Luggage Labels

snowyboy

1) (additional expense) - One can get these on-line for roughly $2/per. So one has spent an additional $10-$20 on an item that can be used repeatedly. In the scheme of a $2K - 10K vacation that is peanuts.

2) Can 1-2 minutes of YOUR time be all that important. If it is, you probably should not be taking time out for a cruise. And 1-2 minutes is actually all it takes . . . . . . been there, done that.

John, I totally agree. As you say you can DIY if you want to (I bought some of the luggage tags via Amazon which did me for Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara cruises, although they currently show as unavailable because probably many are doing the same thing) or get them at the port. They are set up to do it there and I've done it many times, four this year. In the grand scheme of things not getting luggage tags is a non-issue.

Phil

2. Getting them from the porters is a hassle and takes additional time for for me and the porters. We live in a society that doesn't want to wait for things, we want it now. Sorry, it's just the way the world is these days.

Doc - really? How does it take you extra time to show you documents to the porter - you need to do that anyway - and have them write a cabin number on a couple of luggage tags? Certainly faster than ordering them online and wastes less paper too.

Doc - really? How does it take you extra time to show you documents to the porter - you need to do that anyway - and have them write a cabin number on a couple of luggage tags? Certainly faster than ordering them online and wastes less paper too.

Az_tchr - please re-read my post. I was quoting a poster who stated it was a hassle. I have never thought so.

Edited by DocJohnB

Yes, I want it now, my boarding X, that is... getting luggage tags ship side are inconsequential when in under five (5) minutes a Porter can take and tag your bags (you have to give them your bags anyway) and one is still on their way to another speedy check-in even without XPress pass, which can take up to ten (10) additional minutes...

My take would be, if one is boarding close to cut-off time (or intend to) then that could be a challenge for sure OR the idea of tipping the Porter for service is an issue, I understand that too...

bon voyage

Have you experienced getting luggage tags in under 5 mins?? A couple of years ago our tags did not arrive in the mail and we were told don't worry collect them at the pier. We arrived at the pier and were told to go to the line that was issuing tags before handing the bags over to the porter. The line was at least 40 mins long and no shade form the sun. After standing in line for the tags we then had to go and queue for the usual boarding process.

I wonder if the lines will be even longer now if luggage tags are no longer available.

I have just had an email reply from Celebrity UK advising me they no longer issue luggage tags.

You must call the Captain's Club and ask that they be mailed. Ordering them online does not work even though it appears that you can so I would not even try. It takes about 10 calendar days for them to arrive after confirming the ship to address on the phone so plan ahead.

Otherwise just do what previous posters have stated above.

Question - How far in advance were you able to order the luggage tags? The cruise is Feb 28th. The Web site says they will be ready 2 months in advance. I just checked & they are not available.

Thanks!!

Question - How far in advance were you able to order the luggage tags? The cruise is Feb 28th. The Web site says they will be ready 2 months in advance. I just checked & they are not available.

Thanks!!

Just wondering if you read this thread?

The system for ordering luggage tags is simply put not working for about 50% or more of those traveling. Just arrive at the pier and a porter will tag your luggage. OK? Do not stress or even try or get them mailed to you.

PS - Doc - Sorry it was a quote from another poster inside your post. Need new glasses.

Edited by az_tchr

Thanks!!

Call Celebrity and have them sent out.

Every time (4-5) I used the porters it took less than 2-3 minutes. And I normally arrive when it is quite busy.

Have you experienced getting luggage tags in under 5 mins?? A couple of years ago our tags did not arrive in the mail and we were told don't worry collect them at the pier. We arrived at the pier and were told to go to the line that was issuing tags before handing the bags over to the porter. The line was at least 40 mins long and no shade form the sun. After standing in line for the tags we then had to go and queue for the usual boarding process.

I wonder if the lines will be even longer now if luggage tags are no longer available.

I have just had an email reply from Celebrity UK advising me they no longer issue luggage tags.

There are approximately 3000 passengers on the S class ships.

(OK so it might be 1500 couples) but even 1500 x 2 minutes each is 3000 minutes which translates to 50 hours!

