Princess/HAL: Looking for opinions from those who've done cruise & Land with BOTH

mlbcruiser

I'd love to hear from anyone out there who has done an Alaskan cruise along with a cruise tour with both Princess and HAL. (I'd add Celebrity and RCI - usually our go-to cruise lines - but those lines' prices for the dates we are looking at are higher by a fair amount.) So if you have sailed HAL and Princess, here are a couple of questions:

Which line had the most vibrant or lively atmosphere? I've always heard HAL is very good, but rolls up the carpets pretty early and the demographic is often well past retirement age more so than even Princess. Is that true in AK? (We find Princess a bit more subdued than Celebrity or RCI but have never sailed on HAL at all. By vibrant I don't mean drunken partiers. I mean lively music and younger minded entertainment and activities.) We are no spring chickens ourselves, but still . . . .

Did one line stand out over the other much w/regard to how seamless their and tour was handled, or was there much difference?

Much difference with regard to dining, and if so, in what way?

I

Thanks for any input.

Edited by mlbcruiser

HAL allows smoking on the balconies. For this reason --- I rule them out. In Alaska -- all cruise lines are more subdued compared to the Caribbean. Also more people go to sleep earlier as people are out first thing in the morning and tour all day. Something that doesn't happen in the Caribbean. Alaska is no Caribbean. Caribbean is more relaxed.

Well, I am usually doing something all the time when on Caribbean cruises, too! Hate waking up before 9, though - unless it's to do some boating or snorkeling. For those things, I'll do it. ;) And it's true, to me, I'm doing something even if it's lounging in the sun, looking at the sea or reading a book, or watching the hairy legs contest, lol! On the other hand, I like to stay up very late - even on a regular night at home. Looks like I'll have some adjustments to make on an AK cruise for sure.

At any rate, still no replies from those out there who have cruised HAL AND Princess?

I've cruised to Alaska twice each on HAL (Veendam and Amsterdam) and Princess (Coral and Golden) - but I haven't done their land tours. Both cruise lines do a great job in Alaska. As far as their one-way itineraries, I like that Princess's southbound cruises go to both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay, whereas HAL goes only to Glacier Bay. On the other hand, from what I've seen of the HAL and Princess cruise tours - HAL usually spends more time at Denali and includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour vs. Princess's Natural History Tour.

I think Princess's ships are prettier, but HAL's older ships have great outdoor viewing areas. For me it would come down to itinerary, timing, and price.

We have about 450 days sailing on both lines combined, but never did an Alaska cruise on either. Matter of fact, since we have lived here all our lives we only did one Alaska cruise and that was on Regent, a two weeker, San Francisco up to Valdez then down to Vancouver.

Your question also concerns the Carnival Corporation's extensive Alaska shore operations under HAL and Princess. About two years ago there was quite a shakeup within Carnival wherein Princess, HAL, Seabourn and all the Alaska ground operations were merged into the newly created Holland America Group:

"Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) today announced that effective December 1, 2013, Stein Kruse, currently president and CEO of Holland America Line, is being appointed CEO of the Holland America Group, adding Princess Cruises and Holland America Princess Alaska land operations to his current responsibilities of Holland America Line and Seabourn. Kruse will report to Carnival Corporation & plc President and CEO Arnold Donald. In his expanded role, effective December 1, Kruse also will replace Micky Arison as chairman of the board of MANCO, the UK-based entity which oversees operations of Carnival Australia including P&O Cruises, the number one cruise line in the Australian market.The newly created Holland America Group operates 41 cruise ships with over 36,000 employees worldwide who annually deliver 25 million passenger cruise days."

Analysts believe the reason Carnival Corp took this action was due to the cutthroat competition in Alaska between Princess and HAL and in Australia between those two and P&O. They wanted to get them all more on the same page, profit motive you know.

Anyway, Stein Kruse is still pulling this all together, but distinctions between HAL and Princess are becoming fewer and fewer, particularly within their Cruise-Tour operations in Alaska.

