RCI tipping

This is just more of a curiosity question... but what transparency is there in regards to gratuities? How do we know that the cruise lines do in fact pass all the "tips" from the automatic gratuities on to staff?

You don't any more than you know if you put a tip0- on a card at a restaurant that the waiter gets it.

Or in fact that the restaurant (or anywhere else) pays the award rate.

True...I only asked because I was having a debate with someone very anti automatic gratuities and his argument was he knew that by paying it himself in cash, all his money went to the staff and the company couldn't keep any. Apart from the obvious point that behind the scenes staff miss out I couldn't put up much of an argument against what he was saying.

Edited by bigdavefc
error

True...I only asked because I was having a debate with someone very anti automatic gratuities and his argument was he knew that by paying it himself in cash, all his money went to the staff and the company couldn't keep any. Apart from the obvious point that behind the scenes staff miss out I couldn't put up much of an argument against what he was saying.

I think that if the lines were shorting the crew we'd have heard.

This is just more of a curiosity question... but what transparency is there in regards to gratuities? How do we know that the cruise lines do in fact pass all the "tips" from the automatic gratuities on to staff?

You do not but then you don't know everything that they get or don't get. The cruise line would soon lose their staff if they were not. Tell your mate not to worry or stress about what they get and if they feel inclined provide additional to the auto tips to ensure they reward the ones he wants.

Edited by MicCanberra

Behind the scenes staff are not part of the tipping pool - only the service staff (stewards, waiters, bartenders). I do not believe the company would keep any of the tips. The staff have to get a minimum remuneration under the International Labor Organisation agreement. If the cruiseline kept some of the tips they would only have to make up the shortfall from their own coffers. That doesn't make sense.:)

Behind the scenes staff are not part of the tipping pool - only the service staff (stewards, waiters, bartenders). I do not believe the company would keep any of the tips. The staff have to get a minimum remuneration under the International Labor Organisation agreement. If the cruiseline kept some of the tips they would only have to make up the shortfall from their own coffers. That doesn't make sense.:)

Not quite correct, Housekeeping is also included in the auto tips but your point is still valid.

Not quite correct, Housekeeping is also included in the auto tips but your point is still valid.

I said "stewards" meaning room stewards who are in the Housekeeping department. I mentioned waiters separately as 'waiters'. The members of the housekeeping staff who clean the public areas (toilets, stairs etc.) are not part of the tip pool. :)

I said "stewards" meaning room stewards who are in the Housekeeping department. I mentioned waiters separately as 'waiters'. The members of the housekeeping staff who clean the public areas (toilets, stairs etc.) are not part of the tip pool. :)

From the RCI website -

The gratuity is shared between the crew members who serve guests throughout their holiday – the Dining Services Staff, Stateroom Attendants and other Housekeeping Services Personnel. They are aware of the gratuity policy and are grateful for the acknowledgment.

In addition, the bar staff is not included as they get their tips from the drinks or they are paid commission on drinks sold, depending on the contract.

Edited by MicCanberra

I think that if the lines were shorting the crew we'd have heard.

Agreed. Also, the contra- argument applies to cash in that there have been policies requiring staff to hand in cash tips to the pool as well, so the debater can't be "certain that the receiver keeps it all."

(And they need to do this, as an individual receiving a proportionally lower share of tips is a black mark against their service quality. A bit like how the ATO targets individuals who report less income than the average. If one room attendant claimed not to get much tips (since he was pocketing them), his contract may well not be renewed.)

Agreed. Also, the contra- argument applies to cash in that there have been policies requiring staff to hand in cash tips to the pool as well, so the debater can't be "certain that the receiver keeps it all."

(And they need to do this, as an individual receiving a proportionally lower share of tips is a black mark against their service quality. A bit like how the ATO targets individuals who report less income than the average. If one room attendant claimed not to get much tips (since he was pocketing them), his contract may well not be renewed.)

Good point about the cash tips not being reported and shared. It would be a short term gain with a long term loss of contract.

Exactly.

And considering that for many nations the lowest figure tossed around on CC ($50 a month) is a still a good income, they want to protect that job.

$50 per month, really.:eek:

That's base figure on one site recruiting for Disney. Plus tips of course

But we support a teacher in the Philippines and he gets about $100 to $200 a month and has the only concrete hose in the village (the whole village gathers there during cyclones etc. and is considered very well off.

That's base figure on one site recruiting for Disney. Plus tips of course

There must be more to it than just tips, I suppose room and board is included as well. In any case, whatever they get, they seem to renew their contracts so it cannot be too bad.