Rome visa question

midwestchick

I booked flights tonight on United for our upcoming cruise. On my confirmation there was a notice that all citizens from the U.S., Mexico and Canada need a valid passport and a visa to enter Rome. I've never had to have a visa and this is the first I've heard of this. Is this something new?

I posted on our roll call also to see if anyone else is aware of this.

You do not need a tourist visa to enter Italy for up to 90 days. See: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/italy.html

What the h*ll was up with that message from United? Clearly our flights were far less than 90 days. :confused: :rolleyes:

Thank you....much appreciated.

Edited by midwestchick

Actually you do need a Schengen visa for a stay up to 90 days. But the visa is issued at the airport´s passport control. So you don´t need to apply for a visa in advance / prior to your trip.

The Schengen visa is valid for all countries which are Schengen members.

steamboats

we flew to Rome from Canada last year via Germany. We were not aware of anything happening, just passed through customs at the German airport with a glance at the passport and a friendly smile and then nothing in Rome.

And that is the way it is done! :) No visa is required for tourists staying less than 90 days. When you enter any of the European Union / Schengen countries, you pass through the border controlls. If you wish, they stamp your passport - otherwise most times they don´t... and that´s it.

Actually you do need a Schengen visa for a stay up to 90 days. But the visa is issued at the airport´s passport control. So you don´t need to apply for a visa in advance / prior to your trip.

The Schengen visa is valid for all countries which are Schengen members.

steamboats

Never heard of a Schengen visa and have no ideas which countries are members. We were there for 2 days in 2013 and did not need anything except our passport.

I didn´t say that you do need anything else than your passports ;)!

They stamp your passport at passport control and that´s your visa.

gold1953, as Germany was your first country of entry of the Schengen area your passport did get stamped there with the Schengen visa. No passport controls within the Schengen area.

Most countries in Europe (meaning EU) have signed the Schengen treaty (including Switzerland which is not part of the EU) - exept for Great Britain. You will find more about Schengen area here

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

steamboats

Never heard of a Schengen visa and have no ideas which countries are members. We were there for 2 days in 2013 and did not need anything except our passport.

As they say, live and learn. Schengen is simply an agreement (treaty) between 26 European countries which include most (not all) of the EU nations and was adopted back in 1995! Its major impact was to effectively eliminate border controls between the member nations which meant that travelers could move freely between the countries without a Visa or even a Passport (although it is smart to have a Passport when you travel). However, for longer stays (often defined as more then 90 days) many countries do require a Visa.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

All of you are agreeing. You would not notice anything happening except going through a passport control. The "visa" is automatically electronically attached to your passport at the first place of entry into the Schengen countries. There is not anything for you to notice. you can figure out the 26 countries as they show on a list of visa requirements as nothing required for stay of up to 90 days. It simply allows the countries to see if you overstay your 90 days.

I didn´t say that you do need anything else than your passports ;)!

They stamp your passport at passport control and that´s your visa.

gold1953, as Germany was your first country of entry of the Schengen area your passport did get stamped there with the Schengen visa. No passport controls within the Schengen area.

Most countries in Europe (meaning EU) have signed the Schengen treaty (including Switzerland which is not part of the EU) - exept for Great Britain. You will find more about Schengen area here

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/go/schengen-fact-sheet.html

steamboats

+1 agree.

That is the correct answer. The stamp at port of entry is your Visa.

When you enter any of the European Union / Schengen countries, you pass through the border controlls. If you wish, they stamp your passport - otherwise most times they don´t... and that´s it.

This is misleading and potentially dangerous. As a US citizen (and this applies to many others), when you first enter the Schengen Zone (no matter in which of 26 Schengen countries this occurs) you are required to get a Schengen entry stamp in your passport. If you do not get this entry stamp you are illegally present and subject to arrest or other legal action. This entry stamp allows you to stay and travel anywhere within the Schengen Zone for up to 90 days with no further stamp being needed. When you leave the Schengen Zone you are required to get a Schengen exit stamp; failure to get this stamps will result in you being deemed to have overstayed when 90 days have passed,and can great complicate your future reentry into Schengen. Some border officials (more likely in southern Europe) may be lax in stamping your passport; it is YOUR responsibility to see that this is done. The exit official doing his job will make sure you have an entry stamp and have not overstayed; if you do not have an entry stamp I can virtually guarantee you that if your Schengen departure is from a German airport you will be delayed until they sort it out (not fun to miss your flight home and then eventually have to purchase a full fare ticket:eek:).