There are significant differences still though, one of which was previously mentioned where HAL is the only line of the majors which still allows balcony smoking. Not only that they allow cigar balcony smoking. Due to that we discontinued cruising on HAL about a year and a half ago.

Edited by kennicott

I have sailed all the major lines in Alaska with the exception of Disney. Demographics are very similar- with all ages sailing, but bulk of ages is middle aged and above. There aren't the numbers of younger people compared to the Caribbean.

One difference with cruise tours=- that some people are not very happy with is Princess rail cars are table seating, so 2 ride backward the entire trip. Princess is terrible with dumping people at the McKinley Lodge and including the worthless Natural History tour.

It is essential- you educate yourself about ALL the details, so you KNOW what you are looking at with itineraries. I can spot the problem areas a mile off, most people don't have a clue. :) Basic- do not consider any tour less than 5 days, and have at least 2 nights at Denali Park. Rest- I would suggest you be sure you want to be where the tour goes. Another place, I'm shaking my head with the "what should I do/what is there to do" questions- when they have already booked the tour?

Some very good info. and just what I was after re: my original question.

NancyIL, I will admit, I have paid more attention to the land itineraries of the cruise tours and less to the actual ship's itineraries, though at first glance most of the ones I was looking at seemed similar overall. I did not pick up on the southbound difference w/Glacier Bay AND Hubbard. I did and do plan to more carefully analyze each ship stop before actually booking, though. I guess for me seeing both Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay sounds great, depending upon whether something else would be given up. (I did read one poster's trip report who said after seeing a few glaciers a boat trip to see more turned out to be monotonous.) Another thing I have to delve into this some more and compare the two glacial areas to see if missing one of them would be a major miss, considering we'd at least see the other.

kennicott. I had heard HAL and Princess ran similar land tours and figured it was because both were early players in AK, and in more recent yrs., both have been under Carnival's umbrella. However, I had no knowledge about the particulars that you provided. The smoking thing IS a reason to avoid HAL, though, and would definitely mean HAL was "out" w/us if we could get a balcony, although we won't be getting one this cruise. It likely also means there are probably a lot more smokers drawn to their ships, though. Just passing near a cigar lounge on a ship is miserable enough for those of us who aren't smokers.

Budget Queen, I'm of the same mind as you re: how many nights we'd get in Denali. Matter of fact all of the ones I'm looking at spend 2 nts. in Denali. As for the Natural History Tour, probably most people who read the CC boards on AK at all can't miss the negative comments that tour gets. I figured we'd skip that one for sure. There are better options. I think sometimes people pick their cruise or tour based on the obvious - which ports, etc. They figure there will surely be so much to choose from that they can't go wrong. Then they ask for opinions to get a variety of takes on this and that to help them form their own plan. As for me, I often drive myself nuts examining so many different parts of the adventure that I can't make a firm decision in a timely manner. Meanwhile, the cost of the cruise goes up! :rolleyes:

Thanks again to all of you!

Edited by mlbcruiser

Some very good info. and just what I was after re: my original question.

NancyIL, I will admit, I have paid more attention to the land itineraries of the cruise tours and less to the actual ship's itineraries, though at first glance most of the ones I was looking at seemed similar overall. I did not pick up on the southbound difference w/Glacier Bay AND Hubbard. I did and do plan to more carefully analyze each ship stop before actually booking, though. I guess for me seeing both Hubbard Glacier AND Glacier Bay sounds great, depending upon whether something else would be given up. (I did read one poster's trip report who said after seeing a few glaciers a boat trip to see more turned out to be monotonous.) Another thing I have to delve into this some more and compare the two glacial areas to see if missing one of them would be a major miss, considering we'd at least see the other.

kennicott. I had heard HAL and Princess ran similar land tours and figured it was because both were early players in AK, and in more recent yrs., both have been under Carnival's umbrella. However, I had no knowledge about the particulars that you provided. The smoking thing IS a reason to avoid HAL, though, and would definitely mean HAL was "out" w/us if we could get a balcony, although we won't be getting one this cruise. It likely also means there are probably a lot more smokers drawn to their ships, though. Just passing near a cigar lounge on a ship is miserable enough for those of us who aren't smokers.

