hand guns on board?

SonnekeH

. . . I cannot imagine anyone - including members of the NRA . .

You've been listening to too much of the media's wilfully ill-informed tripe.

One of the NRA's main purposes is education and gun safety, its members are just normal people in all walks of life.

Weapons, including guns, are illegal under Florida laws, at all seaports in Florida. You cannot even leave one in your car. It's highly likely you would be arrested.

Several times when entering the FLL port we (or our van driver) have been asked if anyone has any weapons on them. Our driver has told us up front that they likely would ask that.

So, I guess they do check.

It answers OP as to seaports in Florida.

There may or not be similar laws in Seattle, Boston, San Diego and other U.S. ports where HAL embarks.

With all due respect I don't think the OP was asking about a specific port or State regulation. The OP was asking about boarding a HAL ship with a handgun and referenced Americans in particular. Hal's policy's on boarding with a firearm appear to be the question which was answered in previous post- regardless of State, Country or permit. The answer is NO.

Snip<

Cool Cruiser

Question hand guns on board?

With so many Americans owning and carrying hand guns, are passengers holding valid gun permits allowed to bring hand guns on board>

Edited by sammygoose
add

You are correct, I just checked the Florida law. Here is an unofficial summary:

 In Seaports[9] – The seaport must provide clear notice of the prohibition against possession of concealed weapons and other contraband material on the premises of the seaport. Any person in a restricted area who has in his or her possession a concealed weapon, or who operates or has possession or control of a vehicle in or upon which a concealed weapon is placed or stored, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

This law should be changed. For example, if you have a knife in a toolbox in your car, you're guilty. You rent a car, drive to the port to pick someone up, and they discover a knife left under the seat or in the trunk by a previous renter, you're guilty. I really do not see how a weapon in a locked trunk in a parking garage constitutes a threat to a cruise ship.

 In Seaports[9] – The seaport must provide clear notice of the prohibition against possession of concealed weapons and other contraband material on the premises of the seaport. Any person in a restricted area who has in his or her possession a concealed weapon, or who operates or has possession or control of a vehicle in or upon which a concealed weapon is placed or stored, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

Then everyone who shows up with a scuba dive knife should be arrested. That probably happens on almost every ship that leaves FLL.

Majority of Americans do not own guns.

You are on vacation, you can leave your gun in a locked box at home.

This only applies to your home state. Chicago has the highest murder rate in the country and lowest number of gun owners.

With so many Americans owning and carrying hand guns, are passengers holding valid gun permits allowed to bring hand guns on board?:(

We live in Fla & only have a few Friends who own guns...Only one Friend carry's her gun in her purse.. HAL would not permit her to cruise with her gun..

When we first moved here & sailed our boat from New York to Fla, DH purchased a shotgun for our protection.. It took us almost two months to get to Fla.. The gun was never loaded, but DH felt safer having it with us.. As soon as we settled in our home, I sold that gun, because I did not want it in the house when the kids came to visit..

HAL is pretty strick about weapons being brought onboard. On one cruise we had a Ulu knife in our luggage that we had just bought on another HAL ship the day before and they did not want to let us bring that aboard, even though it was still in the original HAL wrapping and we had the HAL receipt!

We thought it was funny that we were able to buy it on one ship and take it back to the cabin, but the next ship (sort of a back to back routing) would not let us bring it aboard!

So, I doubt that HAL would let guns, knifes or any other weapons aboard.

We purchased a Ulu knife & chopping bowl in Alaska for a gift before we took our HAL cruise.. When we boarded our ship, security confiscated it but gave it back to us the night before we disembarked..

Edited by serendipity1499