It might be easier to find a unicorn in FLL

beachbum53

Did you look at Valuetrips for the Hyatt Place? they list it at $99.00/night for that time period. That is a far better property in a far better location than any of the others.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

As K&RCurt noted:

Valid Dates Day of Week Reg. Rate* Value Rate

May 1, 2016 -

May 30, 2016 All $199.00 $99

You can't beat this price if it is available for the day you need. As I understand the process you need to make an online reservation and then Value Trips gets back to you within a week or so to confirm it.

Edited by capriccio

Did you look at Valuetrips for the Hyatt Place? they list it at $99.00/night for that time period. That is a far better property in a far better location than any of the others.

http://www.valuetrips.com/AMS/FL/F17.htm

I'll include that information when I talk with everyone. Not only is the cost of the hotel important, but so are transportation costs, such as a taxi, shuttle or whatever. Also, what's nearby that we can walk to for dinner. Preferably something better than a McDonald's or Taco bell. And shopping, if anyone wants to buy sodas to take on board, or if anyone forgot to pack something, like personal care items. My wife and I have been to Miami enough times that these questions wouldn't be an issue. This will be our first time to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. Collecting all of this information is somewhat time consuming, but it is helpful to know what to expect.

I'll include that information when I talk with everyone. Not only is the cost of the hotel important, but so are transportation costs, such as a taxi, shuttle or whatever. Also, what's nearby that we can walk to for dinner. Preferably something better than a McDonald's or Taco bell. And shopping, if anyone wants to buy sodas to take on board, or if anyone forgot to pack something, like personal care items. My wife and I have been to Miami enough times that these questions wouldn't be an issue. This will be our first time to cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. Collecting all of this information is somewhat time consuming, but it is helpful to know what to expect.

The 17th Street area (Holiday Inn Express, Hyatt Place, Embassy Suites, etc.) has a plethora of shops and restaurants within walking distance. The street is basically one long (almost 1 mile) strip mall full of stores and restaurants interspersed with hotels. Hyatt Place (and Embassy Suites) are within 1 block of the Harbor Shops shopping center with a large Publix supermarket (with beach items and personal care items), Total Wine, and TJ Maxx in addition to a number of smaller stores and probably a half dozen restaurants.

For more info on Fort Lauderdale check out http://www.sunny.org. It lists hotels, restaurants, transportation and attractions.

Many locals and frequent cruisers here will caution you not to get hung up on shuttles. The airport, 17th Street and Port Everglades are within spitting distance of one another (take a look at google maps) and cabs are inexpensive and Uber even cheaper. When considering hotels that offer shuttles make sure you determine if it is free or involves a per person charge. In the case of a per person charge, a taxi for 2 or more people (and there are van taxis at the same price as a sedan) is often cheaper.

Edited by capriccio

Based on the hotels suggested, here's what I've found (this will be for one night, May 21st, for a room for two):

Hyatt 17th St. - $184.00

Comfort Suites 191 South West 19th Court - Dania Beach - $110.00

Comfort Suites 17th & Federal Hwy. - $119.00

Holiday Inn Express 17th St. - $219.00

and, I came across this as well:

Clarion 1055 N. Federal Hwy. - $120.00

Obviously, the Comfort Suites on South West 19th Court is the lowest. BlueHerons, since you're familiar with the area, and you suggested looking at the Comfort Suites on 17th & Federal Hwy., and it's only $9.00 more, would it be a better location as far as finding restaurants and stores within a short walking distance, or would the one at Dania Beach be just as good a choice, given that it's fairly new?

Scratch the Dania Beach Comfort Suites off your list and the Clarion also.

The 17th Street location is packed full of tons of local and chain restaurants that are excellent. There is also one of the best South Florida Publix there and a Total Wine. There is all kinds of good shopping on 17th Street.

Capriccio gave you an excellent run down on 17th Street. The location cannot be beat for what you want. You'll be very happy staying there.

I would book the Hyatt Place through Value Trips.