Let's say there are 20 porters (and I don't really think there are that many writing tags) - that's 2 1/2 extra hours!

If everyone took the advice to have them put on at the port the lines would be absolutely awful!

Edited by chamima

(OK so it might be 1500 couples) but even 1500 x 2 minutes each is 3000 minutes which translates to 50 hours!

Let's say there are 20 porters (and I don't really think there are that many writing tags) - that's 2 1/2 extra hours!

If everyone took the advice to have them put on at the port the lines would be absolutely awful!

That would be a good possibility if everybody arrived at the port sans luggage tags. However, luggage tags are available online along with the express pass necessary to board and from my observation over many cruise recently are being utilized.

2 minutes each???

Maybe the porters were on a slowdown strike that day. :D

It takes me about 10 seconds to fill out and attach a luggage tag at the pier when I do it myself.

The porters do it much more quickly than I can.

We have pulled up in a full van with 20 people and the porters have come over to us, pulled out and tagged all the bags and had them all stacked on their carts in under 5 minutes.

All we needed to do was get out of the van, point out our bags and tell them our cabin number.

As for lines, all 3000 passengers do not arrive at the port at the same time.

There are times throughout the day when there are long lines (usually when boarding begins),

times when there are short lines,

and even times when there are no lines at all.

At some ports, you need to take your bags over to the porter's station and wait to check them, if there is a line.

At other ports, the porters come right over to you to collect your bags as you arrive.

If we need to wait in line to check bags, many of us tag our bags and fill out health forms while we are waiting.

The only time we found pre-ordering and pre-tagging the bags to be an advantage to us was when traveling with a group where the leader took care of handling and checking in all the luggage for the entire group.

Having a porter print and attach my luggage tags at the port is ridiculous. Extra time, increased probably of error. (I want my luggage in my stateroom.)

I print them, attach them myself, so I KNOW they are correct, and simply pass them to the porter at the pier and I'm done. Faster and more secure. It is so easy I simply can't understand why anyone would want otherwise.

Having a porter print and attach my luggage tags at the port is ridiculous. Extra time, increased probably of error. (I want my luggage in my stateroom.)

I print them, attach them myself, so I KNOW they are correct, and simply pass them to the porter at the pier and I'm done. Faster and more secure. It is so easy I simply can't understand why anyone would want otherwise.

Has there been any posting about or knowledge of 'lost' luggage when permitting a porter to tag a bag?

While I trend towards being obsessive/compulsive in many areas of living, this is not one of them, to be sure. Just having a good time aboard is the passion. It is not like giving your luggage to an airport porter where the odds are very good that ones luggage may be mis-loaded or forgotten altogether and we do not 'pre-print' luggage tags for flights or at least not here in the U.S. we see either porters or ticket agents attach tags and placed on a belt, I rather think that a porter mis-writing and losing your luggage ship side is quite infinitesimally small or will someone correct me on this?

Alas, bon voyage (I leave in three (3) weeks....)

Edited by Bo1953
syntax

Unable to print our baggage tags from the website - kept getting various "unable" messages. First phone call to Celebrity - on hold for 20 minutes or more -gave up. Called next day - quick answer - agent could see I had tried to get to my booking and had not been able to. She ordered the tags and they arrived a week later.

Now ready to roll!

How strange and paradoxical that someone would trust the porters enough to leave their bags with them but not trust them to tag the bags.

After all, you are standing right there and can see what cabin number they put on the tags, but you cannot see what they do with your bags after you walk away. :eek:

For passengers with normal vision, it only takes a brief glance at the luggage tags to check the cabin number on them and immediately "KNOW they are correct".

But even for someone with vision problems, it is not necessary to waste your time needing to start printing out a form to make your own luggage tags at home as you can simply ask another passenger with normal vision to check the cabin number on the tags for you.

Or, if you don't trust anyone else either, you can just use some of the blank tags provided at the pier and write your cabin number on them yourself.

Quick and easy. No printing, no cutting, no folding, no laminating, no stapling, no special holders, fasteners, tape, or zip ties needed.:)

How strange and paradoxical that someone would trust the porters enough to leave their bags with them but not trust them to tag the bags.

