Carnival corp please read

Cruisegirl6

You have staggered check in at NOLA and Galveston and soon in Miami and then will bring it to the other ports, I am not all for this "choosing check in time"....its not fair that passenger A boards at 11:30-2:00pm, gets to walk around the ship and look around, get some lunch, able to get luggage and unpack and start their cruise....passenger B that board in the afternoon not only miss having a lunch as food is taken away around 3ish, but they have really no time to walk around the ship, relax, they have to immediately get to the muster station and then after that unpack and those who have early dining have such a rush to get to their seating. Passenger B looses hours of being on the ship and its just not fair.

What is fair is for everybody to choose when they want to arrive at the pier and board the ship.

Usually one cruise at the end of the year we usually book last minute, which means FTTF will be sold out and most likely the late check in only be available, this is totally unacceptable to us, its just not fair.

I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO RAISE THE PRICE OF FTTF so that people such as myself who book late, are able to board the ship earlier than the other passenger. I am willing to pay $100 for it, I feel that you should have an option of a certain amount of FTTF regular prices and leave "Additional Price for FTTF" for those who book last minute, now this is fair so that if somebody such as myself wants to only board early I am given that option. Not giving me this option, would just make me go to RC or Princess instead of our late year Carnival cruise.

No need to raise the price. They usually release more last minute anyway. I believe you were able to snag one this way for your last cruise, no?

Maybe instead of raising the price of FTTF they can offer the early check in slots for a fee like the airlines do. $20 per cabin or whatever for "Zone 1". Not that I think they need more ways to nickel and dime us to death.

I also think that the Diamonds/Platinums/FTTF people shouldn't have to select a boarding time as they can show up at any time. Sure, it's good to get an idea of who will be coming when, but since they don't have to stick with it, it's probably safe to guess that most will pick early times not necessarily planning to arrive then.

Firemanbobswife- Yes, I did but I was looking for 21 days and got lucky lol I LOVE YOUR IDEA (early check in times for a fee)!! :)

I think for those who do choose early and don't go at their time, they should have them wait for a certain designated time such as 3pm, this would allow for people to choose with honestly.

I'm not thrilled with additional fees for anything now days but I have a feeling this is where it is leading to.

I can see them having an "Early Bird" type thing like Southwest. Pay extra at time of booking and get a low number automatically assigned. Otherwise you select your time like 7 days or whatever before your departure date. I would feel slightly conflicted with this as #1 - I don't like fees, #2 - incentive to book early and get choice of time as it sits now. But then again, a lot of times especially now days the closer you book to sailing date, the higher the price is. So it would be nice to level the playing field that way as well.

I need to take one more cruise then after that I will be Platinum so I'm really not stressing it, but it is something to ponder.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Firemanbobswife- Yes, I did but I was looking for 21 days and got lucky lol I LOVE YOUR IDEA (early check in times for a fee)!! :)

I think for those who do choose early and don't go at their time, they should have them wait for a certain designated time such as 3pm, this would allow for people to choose with honestly.

Seriously? You do know that life isn't perfect and when driving, or even flying to a port there could and most likely will be delays. I plan on putting the earliest time there is but if I am delayed by traffic or flight is running late then I would be punished?

IMHO if you want to be able to board when you want then it is easy. Take more cruises with Carnival and become Platinum, easy solution.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

You have staggered check in at NOLA and Galveston and soon in Miami and then will bring it to the other ports, I am not all for this "choosing check in time"....its not fair that passenger A boards at 11:30-2:00pm, gets to walk around the ship and look around, get some lunch, able to get luggage and unpack and start their cruise....passenger B that board in the afternoon not only miss having a lunch as food is taken away around 3ish, but they have really no time to walk around the ship, relax, they have to immediately get to the muster station and then after that unpack and those who have early dining have such a rush to get to their seating. Passenger B looses hours of being on the ship and its just not fair.

What is fair is for everybody to choose when they want to arrive at the pier and board the ship.