Budget Queen, I'm of the same mind as you re: how many nights we'd get in Denali. Matter of fact all of the ones I'm looking at spend 2 nts. in Denali. As for the Natural History Tour, probably most people who read the CC boards on AK at all can't miss the negative comments that tour gets. I figured we'd skip that one for sure. There are better options. I think sometimes people pick their cruise or tour based on the obvious - which ports, etc. They figure there will surely be so much to choose from that they can't go wrong. Then they ask for opinions to get a variety of takes on this and that to help them form their own plan. As for me, I often drive myself nuts examining so many different parts of the adventure that I can't make a firm decision in a timely manner. Meanwhile, the cost of the cruise goes up! :rolleyes:

Thanks again to all of you!

Nothing is given up on Princess by going to a 2nd glacier. HAL has a day at sea on the day Princess goes to Hubbard Glacier (southbound) or College Fjord (northbound). HAL goes to Haines southbound and to Skagway northbound, whereas Princess goes to Skagway both directions.

As you have noticed - both cruise lines have quite a variety of land tours. Even though Princess offers the Natural History Tour on almost all of their cruise tours, as you and others have mentioned - you can skip that and book your own bus tour if you're there long enough.

I also drove myself nuts planning our first Alaska cruise and independent land trip (2007)! :D The cruise decision was the much easier part, but I obsessed over the land trip details. It's obvious that you've been doing your homework, and I'm sure you'll figure out the best fit for you and your husband - sooner or later!

Edited by NancyIL

Our first Alaska trip was 2012 northbound followed by a DIY 4 night land adventure focused the area between Seward and Matanuska.

DIY no longer appeals so after researching the details like you are we chose a June 2016 southbound Princess Cruise Tour DB4:

One night at McKinley lodge -- an afternoon and morning to do anything our heart desires. We plan on taking the shuttle into Talkeetna for breakfast and a walk around town and by the river --we enjoy small local museums. Just being in a forested area is lovely for us as we live in a desert.

Two nights at Denali -- have cancelled the Natural History tour and are booked on a 8:00 am Eielson shuttle. Easy to do --will pick up a box lunch before taking Princess shuttle to the WAC.

Train to Whittier -- a joy for us as we both had fathers who were train engine drivers.

Edited by Alaskanb

AlaskanB, I definitely think we'll have to have at least 2 days with a rental car on one end of the cruise tour (sounds a bit like your 4 day add on), just so we can drive around a bit on our own without having any tours, activities or anything. For maybe 2 days I think that will work o.k. but wouldn't want to do it the whole time as I don't think it is a good choice for us under my husband's present circumstances.

AlaskanB, I definitely think we'll have to have at least 2 days with a rental car on one end of the cruise tour (sounds a bit like your 4 day add on), just so we can drive around a bit on our own without having any tours, activities or anything. For maybe 2 days I think that will work o.k. but wouldn't want to do it the whole time as I don't think it is a good choice for us under my husband's present circumstances.

Our cruise is southbound so we have two days pre-tour in Anchorage to see the museums and maybe walk on the Tony Knowles trail--will use taxis and shuttles. Find we need an easy day after a long day of flying.

Our first sea days include scenic cruising so they will be easy also.

Edited by Alaskanb

I don't recall a specific HAL cruisetour but these 2 photojournals of RCI and Princess tours stood out when I was posting the 2014 trip reports. Some similar land locations but some different.

NB Radiance of the Seas

http://lclavette1.blogspot.com/search/label/VANCOUVER

NB Island Princess

http://www.thepreismans.com/alaska_island_14.htm

p.s. Just remembered this HAL cruisetour

http://maryandnormtravel.blogspot.ca/2014_09_01_archive.html

and this NCL cruisetour SB

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2089424

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

Although Princess does not allow smoking on the balconies, we found, unfortunately, that people still do.

