Istanbul

Hows the Serenity

How terrible for all involved. I wonder how many of us on these boards have stood on the very spot where the attack took place? I know we've been there 3 times. Prayers for the innocent victims and their families.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

There are two HAL cruises scheduled to visit Istanbul before you, and I suggest you join or read their roll calls to see what happens on them:

Prinsendam departing FLL on 11 Mar

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152107

Koningsdam departing Civitivecchia 15 Apr

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2133329

Edited by catl331

How terrible for all involved. I wonder how many of us on these boards have stood on the very spot where the attack took place? I know we've been there 3 times. Prayers for the innocent victims and their families.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Count us in as we've also walked that very same area at least three times in the past four years. Our last visit was just this past June. Other than the ever present hawkers trying to sell us something we've never felt threatened and in fact have stayed at the Four Seasons Sultanhamet which can't be more than a couple or so blocks away. Sad. After cruising some 60 days and probably close to 14 days on land in the Med from Barcelona to Istanbul we're taking a more laid back Caribbean cruise this year. We weren't driven away from Europe because of recent events but I can't say there's not a bit of relief we've done so much over there in past four years and are not going back this year.

Edited by Randyk47

I feel so grateful we did so much travel when we did. I am not a big risk taker particularly that I am now without my DH. It is awful the most recent attack. All cruise lines, including HAL, likely will evaluate the risk/safety factor as the time to decide about certain ports gets closer.

We particularly booked a Med cruise for next August because it overnighted in Istanbul. We have friends there that we met on a Panama Canal cruise in 2011 and then visited them in 2012 on our way to Africa. If we can't visit with them, we might switch to a cheaper cruise on the Osterdam, rather than the more expensive Eurodam.

… I wonder how many of us on these boards have stood on the very spot where the attack took place? I know we've been there 3 times. Prayers for the innocent victims and their families.

When I left Istanbul after my NA cruise in summer 2010, there was another terrorist act who blow up the same place where I took a cup of coffee two week before. :eek:

So sad bc Istanbul is really a nice city to visit (Bazaar, inside water cistern [Medusa], etc.)

Holacanada from Quebec city

Edited by holacanada