Fort Lauderdale hotels Mar 2016

SMSACE6

It is that time of year again! My parents, (both in their 80's) were not going to travel this year, yet once the snow started to fly, they began talking of yet another cruise. This is a concern for me, given their ages, and health conditions, but it is not up to me to tell them what to do, or not to do.

They are booked on a cruise out of Port Everglades on the 25 Mar, which is an expensive time I know, but they have booked an expensive balcony room on their favorite ship, plus airfare at high price, but are balking and freaking out about the hotel costs in Fort Lauderdale.

I don't get it, why they are ok with booking a very expensive cruise and expensive air fare from Canada, yet cant seem to understand the pricing for hotels being what they are.

Question is; best I could find for them in their preferred area, is Embassy Suites at 265.00 per night. Does anyone in the know, think this is a reasonable rate? given the time of year, high season, and march break times? I think they cant do any better. But they being them...will spend on cruise cost, airfare, but begrudge hotel costs.

I however see, that hotel cost is part of the total cost, and they just have to suck it up. I have found some hotels 40 dollars or so less, but in areas that they do not know, or in areas where there is nothing nearby to eat, or walk, etc.

So for end of March is 265.00 per night a reasonable cost in Ft Lauderdale?

Thanks. Just trying to prove my point to them.

March 25 is Good Friday and the beginning of Easter weekend - there will be families ending cruises (especially those whose children had Holy Week vacations) and others beginning them if their school system has the following week off. Not to mention the non-cruiser vacationers (which cruisers never consider but are a high proportion of Fort Lauderdale visitors). It is the last big weekend of the high season and priced accordingly. Tell your folks to travel in the summer/hurricane season if they want to save money - prices will be 1/2 to 1/3 high season prices!

Edited by capriccio

Thanks Capriccio,

I know all this, but they don't want to accept it from me. They only want to travel in the winter, because they find winter hard on them up here in Canada. They have no interest in cruising or travelling in Sept. (That is when I go lol, because I really have to budget), they don't have to, they have the bucks, good pensions, yet begrudge paying the going rate in good hotels. This bugs me to no end! they will pay a high price for a balcony room on the ship, and a high price for preferred seats on the plane, but they will bi**h and complain about paying the going price for a decent hotel, yet they wont go to a days inn, or similar because it is below their standards.

This comes up every year, they don't want to pay the going hotel rates yet, don't want to go to a cheapo hotel either.

I think 265.00 at Embassy, while very high rate, is not going to be bettered by any others in the 17st area during that time frame.

Just looking for some back up in my opinion. thanks though.:)

Thanks Capriccio,

I know all this, but they don't want to accept it from me. They only want to travel in the winter, because they find winter hard on them up here in Canada. They have no interest in cruising or travelling in Sept. (That is when I go lol, because I really have to budget), they don't have to, they have the bucks, good pensions, yet begrudge paying the going rate in good hotels. This bugs me to no end! they will pay a high price for a balcony room on the ship, and a high price for preferred seats on the plane, but they will bi**h and complain about paying the going price for a decent hotel, yet they wont go to a days inn, or similar because it is below their standards.

This comes up every year, they don't want to pay the going hotel rates yet, don't want to go to a cheapo hotel either.

I think 265.00 at Embassy, while very high rate, is not going to be bettered by any others in the 17st area during that time frame.

Just looking for some back up in my opinion. thanks though.:)

I think you are 100% correct (and I live in Broward County) but I doubt that will carry much weight with your folks!:p Actually I'm surprised that the Embassy Suites wasn't closer to $300/night.

One night for check in on March 24 at the Comfort Suites in Dania Beach with airport shuttle and breakfast included would cost them $165 including tax (but prepaid) through http://www.expedia-aarp.com. The reviews on Trip Advisor are good for this airport-area hotel and that website also offers Cambria Suites in Dania Beach for slightly less (no breakfast included).

I agree with you. That $265 rate is pretty fair considering it's a holiday weekend at the end of the high season down there. As someone else already posted it is surprising the rate isn't more than the $265 for the Embassy Suites.

We booked for a mid March cruise and then were major sticker shocked at the cost of hotels in the area closet to Port Everglades. We found nothing under $325 a night (including ES) without going a ways out. Broke down and took a chance doing Priceline and got the Hilton Marina for $232 (plus tax) which in my opinion is still crazy high. I was able to specify that specific area and "star" level. Might be worth a try.

Edited by Cabogirl13

Thanks to all who have posted. I have booked them at Embassy Suites for 265.00 per night. They will be in an area they already are familiar with, they like Duffy's, so it is just basically across the street, and it is a nice place to hang out for two days IMO. Wish I could afford to stay there:D, I have relayed all this info and responses to them, and they are now happy to be booked there. Thanks all:)