Sure sorry you ran into that on Princess. We hear similar comment from time to time, not only about Princess but other lines as well who prohibit balcony smoking. Most of those references occur over on the HAL smoking thread, some even suggest that there is as much smoking on balconies of lines which prohibit it as there is on HAL balconies. All I can say is that we have not found any evidence at all of that ourselves, on either Regent or Princess ships, and we always book a balcony.

In fact, in a little over a year we have cruised on 4 different Princess ships, 11 weeks total, no violations noted whatsoever. I pay extra attention to this just because of all the controversy. Someone mentioned the exclusive smoking lounges. Princess has Churchill's and Regent has the Connoisseur Club, friends and relatives who smoke give these lounges positive ratings. HAL has none, with the exception of the Oak Rook on one ship. Even their new ship just ready to come out doesn't have such a lounge, some believe this results in an even higher percentage of passengers smoking on HAL balconies.

Sure sorry you ran into that on Princess. We hear similar comment from time to time, not only about Princess but other lines as well who prohibit balcony smoking. Most of those references occur over on the HAL smoking thread, some even suggest that there is as much smoking on balconies of lines which prohibit it as there is on HAL balconies. All I can say is that we have not found any evidence at all of that ourselves, on either Regent or Princess ships, and we always book a balcony.

In fact, in a little over a year we have cruised on 4 different Princess ships, 11 weeks total, no violations noted whatsoever. I pay extra attention to this just because of all the controversy. Someone mentioned the exclusive smoking lounges. Princess has Churchill's and Regent has the Connoisseur Club, friends and relatives who smoke give these lounges positive ratings. HAL has none, with the exception of the Oak Rook on one ship. Even their new ship just ready to come out doesn't have such a lounge, some believe this results in an even higher percentage of passengers smoking on HAL balconies.

People smoking on balconies, prohibited or otherwise, would not stop me sailing either on Princess or HAL. We had smokers on two Princess cruises, none on HAL. It's definitely not a deal breaker as I enjoyed my trips on both.

mapleleaves, I had seen the first 2 trip reports but not the last one, which had some helpful photos on it. Thanks for posting the links. Again, others reading this will likely enjoy taking a look.

Re: the smoking issue, we have friends who we met on a cruise and sometimes have sailed with since. They smoke, and always get a balcony. They are very considerate w/their smoking, though, and generally disappear for a few minutes after dinner to have a cigarette where it's allowed. They did that even when smoking was allowed in cabins and public venues. I believe they have graduated to smokeless cigarettes on balconies now - ? (Yes, I know those aren't allowed, either.) Since cigars are way more "pungent", that is the worst. I worried about that a lot the first time we ever had a balcony, but we were lucky.

Some show is on t.v. called Alaskan Bush People. Subject not my thing but I just looked up and the scenery is beautiful! (I'm a Deadliest Catch fan, though, and need to find out what the Deadliest Catch Tour consists of.)

Since cigars are way more "pungent", that is the worst. I worried about that a lot the first time we ever had a balcony, but we were lucky.

The cigar smoker is why I mentioned the smoking lounges. Actually, I don't mind having a pipe smoker on the adjacent balcony. An occasional cigarette doesn't upset me either. But since we usually book long voyages getting stuck with a cigar smoker is too much. Worst case scenario is what one HAL guest experienced, they had a cigar smoker on the adjacent balcony, but what really made it bad was that he would invite his cigar smoking buddies to join him. Now, if there had been a smoking lounge on that HAL ship chances are the little group would have got together in that venue.

When HAL became the only "game in town" for balcony smokers it was obvious that many smokers, faithful to other lines which were now prohibiting balcony smoking, would gravitate to HAL. Since we were four star mariners and it had taken a while to get those perks we paid attention to what was going on in hopes that HAL would adjust their smoking policies accordingly. Alas, when it finally became apparent that a change was not in the offing, we pulled the pin on them, canceled two cruises and canceled their email and brochure notifications of future cruise offers.

