hand guns on board?

SonnekeH

Absolutely NOT!

Packing Advice: We also suggest that you consider placing articles in clear plastic bags inside your baggage to minimize handling by airport security screeners. Pack shoes on top of other contents in your baggage to expedite the screening process. Finally, make sure that you label the inside of your carry-on and checked baggage with your name and contact information. Bear in mind that the screening process for any point of embarkation is similar to that at an airport. As such, all weapons and dangerous devices are prohibited and may result in denied boarding. For complete, updated information regarding travel, please check the official website of the Transportation Security Administration at tsa.gov. Please Note: Firearms, explosives, fireworks, other weapons and knives or sharp blades over four inches long and illegal drugs of any kind are prohibited without exception.

Edited by catl331

Guns are on the banned list for probably every cruise line and since very few ships are flagged in the US, I would think that the permit does not make much difference. Too bad Copper is on-board Amsterdam - he could give us the official answer.

With so many Americans owning and carrying hand guns, are passengers holding valid gun permits allowed to bring hand guns on board?:(

I see you are a fellow Canadian, so obviously your question is out of curiosity rather than asking if you can bring one.:D Thankfully, the answer is no. I cannot imagine anyone - including members of the NRA - needing to bring a gun onboard a cruise ship. So we, who live in a relatively gun-less society, can feel safe in travelling with those who do not.

Edited by Lizzie68

I see you are a fellow Canadian, so obviously your question is out of curiosity rather than asking if you can bring one.:D Thankfully, the answer is no. I cannot imagine anyone - including members of the NRA - needing to bring a gun onboard a cruise ship. So we, who live in a relatively gun-less society, can feel safe in travelling with those who do not.

Thank you Lizzie, for giving a thoughtful answer to my very serious question. I can't imagine being so sure about members of the NRA though:(

But I definitely will feel safer on my Cruise knowing there are no guns on board. Hopefully. Legally.

Thank you Lizzie, for giving a thoughtful answer to my very serious question. I can't imagine being so sure about members of the NRA though:(

But I definitely will feel safer on my Cruise knowing there are no guns on board. Hopefully. Legally.

You're welcome. Don't let the snippiness get to you. Some just like to nit-pick.;)

Statistics indicate that 1 in 3 Americans are gun owners or live with someone who is. Florida, where many cruise lines sail from is the state that has the most people with valid concealed weapons permits at 1.3 million and rising -- none of whom will ever be allowed to take their weapon on a cruise ship. :) So have no worries.

Contrary to what you see on TV the U.S. is not the old west and the vast majority of legal gun owners are safe, law abiding citizens. Should you drive through Florida you will unknowingly come across many who are concealed carrying. :cool:

Yes I am dead serious and definitely looking for a serious response!

With the gun situation in the States today why would anyone be surprised at my question? Would it be better to keep this hushed, not to be discussed?

And NO......I would never consider trying to bring a gun on board. I don't own one, and never will.

First off, weapons permits and "carry" permits are local or state only, and don't have any authority outside the jurisdiction granting them, unless jurisdictions have reciprocity agreements. Taking a weapon on a non-US flag cruise ship would be exporting a weapon, which requires a federal permit, and then re-importing it. Secondly, since the ship is registered in the Bahamas or Panama typically, gun laws in those countries prevail onboard ships flagged in those countries, and I know of no reciprocity agreements between these countries and US state or local jurisdictions, though they may have them with the US government agencies.

As to whether there are "no guns onboard", that may or may not be true, whether any passenger has a weapon or not. Each cruise line can set their own security measures, within the ISPS code and the flag state laws, and may or may not have firearms onboard. As part of the ISPS code, details of whether the ship's security or senior officers have arms or not is classified, and would never be revealed to the public.

So, your original statement of "passengers holding valid gun permits" isn't true, since I doubt that any passengers have gun permits in Panama or the Bahamas. And since this is a HAL forum, the Netherlands has even stricter gun laws than those other two countries.

Edited by chengkp75

First off, weapons permits and "carry" permits are local or state only, and don't have any authority outside the jurisdiction granting them, unless jurisdictions have reciprocity agreements. Taking a weapon on a non-US flag cruise ship would be exporting a weapon, which requires a federal permit, and then re-importing it. Secondly, since the ship is registered in the Bahamas or Panama typically, gun laws in those countries prevail onboard ships flagged in those countries, and I know of no reciprocity agreements between these countries and US state or local jurisdictions, though they may have them with the US government agencies.