After all, you are standing right there and can see what cabin number they put on the tags, but you cannot see what they do with your bags after you walk away. :eek:

For passengers with normal vision, it only takes a brief glance at the luggage tags to check the cabin number on them and immediately "KNOW they are correct".

But even for someone with vision problems, it is not necessary to waste your time needing to start printing out a form to make your own luggage tags at home as you can simply ask another passenger with normal vision to check the cabin number on the tags for you.

Or, if you don't trust anyone else either, you can just use some of the blank tags provided at the pier and write your cabin number on them yourself.

Quick and easy. No printing, no cutting, no folding, no laminating, no stapling, no special holders, fasteners, tape, or zip ties needed.:)

I can print my tags and put them on my luggage quicker than it took you to write your opinionated spiel about why your way appears to be the easiest and the best !

Don't be rude. It is indeed faster to simply hand them to a porter. I do always watch them write the cabin number as they do it quickly and people do make mistakes. Faster than printing them at home, but just my opinion.

Here's why I always attach luggage tags in advance especially if I'm flying. In case anything happens with my luggage with the airlines my luggage tags have valuable information. Buying luggage tag holders is a one time expense and can be reused many times and you never have to worry about the condition of your tags.

Tom:)

There was a case reported recently where luggage got on the wrong SHIP, when there were two ships of the same line in the same port at the same time. So don't tell me putting just the stateroom number is all that is necessary.

When I print my own tags, they have the cruise line, the ship name, the cruise number, the stateroom number AND the section of the ship it's going to. Since it's so quick and easy to do, I can't think of any reason to forgo such detailed information to save 2 minutes at home before the cruise. Two folds, one whack with a stapler and you're done. (I also put a second copy inside the luggage, just in case.)

SO easy!

There was a case reported recently where luggage got on the wrong SHIP, when there were two ships of the same line in the same port at the same time. So don't tell me putting just the stateroom number is all that is necessary.

When I print my own tags, they have the cruise line, the ship name, the cruise number, the stateroom number AND the section of the ship it's going to. Since it's so quick and easy to do, I can't think of any reason to forgo such detailed information to save 2 minutes at home before the cruise. Two folds, one whack with a stapler and you're done. (I also put a second copy inside the luggage, just in case.)

SO easy!

I agree totally , but be careful not to hurt the feelings of the " I let the porter tag my luggage" , crowd .

This topic follows the same lines and opinions as the "Dressing up for formal nights" discussions that are endless on here.

This topic would die , but new cruisers keep asking questions about luggage tags and the back and forth proponents start their banter. I get drawn into it obviously, when someone thinks their way is the best.

I can print my tags and put them on my luggage quicker than it took you to write your opinionated spiel about why your way appears to be the easiest and the best !

Uncalled for comment.

I agree totally , but be careful not to hurt the feelings of the " I let the porter tag my luggage" , crowd .

This topic follows the same lines and opinions as the "Dressing up for formal nights" discussions that are endless on here.

This topic would die , but new cruisers keep asking questions about luggage tags and the back and forth proponents start their banter. I get drawn into it obviously, when someone thinks their way is the best.

No, you are just a Celebrity apologist and try to demean anyone that has critique or a comment contrary to your opinion.

People only ask for things that are promised to them on the website or by the telephone reps. If they are not forthcoming, they wish to know why.

No feelings being hurt except those folks you address with your staunch defense of situations that you have not encountered but others experienced.

Are you a Celebrity employee? You sound like it.

Edited by pete_coach

Packing for our trip and ready to attach the luggage tags we got from our travel agent. I thought I would be clever and ordered the Cruise Critic Luggage Tag holders for RCCL/Celebrity cruises. Has anyone used these?

The luggage tags are about 2 inches longer than the plastic tags when folded in half. This seems to be a good way to totally lose the luggage tag. When folded so that they can read the ship and cabin info the name and bar code would be obscured. How do people use these plastic tags? I feel like I spent money on these and they are useless! H E L P!

I just ordered my luggage tags today. I was given the option of printing my own or have them mailed to me. I'm having them mail to me. We cruise in 48 days. I have been checking daily if the luggage tags were available. Today was the 1st day they were available.