I guess the thing with smoking on balconies not allowed by Princess, if you were stuck next to someone who constantly smoked there, you can do something about it.

Thankyou for those links mapleleaves. :p. Cant get enough reading for our trip leaving in May. A real heavy duty bucket list item for me.

Edited by Pushka

Honestly - I have not experienced, nor read, about smoking being an issue on Princess's balconies. There are several reports of issues on HAL as it is still allowed and people are bothered by it and others book it because of that. I would be very hesitant to spend much money on a balcony in HAL as it seems to be the line that smokers have flocked to.

But hard to do if you don't know where it's coming from ;-)

No - it would not be difficult to find where it is coming from. Princess is very strict about this and will charge a $250 fine each time.

Remember, Princess had a fire on a ship which destroyed a portion of the ship due to what they believe is a cigarette.

AlaskanB, you mentioned you plan to take the shuttle to Talkeetna for breakfast when you are are McKinley Lodge. How long does it take to get to Talkeetna from McKinley, and is it a park shuttle? Are you doing that on your full day at McKinley, or the next day? Some of the tours I am looking at mention transfer stops at Talkeetna on the way north from the coast, but

I don't get the impression they give you time to look around. Don't know what we'll end up with cruisetour wise due to so many being listed at "fully booked" already. Then, too, I found out the earliest road that will be open in Denali opens the day our tour is LEAVING Denali! I know for Alaska we are jumping in a little later than is wise, but prior to my dh's unexpected health emergency last fall, we were going to visit Sydney and Port Randolph (GB Reef) on our own, then cruise to New Zealand. Needless to say, the best laid plans of mice and men . . . .!

AlaskanB, you mentioned you plan to take the shuttle to Talkeetna for breakfast when you are are McKinley Lodge. How long does it take to get to Talkeetna from McKinley, and is it a park shuttle? Are you doing that on your full day at McKinley, or the next day? Some of the tours I am looking at mention transfer stops at Talkeetna on the way north from the coast, but

I don't get the impression they give you time to look around. Don't know what we'll end up with cruisetour wise due to so many being listed at "fully booked" already. Then, too, I found out the earliest road that will be open in Denali opens the day our tour is LEAVING Denali! I know for Alaska we are jumping in a little later than is wise, but prior to my dh's unexpected health emergency last fall, we were going to visit Sydney and Port Randolph (GB Reef) on our own, then cruise to New Zealand. Needless to say, the best laid plans of mice and men . . . .!

McKinley Princess/Talkeetna is a 2 hour round trip shuttle. There is also a cost for this. I recommend, IF arriving by train, to use that time and either stay later, arrive earlier so as to not make this trip any more than you have to. Don't be in any rush to get to the lodge. There is little there, if Denali is not visable- but you have good viewing in Talkeetna as well. (providing no mobility restrictions, just walk toward the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge)

The "breakfast" mentioned is at the Talkeetna Roadhouse. This can be a VERY crowded place with long waits, so be certain you have enough time, if on a time schedule. It is group seating, in a tight space. :) I've stayed there several times as well.

For a quieter place with good food, and again- no mobility limits as it's a walk, is the Latitude. (have stayed there too)

It will be the Princess shuttle from the lodge to Talkeetna. We have an afternoon, overnight, and morning at the McKinley Lodge. After arriving at the lodge in the afternoon we have scheduled the Byers Lake Nature Walk --realizing that it is pricey for a 2 hr guided walk but it is what we enjoy doing.

The following morning we will take a shuttle into Talkeetna and return to the lodge in time for our early afternoon bus to the Denali Lodge. http://www.princesslodges.com/mckinley-lodge.cfm

It is Talkeetna's Centennial in 2016 so it will be interesting to see what the museum is doing. If we had more time we would do one of the river excursions.

We enjoy quirky small towns and their museums so think we will enjoy time wandering around.