Thank-you everyone, especially BlueHerons and capriccio for sharing your knowledge and valuable information. You've been a great help. Now I just need to get everyone together so I can share this information with them and we can get our hotel reservations taken care of. :)

Yeah. It is very hard to find something good in FLL for that price.

I just completed an extensive search as I am bringing a group in next Feb. (2017)

Even with a significantly reduced group rate' date=' the price is still high.

Look at the reviews closely.

Some of the 100.00 a night hotels are dumps.[/quote']

Any of those hotels offer free parking and/or shuddles?

It looks like the OP has made a decision, but for other interested people, I found last year that the Rodeway Inn & Suites meet a lot of the criteria if you book in advance.

Free shuttle to/from airport

Free shuttle to/from port (you leave at their convenience in the morning, or pay a small surcharge to pick what time you go)

A pub grub/bar food place on site

A small gift shop that has wine, soft drinks and last minute holiday items (including, miraculously, a small sewing kit that I needed unexpectedly)

The place was clean, staff were quite pleasant (though very busy). There's a shopping centre 1.3 miles away (but iirc it didn't look like a nice walk) which has a WinnDixie supermarket (no idea what it's like), an off license (for buying alcohol) and a Dollar Tree. It has a pool, which I didn't try. Basic breakfast is available.

It looks like the OP has made a decision, but for other interested people, I found last year that the Rodeway Inn & Suites meet a lot of the criteria if you book in advance.

Free shuttle to/from airport

Free shuttle to/from port (you leave at their convenience in the morning, or pay a small surcharge to pick what time you go)

A pub grub/bar food place on site

A small gift shop that has wine, soft drinks and last minute holiday items (including, miraculously, a small sewing kit that I needed unexpectedly)

The place was clean, staff were quite pleasant (though very busy). There's a shopping centre 1.3 miles away (but iirc it didn't look like a nice walk) which has a WinnDixie supermarket (no idea what it's like), an off license (for buying alcohol) and a Dollar Tree. It has a pool, which I didn't try. Basic breakfast is available.

I had looked at Rodeway Inn, but after reading the reviews on both Trip Advisor and trivago, I opted to pass.

I had looked at Rodeway Inn, but after reading the reviews on both Trip Advisor and trivago, I opted to pass.

I thought the same, but it was fine last year and have booked it again for this year. My primary criteria after an international flight is that it have a bed and that everything is clean. Next is that the staff make an attempt at being pleasant. They succeeded :) Don't think I'd opt to go there for a week, but for a night it worked for me!

By comparison, the Hilton Marina, which you'd think would be guaranteed good, failed on everything for me, except having a bed. Everyone else seems to rave about it.

I thought the same, but it was fine last year and have booked it again for this year. My primary criteria after an international flight is that it have a bed and that everything is clean. Next is that the staff make an attempt at being pleasant. They succeeded :) Don't think I'd opt to go there for a week, but for a night it worked for me!

By comparison, the Hilton Marina, which you'd think would be guaranteed good, failed on everything for me, except having a bed. Everyone else seems to rave about it.

Just a heads up, you'd be much better off in the worst room at the Hilton Marina than the best room at the Rodeway. The Rodeway is in a horrible, high crime part of town.

You aren't going to get robbed at gunpoint in the Hilton parking lot.

Just a heads up, you'd be much better off in the worst room at the Hilton Marina than the best room at the Rodeway. The Rodeway is in a horrible, high crime part of town.

You aren't going to get robbed at gunpoint in the Hilton parking lot.

Already booked, so I'll risk it. Point taken about wandering away from the hotel though - I'll avoid that. I thought it didn't look like a nice place to go walking due to the busy road, but will keep muggings in mind as well! Thanks!

Didn't see any trouble last year, but there was a big event going on in a nearby hotel so there were a lot of people wandering around all evening.

When are you traveling? Prices vary wildly depending upon the season. High season is Christmas thru April and low season is during the summer.