Usually one cruise at the end of the year we usually book last minute, which means FTTF will be sold out and most likely the late check in only be available, this is totally unacceptable to us, its just not fair.

I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO RAISE THE PRICE OF FTTF so that people such as myself who book late, are able to board the ship earlier than the other passenger. I am willing to pay $100 for it, I feel that you should have an option of a certain amount of FTTF regular prices and leave "Additional Price for FTTF" for those who book last minute, now this is fair so that if somebody such as myself wants to only board early I am given that option. Not giving me this option, would just make me go to RC or Princess instead of our late year Carnival cruise.

While I understand what you are saying, I will say what I tell my students: Life isn't fair.

It's not that much different than people who used to get Zone 1 cards vs. those who received Zone 20 cards or tender sticker #1 vs. tender sticker #40.

Be happy that you get to cruise, especially last minute. There are so many who cannot.

I also think that the Diamonds/Platinums/FTTF people shouldn't have to select a boarding time as they can show up at any time. Sure, it's good to get an idea of who will be coming when, but since they don't have to stick with it, it's probably safe to guess that most will pick early times not necessarily planning to arrive then.

It's funny you say this. We're sailing from Miami at the end of February, before the staggered time takes into effect. I was thinking that if we had to choose a time, I'd choose the latest available so someone who does not have priority check-in can take the earlier spot.

It's funny you say this. We're sailing from Miami at the end of February, before the staggered time takes into effect. I was thinking that if we had to choose a time, I'd choose the latest available so someone who does not have priority check-in can take the earlier spot.

I would as well but I was reading other posts and it seemed like a lot of people were saying just to take the early slots and arrive whenever or the slot that you actually intend to arrive.

Firemansbobswife- After my April 30th cruise I also turn platinum but father in law and my daughter and her bf remain to be gold, we like to board together as we travel together.

I have to admit, I do like southwest, where you can pay the extra fee and get one of the early boarding and I also love the extra leg space in the airplanes, we always pay for that, but it seems to be getting popular in nickeling and diming.

Ready2cruzagain- Another point why this system should not be used/allowed, people don't want to be on a timed schedule and they shouldn't have to after all, its been 47 years I been cruising and the current system works.

Stargate Fan- But the fact is first come first serve isn't it? I understand shore excursions booked with the cruise lines get priority and agree with that.

By the way, your a thoughtful person choosing later so that somebody can get the earlier time, most people only think of themselves and not others. Thank you.

Edited by lyndamr

We decided to see Star Wars at the last minute and when we arrived at the theater our choice of seats were front row only...should we have been allowed to purchase a "premium" ticket for more money and displaced someone who had been planning their outing for a lot longer?

I know, apples and oranges, but the concept is similar. If I book months in advance one of the perks, now, is to get that early time if desired without worrying that someone with a bit more money to spare will relegate me to a later time.

Besides, hundreds of passengers can't disrupt their lives to book a cruise at the last minute. Why should those who don't have to worry about that feel that they should be given an early time...pretty selfish if you ask me.

Perhaps they will tie the Carnival Credit Card to early check in as well like the airlines do (Zone 1 boarding and free bags - thankfully those are still free on Carnival - for now).

That's not a half bad idea as I haven't used mine since the initial $100 sign up credit I got and was debating if it's worth even keeping it open.

It is exactly this rationale that has led to the introduction of a staggered check in process. The "me first" attitude of wanting to get on the ship at the soonest opportunity to get maximum benefit of the first day is the crux of the problem. A large number of pushing, shoving, desperate people clogging the terminal as soon as the doors open creates unnecessary chaos, delays and long waits for everyone.

Staggered check in solves that problem.

However, there will still be those who can't grasp the greater benefit because they can't see past their own selfish perspective.

If you want to be one of the first to board, you have several options: have Platinum status, purchase FTTF or select one of the first check in times.

The problem is you don't want to be limited in your options and want the freedom to let everyone show up early and shove your way to the front.