Note that you can stay in the EU and still be required to get stamps. As an example if you go from London to Paris this will involve entering Schengen at the French border.

Thom

All of you are agreeing. You would not notice anything happening except going through a passport control. The "visa" is automatically electronically attached to your passport at the first place of entry into the Schengen countries. There is not anything for you to notice. you can figure out the 26 countries as they show on a list of visa requirements as nothing required for stay of up to 90 days. It simply allows the countries to see if you overstay your 90 days.
Can you provide substantiation for the existence of a visa being automatically electronically attached to your passport?

The Oxford English Dictionary gives one (and only one) definition for visa:

An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

Other dictionaries have similar definitions. In this case, I think that the Schengen visa is the entry stamp that goes in your passport. In my US passport these stamps are on pages titled "Visas".

Can you provide substantiation for the existence of a visa being automatically electronically attached to your passport?

The Oxford English Dictionary gives one (and only one) definition for visa:

An endorsement on a passport indicating that the holder is allowed to enter, leave, or stay for a specified period of time in a country.

Other dictionaries have similar definitions. In this case, I think that the Schengen visa is the entry stamp that goes in your passport. In my US passport these stamps are on pages titled "Visas".

The OED needs updating. Some countries (in particular I am thinking of Australia) issue electronic visas and there is no endorsement in your passport. However I am not sure how Shengen operates.

When you enter any of the European Union / Schengen countries, you pass through the border controlls. If you wish, they stamp your passport - otherwise most times they don´t... and that´s it.

This is misleading and potentially dangerous. As a US citizen (and this applies to many others), when you first enter the Schengen Zone (no matter in which of 26 Schengen countries this occurs) you are required to get a Schengen entry stamp in your passport. If you do not get this entry stamp you are illegally present and subject to arrest or other legal action. This entry stamp allows you to stay and travel anywhere within the Schengen Zone for up to 90 days with no further stamp being needed. When you leave the Schengen Zone you are required to get a Schengen exit stamp; failure to get this stamps will result in you being deemed to have overstayed when 90 days have passed,and can great complicate your future reentry into Schengen. Some border officials (more likely in southern Europe) may be lax in stamping your passport; it is YOUR responsibility to see that this is done. The exit official doing his job will make sure you have an entry stamp and have not overstayed; if you do not have an entry stamp I can virtually guarantee you that if your Schengen departure is from a German airport you will be delayed until they sort it out (not fun to miss your flight home and then eventually have to purchase a full fare ticket:eek:).

Note that you can stay in the EU and still be required to get stamps. As an example if you go from London to Paris this will involve entering Schengen at the French border.

Thom

How are you supposed to get your passport stamped if you arrive via a transatlantic as there's no customs or immigration at the port to stamp your passport?

Your passport information is electronically provided to the countries involved when traveling via ship. In our case it was Spain. When you go through passport control when heading home they can see you arrived via a ship, the port and the date!

Same thing going to Canada and vice versa for USA and Canadians - There is no stamp but an electronic entry is made on your passport record. They know every time you enter and leave in both countries, but no stamp any longer.

Do agree that a ship arrival can be an issue as if you for example purchase property you are required to show the stamp to authorities in Italy. as there is no stamp you need to go to an official with your cruise documents to get a declaration showing you arrival that becomes a defacto stamp.

Edited by az_tchr

The OED needs updating. Some countries (in particular I am thinking of Australia) issue electronic visas and there is no endorsement in your passport. However I am not sure how Shengen operates.
It is true that Australia has now done away with issuing most, if not all, of their previous Travel Visas placed in passports, although some people still have valid physical visas. As a US citizen I am now required to get an "Electronic Travel Authority" (note lack of the word Visa on official websites, although unofficial sites often use the word Visa). I have always thought of a "visa" as being an item gotten usually in advanced prior to arrival in a country, but I am now thinking of it in broader terms. In my new thinking (which may or may not be correct) the stamp placed in a passport upon arrival in Australia is the "visa".

