Laundry Package

TheCalicoCat

Ok, this may sound bordering on being a cheapskate, but if I purchase the unlimited laundry, can we share the bag with another cabin and split the costs of the package off-line? Sorting the laundry after they are done won't be an issue.

Can you? Yes. Should you? No.

We're going on back-to-back 7-day Alaskan cruises next month on the Noordam and was wondering if it is possible to get the unlimited laundry on the second week only? Or will they charge for the full 14 days? I think since my official booking is technically listed as a 14-day cruise, I'll be charged for the entire length regardless of when I start the service. Anyone have experience or insight for this situation?

We're going on back-to-back 7-day Alaskan cruises next month on the Noordam and was wondering if it is possible to get the unlimited laundry on the second week only? Or will they charge for the full 14 days? I think since my official booking is technically listed as a 14-day cruise, I'll be charged for the entire length regardless of when I start the service. Anyone have experience or insight for this situation?

If you have two booking numbers, one for each week, then it's possible. If only one booking number then I'd say no.

Last November I was able to do the unlimited laundry during the second week only of a Caribbean back-to-back on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I did it while on board using the laundry forms in the cabin. I discussed it with our cabin steward beforehand and he had no problems with it; there were no billing issues and we only paid the $49. It might be different if you want to prepay.

For Vicd1969 the people who want to buy one laundry package and use it for 2 cabins....what about the sizes of the people in the two cabins. If there is a difference in sizes (let's say adults in one cabin, kids in the other) don't you think that will be noticed? Or if it's all women, but there are 4 different sizes of underwear, don't you think it'll be noticed?

Your best bet, is to pay $20.00 by the bag as needed for the people in each cabin.

My DW and I are on the Prinsendamfor 14 days. Can I purchase the unlimited laundry package on line?

Can I purchase it by calling HAL? Can I purchase it once we are on board?

Thanks.

You can call and pre-order but don't need to (unless your cruise is entirely in Europe) as it'll be the same price once you board.

My DW and I are on the Prinsendamfor 14 days. Can I purchase the unlimited laundry package on line?

Thanks.

I don't believe you can purchase unlimited laundry on line. I know you can call Seattle to purchase it in advance, or you can wait and purchase it on board.

We just finished a 12 night cruise in Europe using unlimited laundry. We paid in advance. Only once were pieces back the same day. We had to request a laundry back each day ... It was not 'refreshed' automatically by our steward nor did one come back with the laundry. We lost 3 buttons on 3 shirts and a fourth shirt's button was broken. Two shirts were returned with unremovable stains. The placement of Velcro laundry tags created small tears in the hems of 4 knit shirts. We've used unlimited laundry on smaller cruise ships (Windstar) with no incidents. We've washed our own clothes in the self serve machines of larger lines with no incidents.

Perhaps the volume of what HAL processes causes extra issues. But based on our experiences, we won't do laundry this way on HAL again.

Edited by MayasWay

Apologies for posting twice but the edit function is not working for us today ... Disregard previous in favor of this one. Thanks.

We just finished a 12 night cruise in Europe using unlimited laundry. We paid in advance. It appeared to cost the same on board. Only once were clothing pieces back the same day. (We did not anticipate this fast of a turnaround, but others on the board suggested such a turnaround was common ... It was not. We do not have any standing with HAL, we were first time HAL cruises in a balcony room, maybe those with standing get theirs done first.) The last day we were permitted to send laundry on our 12 day cruise was end of day 9. I mention these items so that the realities of unlimited laundry are understood.

We had to request a laundry bag each day ... It was not 'refreshed' automatically by our steward nor did one come back with the clean laundry. We lost 3 buttons on 3 sifferent shirts and a fourth shirt's button was broken. Two shirts were returned with unremovable stains in places that were clearly visible. The placement of Velcro laundry tags created small tears in the hems of 4 knit shirts.

We've used unlimited laundry on smaller cruise ships (Windstar) with no incidents. We've washed our own clothes in the self serve machines of larger lines with no incidents.

Perhaps the volume of what HAL processes causes extra issues. But based on our experiences, if we cruise on HAL again, we won't do laundry this way.