In the greater scheme of things a couple hours difference in when you board is insignificant, even if you have mobility issues and a desperate need for immediate and multiple martinis.

The big picture is there if you choose to see it. I reckon the haze is too great for you to do so.

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the staggered thing. If a significant number of FTTF and Plats do this, you will have chaos in the early slots causing the whole thing to back up. Also, you risk having an over-zealous or ill-informed security person not allowing you to enter because your boarding pass lists a later time.

Picture this, 3500 people descending on the cruise terminal right at 10am wanting on the ship at the same time. Result, log jam. overwhelm the system and you get roughly 3,000 very upset cruisers yelling at carnival terminal staff because they have been waiting for hours causing more delays and more issues then are necessary.

Staggered times, 3500 cruisers showing up evenly and spread out between 10am and 3pm. everyone gets on board with no long waits and no upset people and ship sales on time.

I got the email 2 days ago about my cruise in April and said i needed to login and choose a check in time. after 2 days I was still able to pick a 10:00 am - 10:30 am. But I also have FTTF so as the email said I can show up "at my leisure" They just need me to pick a check in time to prepare onboard.

The other issue is people who get an email telling them when to arrive yet they ignore it and go Early anyway

That has been the standard advice here on the Carnival board for years, go when you want regardless of what the email states and it contributed to the fine mess we find ourselves in now ;)

Edited by sanmarcosman

But doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the staggered thing. If a significant number of FTTF and Plats do this, you will have chaos in the early slots causing the whole thing to back up. Also, you risk having an over-zealous or ill-informed security person not allowing you to enter because your boarding pass lists a later time.

I agree. We have FTTF and I picked 10:00-10:30 check in.

We sail from NOLA in 38 days. I set our arrival time the day that John announced the change. Checking today all of the arrival times are still available. It may only show that because I am platinum, but otherwise 38 days out and the earliest arrival time can still be selected.

I still think that it's going to mess up so many people who have to check out of hotels around 11 am and come on you are on vacation of course you want to get on the ship and get it started. I so get that! But when I have FTTF and you tell me I can check in at my leisure and then assign me a time of 1 pm in an email it tells me the right hand still does not know what the left hand is doing. :rolleyes: So I guess we will see how this works out ..

That has been the standard advice here on the Carnival board for years, go when you want regardless of what the email states and it contributed to the fine mess we find ourselves in now ;)

Yep..and all those who ignore the signs on board saying you can't go to your cabin and go, leave their luggage.

I would have no issue showing up later....if I had somewhere to "hang around" between hotel check out and getting into the terminal/boarding. With the distance that I have to travel/fly I have to travel the day before. The hotels want people out by 11:00 so it's get into a taxi to the pier......that's a long wait until 3:00pm though in the heat (or rain showers), with baggage, etc.

If I lived where I could drive to the port on embarkation day with some time to spare, I would do that. I could always sit in my air-conditioned car or stop somewhere handy like a restaurant or mall to kill some time and then proceed to the port.

I do understand though that not everyone can get on at once, check-in takes time and not everyone is patient. I'd even happily sit in the terminal and wait - just give me free Wi-Fi and a vending machine for a cold water or Pepsi:)

Not sure if "paying" is the answer or not...but I'm sure if a cruise line/airline, etc can make some $$, they will try it.

Seriously? It's not "fair" for someone who books early and puts up their money and deposit early, often more than a year in advance, to get the first choice of a boarding time? There aren't that many "perks" for early booking, as prices can decrease, and often last minute bookings get a better rate, so we should get something for booking early! :)

I understand Carnival implementing it, to help ease crowds. I would hope they do not go to another system where people pay more to board early (which technically is FTTF already). I think that should be a perk of booking early. JMHO

We sail from NOLA in 38 days. I set our arrival time the day that John announced the change. Checking today all of the arrival times are still available. It may only show that because I am platinum, but otherwise 38 days out and the earliest arrival time can still be selected.

I have two cruises booked out of Galveston, March 3 and August 7, 10:00 is still available on both as well.