Chile to Argentina - Voyage #6722

Stumblefoot

Since our daughter will be off to her first year in college in two years, we've decided to reward ourselves with a trip that doesn't revolve around school holiday schedules to celebrate! And, since our last cruise was in the fjords of Norway, we thought it would be fun if our next one was in the fjords of Chile on the new Silver Muse.

Would love to hear from those (Duct Tape, Silver Spectre, et al.) who've done a similar voyage (Valparaiso to Buenos Aires) as to what the "must see" items are, whether they be via private guides or ship excursions.

Go!!!

Brian, Congratulations on seeing Taylor off to College and for rewarding yourselves. We have friends (Gene & Lucille--maybe they will post here) who are also booked on this voyage next October. We visit Montevideo, Punta de Este, and Buenos Aires next month on the Spirit. FYI, we have private tours arranged for each (bike riding in both Montevideo and Punta, and wine tasting in Monetevideo, full day tour of BA). If you want feedback on how these go, just let me know here or on FB. Brian, looked very, very closely at Silversea's private four nite land trip to Machu Picchu prior to our Silver Galapagos cruise this September. In case y'all plan on doing a Machu Picchu pre cruise--will be glad to share the private tour we are taking (includes same SS hotels, Hiram Bingahm train that the Grande explorer SS Machu Picchu tour includes, plus we get an extra nite in Cusco and another half day in MP) savings--$4K.

Hopefully, Ida will enjoy the East Coast of South America this month and February, we may just book this Muse 2017 Voyage on board the Spirit.

We did BA to Valparaiso to FLL several years ago. The highlights of the trip for us were the fjords, Torres del Paine (well worth the cost), the Falklands and Puerto Madryn and the Puerto Valdez excursion to see the penguins.

We did BA to Valparaiso to FLL several years ago. The highlights of the trip for us were the fjords, Torres del Paine (well worth the cost), the Falklands and Puerto Madryn and the Puerto Valdez excursion to see the penguins.
Thank you very much Emtbsam.

After seeing the pic of Torres del Paine, I have no doubt we will find a way to see those spectacular mountains. Wow!

torres-del-paine_3.jpg

Hopefully, Ida will enjoy the East Coast of South America this month and February, we may just book this Muse 2017 Voyage on board the Spirit.
Thx Wes. We love Miss Taylor dearly, but are really looking forward to this trip as just husband and wife. :) It'll only be our third one ever! It sure would be a lot of fun to share a bottle (or five) with you and Ida on board to celebrate this next stage in life should you decide to join this voyage. We had the good folks at Pavlus secure us a suite smack dab in the middle of the ship. Maybe Terry from Ohio and his bride could join in the fun too. I'm sure his trip report of the Chilean fjords would rival his Norway voyage and take some of the pressure off of us.

I look forward to following your trip this month out of Bridgetown and seeing what you have to say about Montevideo, Punta de Este, and Buenos Aires. And, I hope that Gene and Lucille will post here too so that we can all learn from them as well next year.

As crazy as this might sound, Machu Picchu didn't even cross my mind. But, looking at a map tonight, I see where we could fly into Lima first, before heading on down to Santiago, to incorporate this incredible Inca site into our plans. When you get a moment, shoot me the details of your private tour. And, I'll be sure to watch for your feedback after you visit this September.

Hi Stumblefoot, we are lucky enough to have done that trip a couple of times, firstly on the Pacific Princess in the early 90's and the highlights were Puerto Monte and seeing the volcano in a clear blue sky, whales from Puerto Madryn in Argentina, a very typical spring day in the Flaklands, and best of all the sail through the Angostura Inglesa (English Narrows) in the Chilean Fjords at high tide. Unfortunately the Muse will be too big to do the latter.

On our recent trip the highlights were again the Falklands, where we did our own thing for 10% of the ships tour price and went and saw the penguins, a visit to Punte del Este and seeing the Ralli Museum and Casapueblo, home of Carlos Paez Vilaro.

Our day sailing through the Chilean Fjords was blighted by rain, fog and very high winds.

In Ushuia we did a ships trip on 4x4's that was not only crap but ended up in a visit to a slum. Avoid!

We also thoroughly enjoyed Montevideo, but again did our own thing.

Edited by Silver Spectre