Apologies for posting twice but the edit function is not working for us today ... Disregard previous in favor of this one. Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your problems. In our over 200 nights on HAL I've only had a laundry problem once (and we always book unlimited laundry) - a shirt and pair of trousers were washed with something which turned them pink (probably a lipstick, I'd imagine). I was called to the front desk, advised what had happened, answered some questions about the original cost and length of ownership and immediately got a credit for the agreed amount in my account. Better track record than many land-side cleaners I've used.

As to turnaround, not sure where you got the impression it was "same day service"; it could be, of course, but rarely is, no matter your cabin or status.

Thanks.

I'm sad to see a fellow Boilermaker ask questions that have already been answered a dozen times on this short thread and then not acknowledge the kind souls that took the time to once again provide the info.

I'm sad to see a fellow Boilermaker ask questions that have already been answered a dozen times on this short thread and then not acknowledge the kind souls that took the time to once again provide the info.

How kind of you to notice!

Welcome to CC (I see you just joined). Pull up a deck chair and have fun.

I had no idea you could purchase a prepaid laundry service. Where do you purchase it, at Guest Relations?

You can call Ships' Services and pre-order, but you don't need to. If you wanted the unlimited service, just tick that box on the laundry form the first time you send clothes out to be cleaned.

You can call Ships' Services and pre-order, but you don't need to. If you wanted the unlimited service, just tick that box on the laundry form the first time you send clothes out to be cleaned.

Thank you for the information.

Is that included in unlimited laundry package, or additional cost?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good question.

Dry cleaning is at additional cost. I mark anything for dry cleaning on the same sheet as my laundry. I identify each piece by the item (ie. Blue plaid by shirt) so they know which it is and I can confirm it all when it comes back;). Just takes a minute.

Interestingly, the cost for one bag of laundry varies between the ships. We just got off the Prinsendam, where it was $20 per bag. Last fall we were on the Zuiderdam, where I believe it was $30 per bag. Not sure why the difference. But it is a good deal at either price.

But even better yet, we just made it to 4 Star, so it's free from now on! :D

Greg

Interestingly, the cost for one bag of laundry varies between the ships. We just got off the Prinsendam, where it was $20 per bag. Last fall we were on the Zuiderdam, where I believe it was $30 per bag. Not sure why the difference. But it is a good deal at either price.

No difference between ships, but there are differences based on itinerary (cheaper in Alaska and Caribbean, for example).

Just off 18 day Viking Passage on Rotterdam. I had my TA purchase the unlimited laundry months ago at $7 US per day for the cabin (not per person!), I paid a total of $126. Seems a bit hard for TA to process but mine finally just gifted it to me (after I paid her:p) but that did work well. I carried a copy of the agreement and payment with me but it was not needed. Day 1 I sent just about everything since we had been 2 weeks in Europe. Daily going to breakfast left a bag on sofa and it was back in the room between 4 and 5 PM most days after supper on others. Well done! Not pressed but better than just crumpled up out of dryer. Removed several food stains. Even sent my polyester chiffon pants and blouse set (my version of gala wear) and ruffled skirt and they were great. I handwashed my bras and support stockings only.

This is the single best perk on the ship. By price on laundry sheet I recovered my unlimited price in less than 3 days (land tour clothing cleaned to become cruise clothing). I sent about 20 bags of laundry for the two in cabin. Bag holds a little more than 2 sets of clothing but not much more. I also sent my husbands dress shirts and washable dress pants and they were fine. I usually sent these to laundry at the cost of 4.50 shirt and 5.50 pants on other cruise lines.

We were across from laundry on Main deck (cabin 2616) so could judge that it was ALWAYS a popular spot. Usually not a problem for us but there were several times on sea days that there were "conversations" and "lines" several deep waiting for machines. Change for machines always a problem. Hot in the room. I LOVED STUFFING THAT BAG AND AS I FINISH THE LAUNDRY HAVE THE FOND MEMORIES OF THE GOOD LIFE.;)

Y

PS to the above laundry review. In 18 days, I never saw a laundry special or bag price. Could be that since I had unlimited laundry I did not get a notice but nothing at all in the daily sheets or in the "junk mail" delivery with spa, art etc.

PS to the above laundry review. In 18 days, I never saw a laundry special or bag price. Could be that since I had unlimited laundry I did not get a notice but nothing at all in the daily sheets or in the "junk mail" delivery with spa, art etc.

There are no laundry specials on HAL (you may be thinking of Princess) and the bag price is always available (it's on the laundry list, I believe).