How are you supposed to get your passport stamped if you arrive via a transatlantic as there's no customs or immigration at the port to stamp your passport?
Note that you are considered "in transit" until your terminating port, and that is where you officially enter Schengen. I have done a number of Trans-Atlantics officially entering Schengen when terminating in Lisbon, Amsterdam, Barcelona and probably other locations. I have always seen an immigration officer and been able to get my Schengen Entry Stamp, although in some cases I could have bypassed the guy with no trouble.

Your passport information is electronically provided to the countries involved when traveling via ship. In our case it was Spain. When you go through passport control when heading home they can see you arrived via a ship, the port and the date!
The last time I entered Schengen by ship was at Port of Barcelona May 2015. I have my Entry Stamp from there and my Exit Stamp at Madrid Airport. You mean I didn't have to?

I entered Schengen at Port of Amsterdam May 2012 and got a Schengen Entry Stamp even though things were chaotic and many people did not get stamped. We knew people who flew to their US connection out of Frankfurt, and missed their flight home because German Exit immigration took hours sorting things out. Admittedly this was almost 4 years ago; have things changed?

I'd be interested in documentation on this electronic record in Schengen, as it is new to me.

Thom

There is a passport control and customs! On the Oasis TA in 2015 we had a first stop in Malaga without any controls. But at our final destination (Barcelona) there was a passport control and customs. Being German I only got my passport checked. All other non-EU citizens had to join another line for getting their visa. Customs is usually right after you pick up your luggage and leave the building. You might not really recognize it as you can walk through.

I´ve never heard about any "electronic visa". Passport control checks your passport and this includes "sliding" it at their computers. But nothing is saved. Your personal information is checked. You still need to get a stamp in your passport. Local authorities do have a right to check your visa too and they are not connected to any computer system having your entry data. Therefore you definitely need a stamp!

Although with ESTA when I enter the US I still get a stamp in my passport also telling me the date how long I can stay. And despite the fact that the US is saving my data including a photo and fingerprints.

steamboats

There is a passport control and customs! On the Oasis TA in 2015 we had a first stop in Malaga without any controls. But at our final destination (Barcelona) there was a passport control and customs. Being German I only got my passport checked. All other non-EU citizens had to join another line for getting their visa. Customs is usually right after you pick up your luggage and leave the building. You might not really recognize it as you can walk through.

I´ve never heard about any "electronic visa". Passport control checks your passport and this includes "sliding" it at their computers. But nothing is saved. Your personal information is checked. You still need to get a stamp in your passport. Local authorities do have a right to check your visa too and they are not connected to any computer system having your entry data. Therefore you definitely need a stamp!

Although with ESTA when I enter the US I still get a stamp in my passport also telling me the date how long I can stay. And despite the fact that the US is saving my data including a photo and fingerprints.

steamboats

No passport control in Rome (Civitavecchia). I ended a transatlantic there a couple of years ago and there was no passport control. I just got off the ship, grabbed my luggage and left.

steamboats

Yes and no ;)

If you enter the US using one of the automated kiosks now available at most major airports your passport is not stamped any more. All information is stored in the system.

You can even view your personal record on some website...

If you enter using one of the regular manned booths, your passport will be stamped.

Some prefer that in order to have the stamp.

Edited by Miaminice

...If you enter the US using one of the automated kiosks now available at most major airports your passport is not stamped any more...
Are you SURE of that? NOT my experience.

I just checked my US passport; my last three arrivals in the US were at Washington Dulles (IAD) which does have automated kiosks, and I have US entry stamps for each of those arrivals (including last month). (I would prefer to NOT get stamped because my passport usually gets filled before it has expired.)

Thom

No passport control in Rome (Civitavecchia). I ended a transatlantic there a couple of years ago and there was no passport control. I just got off the ship, grabbed my luggage and left.
Back before I knew better:rolleyes: I too have entered Italy without getting a Schengen Entry Stamp. Southern Europe can be pretty lax on control, and may not make you pass any immigration officials on your way out, but I have yet to see a Port of Entry into Schengen that did not have immigration officers somewhere. It is YOUR responsibility to get an Entry Stamp, and no rule abiding German (should you end up there) official will buy an argument that it is not your fault because the Italians didn't make you get one.

Thom

Very sure! Just did it again in December (MIA)!

You go to the kiosk and receive a paper receipt. If you get a receipt without a big X on it you go through a line where the officer just checks the receipt but does not stamp the passport...

BTW: That is a non US passport entering with ESTA

Edited by Miaminice