Our cruise is the last week of May. I'm finding that to get what I want, I can expect to pay $150.00 or more per night. Yikes! Not exactly "budget friendly". :eek:

I am booked at LQ on 26th. Has airport shuttle, free breakfast and shuttle available to port for $8 p/p. Also says shuttle can take you to food or shops, No prob. I don't know your exact dates but using discount code LEASE10 brought the rate down for the day I checked (5/27) to $119.20 (king) or $127.20 (double). Looks like beach is maybe 6 blocks away. The property says it sits by/in front of a lake. I myself don't have a problem staying at a modest location such as this. It is rated 16/66 hotels in Hollywood, FL. (Tripadvisorhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34296-d87327-Reviews-La_Quinta_Inn_Suites_Ft_Lauderdale_Airport-Hollywood_Florida.html ). Also offers up to 2 wks free parking!

When are you traveling? Prices vary wildly depending upon the season. High season is Christmas thru April and low season is during the summer.

Our cruise is the last week of May. I'm finding that to get what I want, I can expect to pay $150.00 or more per night. Yikes! Not exactly "budget friendly". :eek:

We are also cruising the last week of May. I'm struggling to find anything for less than $150 a night as well- most are $200 and up. There are a lot of bad reviews on many of these hotels listed. I feel like I am spending so much time researching and am not making any progress!

We are also cruising the last week of May. I'm struggling to find anything for less than $150 a night as well- most are $200 and up. There are a lot of bad reviews on many of these hotels listed. I feel like I am spending so much time researching and am not making any progress!

It's Memorial Weekend and Miami Beach is such a cluster with Urban/Hip Hop Beach Weekend, the locals all head up here and the keys along with our normal holiday tourism.

I would suggest booking something beach/downtown/Las Olas/17th Street on Hotwire.

QUOTE: Comfort Suites 17th & Federal Hwy. - $119.00

I just checked for this Comfort Suites on 17th & Federala Hwy. Does NOT come up on the Comfort (Choice Hotels) site. When I did a google search, it says that this hotel is CLOSED. Does anyone know if this hotel has a new name or is it definitely closed? Also looking for a reasonable place. Have booked the Quality Inn on Sterling Rd. but looking for another reasonable alternative.

I wonder if it is the Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruiseport Hotel? Found on travel website...

QUOTE: Comfort Suites 17th & Federal Hwy. - $119.00

I just checked for this Comfort Suites on 17th & Federala Hwy. Does NOT come up on the Comfort (Choice Hotels) site. When I did a google search, it says that this hotel is CLOSED. Does anyone know if this hotel has a new name or is it definitely closed? Also looking for a reasonable place. Have booked the Quality Inn on Sterling Rd. but looking for another reasonable alternative.

I just did some research and it is now the FLL airport Cruiseport Hotel as you said. I called them and they quoted me $199 plus tax for mid-week in March. I could not find their web site.

I wonder if it is the Fort Lauderdale Airport Cruiseport Hotel? Found on travel website...

Like me, you've gone into "research overload". We've decided to go with the suggestions given on here to book with the Hyatt through valuetrips.com. You're not going to find a better deal.

Just checked vauletrips and the "value" rate for weekday in March was $195. Not much of a value!

Like me, you've gone into "research overload". We've decided to go with the suggestions given on here to book with the Hyatt through valuetrips.com. You're not going to find a better deal.

Just checked vauletrips and the "value" rate for weekday in March was $195. Not much of a value!

That's during Spring Break, so you may have a tough time finding a good deal on a nice hotel. We're going in May, and the price I found for the Hyatt is $99.00 a night.

Edited by beachbum53

I just did some research and it is now the FLL airport Cruiseport Hotel as you said. I called them and they quoted me $199 plus tax for mid-week in March. I could not find their web site.

I doubt they are going to have a website, other than what you find on booking engines. They are in between hotel affiliations and will be re-branding as a Four Points by Sheraton later this summer.