As to whether there are "no guns onboard", that may or may not be true, whether any passenger has a weapon or not. Each cruise line can set their own security measures, within the ISPS code and the flag state laws, and may or may not have firearms onboard. As part of the ISPS code, details of whether the ship's security or senior officers have arms or not is classified, and would never be revealed to the public.

So, your original statement of "passengers holding valid gun permits" isn't true, since I doubt that any passengers have gun permits in Panama or the Bahamas. And since this is a HAL forum, the Netherlands has even stricter gun laws than those other two countries.

Thank you Cheng for your - as always - informational post.

HAL is pretty strick about weapons being brought onboard. On one cruise we had a Ulu knife in our luggage that we had just bought on another HAL ship the day before and they did not want to let us bring that aboard, even though it was still in the original HAL wrapping and we had the HAL receipt!

We thought it was funny that we were able to buy it on one ship and take it back to the cabin, but the next ship (sort of a back to back routing) would not let us bring it aboard!

So, I doubt that HAL would let guns, knifes or any other weapons aboard.

Am I the only one who looked to see where the OP lives?:confused:

No, I did. And was quite surprised.

Then, I thought, maybe this is a Canadian take on America: are guns there enough of an everyday object for people to naturally want to keep one on hand at all times?

You read the new, you start to wonder.

Edited by SilvertoGold

All cruise lines run everyone through a metal detector and take away anything they consider a weapon. I usually carry one of the tiny Leatherman multi-tools that has a small pair of scissors on it and a tiny blade. They took that away and gave it back when we departed the ship. As someone else said, when we went into the dining room, I ordered a steak and was given a very large, sharp steak knife! Such is how confused the world is today.

Dive knives are confiscated for retrieval as you exit the ship for your dive. I don't know if it's possible that the ship will hold a hand gun for you. m--

If you showed up with a handgun, yes, they would hold it until your cruise finishes. Same thing with a large knife. I am assuming you had the right as a permit holder or a member of law enforcement to be carrying it.

Well! I for one feel SO much safer knowing the ships allow no firearms!! Never have I seen any 'security' officer with a weapon. These 'no guns allowed' zones work so well at the movie theatre's and worklaces too.

You mean like......Aurora, Colorado?

Fort Hood, Texas?

San Bernardino?

Edited by tim22361

Interesting post!!!!! I am a Canadian travelling on a 7 day Caribbean cruise Mid-February. I have an American friend living in Florida, and I asked this very question this week. He thought that I was joking...NOT ! Canadians are naturally , concerned about this well televised issue, south of our borders.

As a Canadian- the same as the OP based on the location they gave- my first thought was the same as Cruz Chic 'Are you serious?'. Then I gave it more thought and while I may assume that to be the case based on past experiences with airlines would I stake my life on that assumption? No, so I say valid question.

I hadn't given it previous thought, I read some reasoned responses based on fact-Catl331, Cheengkp75(ok he didn't provide a link but I am sure he can if pressed). Now I know.

US guns laws are theirs and Canadian gun laws are ours.Rules and regulations exist that don't allow for it. Now we know how it affects a HAL cruise. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just to add some balance there are rules for Canadians to acquire and transport firearms as well....so the same question could apply for a Canadian driving to Montreal or Quebec City or Vancouver and boarding a HAL ship.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/owner-proprietaire-eng.htm

the answer is the same. No.

Edited by sammygoose
add

If you showed up with a handgun, yes, they would hold it until your cruise finishes. Same thing with a large knife. I am assuming you had the right as a permit holder or a member of law enforcement to be carrying it.

Weapons, including guns, are illegal under Florida laws, at all seaports in Florida. You cannot even leave one in your car. It's highly likely you would be arrested.

Weapons, including guns, are illegal under Florida laws, at all seaports in Florida. You cannot even leave one in your car. It's highly likely you would be arrested.

You are correct, I just checked the Florida law. Here is an unofficial summary:

 In Seaports[9] – The seaport must provide clear notice of the prohibition against possession of concealed weapons and other contraband material on the premises of the seaport. Any person in a restricted area who has in his or her possession a concealed weapon, or who operates or has possession or control of a vehicle in or upon which a concealed weapon is placed or stored, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

So, that answers the OP's question.