Alaskan Fashion

Jane2357

We are cruising 7 nights Vancouver to Seward and then have a 6 night post cruise ship tour. Living the last 7 years in Florida -- I'm shopping the sales right now to get the needed warmer clothes that we will need.

All our formal and cocktail wear (Celebrity, but we intend to still dress up) will go in 1 large rolling garment bag that will during the tour, remain under the bus till the end of the trip. Nothing will be different for us there.

For everyday items I'm packing what I'd call "athletic" type clothes. Leggings, tights, yoga pants, (jeans although I don't find them flattering or comfortable) with tops, vest, sweaters, jackets (one water proof) in layers, layers, layers. I'm going with mostly black, gray, white - to be able to mix, match and wear more than once before laundry.

I'm taking black leather boots, water proof walking shoes and for running down for coffee from the Cafe El Braco or stepping out on the balcony in the cold - my Ugg slippers that look like moccasins. Did anyone take actual Ugg boots to wear out walking around?

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? I am a NOTORIOUS OVER PACKER as in we were just on a short 3 night cruise and I took 8 pr of shoes. :o I am REALLY, really going to try to overcome this time.

I actually had someone from the Alaskan desk at Celebrity to just wear sweatshirts :eek: NO! I'd like to look nice while being warm and dry. Can anyone who has been to Alaska give me advice? Thank you.

If you want "athletic" and "fashion" in the same pieces, I'll suggest you look at Athleta. Yes, some will balk at the price (more expensive than Walmart and Target), but quality pieces that will last; I have some pieces still in rotation that I bought back in 2007!!! Even some really good looking "sweatshirts" - not all sweatshirts are made alike ;)

Do not only pack for cold weather - it's been known to be shorts and Tshirt weather in AK at that time of year! Also, pack for layering, not wearing a single big warm piece. It may start out cold, but over the day become very warm. You will be more comfortable if you can add/lose pieces as the weather changes rather than suffer with being either too hot or too cold.

As for Uggs: I live in a mountain resort town. Only the tourists wear Uggs outdoors anymore. When it's cold, the locals wear the stylish selections from Sorel :D

Another vote for Athleta. My go to clothes for about everything. If you don't like jeans, don't bring them. Layers are key, on in the morning, off at noon, back on in afternoon. I travel with CuddleDuds & use them for pjs & under layers if it's really cold. I'd bring SmartWool socks & either Merrils, Keens. You'll never wear Sorels again in FL (my opinion). Have fun

On our Alaska cruise (on HAL), which was in July, I never even wore a jacket, just a shell, but I am living in the Pacific Northwest and am used to colder weather. I don't wear what I would consider regular Uggs outside here, as the rain would ruin them.

The only shoes I wore outside were my regular running shoes. Brought boots, but never wore them that I remember. My DD mostly wore her Vans. There were lots of jeans and sweatshirts and North Face jackets.

Will tell you, absolutely no one will notice your clothing, and I found Alaska to be the least formal of any cruise I've been on.

I will add I have found a lot of Athleta clothing to be cut for the athelete (smaller!). For some reason, there's been a lot of it at our local Marshalls lately. Strange how stuff ends up there.

Your packing list sounds right "on point", as my DD would say. Layers are the way to go.

Yes, definitely layers. We went to Alaska the first week of June also. I was surprised that Juneau was rather warm. We had light weight raincoats that we could keep in our backpack when not needed.

Our coldest day was at Hubbard Glacier. It was misty, damp and cold. Coffee and Hot Chocolate were the drinks of the day.

Alaska is beautiful and you will definitely enjoy your cruise.

Athleta is what I have for my "athletic" type clothing - love the quality of it. And to be sure - I'm not hoping for anyone to notice my clothing - except for me :D well and DH of course. Every cruise is a romantic getaway and I always want to look appropriate but still stylish.

I don't wear sweatshirts - no matter how cute they might be - they stop at the waist and being short flounce over at the band -- unless you are very thin - I don't think this looks good on many people. There are so many longer, looser types of layers available that I feel are much more flattering on those of us over a certain age.

I'll give you all an update when I return - I wish I could figure out how to post photos here but I'm on an Mac and even though my photos are uploaded to Flickr -- I can't seem to post them here. :o Not very tech savy.

I am taking a waterproof jacket with zip out liner. I don't like sweaters and will probably layer long sleeve shirts over T's. Couple of shorts and jeans. Sneakers and hiking boots. Easy silky black slacks with 2 nice tops for formal night. Done.

Jane:

One word: WinterSilks (is that two words?).

If you think jeans are neither flattering nor comfortable, why would you bring them?

Silk by your skin, hi-tech poly for the middle, polartech /polarfleece for the outer layer. Wool for your head/hands/feet. THIS IS MY MANTRA.

ETA: and a truly waterproof/breathable over layer!

Headed for Alaska over the solstice, 2016.

Edited by crystalspin

here is what I wore. (Sorry for the silly poses. Our last trip I looked like I was posing for a school photo so I now make a million silly poses for all my photos)

My mum and I were on 14 day tour San Francisco to Vegas before our Alaska journey so packing was a struggle. Swimwear and sweaters.

I get cold easily, being from Australia (40c/ 104f tomorrow) might have something to do with that. Then again my mum doesn't but she puts in down to "the change of life" her words not mine.

In below pic I had a thermal tank, a tshirt, a long sleeve top (or long sleeve then t shirt) outdoor store jumper (that's a pullover to Americans) and then a rain coat with no lining. Fleece beanie. no scarf but hair was down and collar up. normal socks, wool socks. Tights with jeans over the top. I got a little hot hence the jacket being open and the fact that we briskly walked to the glacier. This was in Juneau

IMG_2913_zpsqjj6nawk.jpg

I think this was second day at sea from Seattle. Only difference being thinner beanie, likely only thermal tank and long sleve top under the grey hoodie. Possibly no tights

IMG_2791_zpsakj65uyf.jpg

This was taken in Glacier Bay. All the layers from the first pic except for the purple rain coat. Instead replaced with a jacket bought in Skagway I think. I had always intended on buying a jacket on the cruise. It was beautifully fleece lined. added a scarf which I wrapped around my head as I was freezing cold and some fake leather gloves.

My mum was basically in slacks, a thermal tank, long sleve top and a rain coat like mine. No hat scarf or gloves for most of the trip and was fine .

We wore sneakers the whole trip with no issues.

IMG_3146_zpst8qqpllb.jpg

We went at the exact same time this past year that the OP is talking about. Normally, there should have been much cooler temps in the lower SE part of AK, but instead, we encountered 89 degrees in Juneau and 84 in Ketchikan. So do please have a plan for warmer weather. This is not to say that we didn't encounter cooler weather - it was cooler in Skagway, and on the inland trip. Of course, it was cold on the glacier days. We've gone at the end of May before and it was cool to cold most of the time. It can vary greatly. Personally, I wouldn't take black leather boots, especially if they're the tall boots where you're planning on tucking your pants in them. You won't wear them nearly as much as you'd think. I would take another pair of walking shoes that you can spray with waterproof spray.