modifying a reservation, changing a cruise, or cancelling a booking altogether, and IMO they should be avoided. All TA's are compensated the same by the cruise lines. IMO, those that charge extra fees for their service are taking advantage of their customers with these over charges. There are many very good TA's that do not charge these fees - just ask up front.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I have used mentioned TA, was charged the cancellation fee, then several days later, issued a "goodwill voucher" for that amount to be used as OBC on a future cruise. BTW, I used it, no worries, and got a bang of a deal by using that TA...

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk