Carnival corp please read

Cruisegirl6

This is probably going to emerge as the major issue with the staggered times. Here's a actual example (from an encounter in JAX, which in Dec, 2015, did not have the staggered check in?)

" Arrived at JAXPORT at 10:40am, at port (not ship) check in, SEC Guard noticed our check in time was 12:30 (we never even noticed this on the boarding pass)? We are Platinum, but when we pointed that out, he just said turn around and come back at 12:30??

So, we turned around, and re-entered the port a few minutes later in the opposite line from the first encounter. This time, the guard passed us right through to pax drop off. We went into check in at terminal, checked in and waited with the other Diamond/Platinum/FTTF pax, who apparently used the left lane at PORT check in:):)"

The issue here is who is going to ensure that the Sec Guards at the port and terminal check in, get proper information, when changes are made at each port? Carnival, the local port authority etc...???

Can anyone say Confusion:confused::confused:...the Port, Terminal, hotel shuttles, taxis and Carnival's own website and customer service.

The only other solution I see to this is to not have any time on the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF boarding passes.

Please don't suggest more or higher fees. I refuse to pay an airline a fee to choose my seat or board sooner, and I refuse to pay Carnival to board earlier.

Although I hate the entire enforced check-in time idea and haven't witnessed any embarkation problems that would justify it, I do think the problem of it being unfair to people who can't book a year ahead could be easily solved.

Allow people to choose times starting on the date the final payment is due, no earlier. Disney sets a specific window within which you can book fastpasses. Southwest sets a specific window within which you can check-in online and establish your boarding order. They don't want to scare away guests who can't book far in advance. Disney has obviously decided that that outweighs the benefits of encouraging early booking.

The only other solution I see to this is to not have any time on the Diamond/Platinum/FTTF boarding passes.

Ya think! :rolleyes: What exactly IS the purpose of times on these Preferred check in passes anyway? They can all board at their (or someone's) leisure??

As for the pax who have limited options for arrival at the port, due to flights, hotels, taxis, shuttles etc., Prefered or not, it will still present a new round of boarding issues.

Hopefully when we sail again in May or so, CCL will have all the "bugs" out of their check in/boarding procedures....:)

Ya think! :rolleyes: What exactly IS the purpose of times on these Preferred check in passes anyway? They can all board at their (or someone's) leisure??

As for the pax who have limited options for arrival at the port, due to flights, hotels, taxis, shuttles etc., Prefered or not, it will still present a new round of boarding issues.

Hopefully when we sail again in May or so, CCL will have all the "bugs" out of their check in/boarding procedures....:)

Some were saying that Priority people should select the time based on when they actually anticipate arriving at the port so there isn't a swarm of people all arriving at once. Others say they should select late to allow the people that aren't Priority and have to vacate hotels, etc the opportunity to wait in the terminal.

Nowhere in JHs announcements or anywhere do I see that Carnival says to choose the time you plan to arrive if you are Priority. Only that you pick a time and arrive "at your leisure." So it leads me to believe that they really don't care what time you pick or arrive and that its just a technicality. Hence IMHO they should do away with boarding times for Priority passengers.

After all, the people that take Carnival transfers are going to be allowed in at any time just like the other Priority people, so I don't think they are truly trying to control the flow all that much.

Edited by firemanbobswife

Some were saying that Priority people should select the time based on when they actually anticipate arriving at the port so there isn't a swarm of people all arriving at once. Others say they should select late to allow the people that aren't Priority and have to vacate hotels, etc the opportunity to wait in the terminal.

No where in JHs announcements or anywhere do I see that Carnival says to choose the time you plan to arrive if you are Priority. Only that you pick a time and arrive "at your leisure." So it leads me to believe that they really don't care what time you pick or arrive and that its just a technicality. Hence IMHO they should do away with boarding times for Priority passengers.

After all, the people that take Carnival transfers are going to be allowed in at any time just like the other Priority people, so I don't think they are truly trying to control the flow all that much.

Perhaps. And numerous people, including myself, have said that they should just do away with having priority cruisers In any form pick a time. However since for now you must, we will all be choosing the 11:00 am slot provided it's in place for the Magic come August. Those that have fttf, those that don't, and anyone in between. We have a big group and 11:00 was the time of consensus with the exception of 3 people who live in Florida than plan to arrive @ 1. We'll see how it all works out.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I took my first cruise in 1971 aboard the Song of Norway. I was 8 years old. This was RCI's first ship and she weight in at 23,000 GT with a passenger capacity of 724. I remember that there was one entrance onto the ship.

My next cruise was on the Imagination in 1996. 70,000 GT and passenger capacity of 2056. Just one entrance onto the ship.

I have not sailed on what is considered to be a mega ship, but with the Carnival Breeze weighing in at about 130,000 GT with a passenger capacity of 3600, there is still only one entrance onto the ship.

In my mind, instead of continuing to try to manage embarkation nearly the same way they have been doing for decades (and there have been some changes, like extra security measures), the cruise lines need to rethink the embarkation process. Adding just one additional walkway onto the ship would be an immense relief to passengers and cruise staff, as well.

Just my thoughts.

Ok, first of all, before I get beat up, we are sailing in two days out of Long Beach and there are no assigned times, but we got the email telling us to come between 2 and 2:30, we have scheduled our arrival for that time, because we are driving it is possible for us to that. That being said...this comparing to airlines is bogus. Airlines allow you check in as early as you want and sit in the lounge and wait to board the plane. If I'm understanding some of the issues with the staggered check in times, this is not an option for Carnival. You can not check in early and sit in the lounge and wait to board. I do realize some people are complaining about not getting on the boat earlier, but some people have the valid issue of not being able to sit in the lounge and wait your turn. This is what I believe Carnival needs to address. Forget the whiners who just want on the boat earlier, but address the no place to wait should you be coming straight from the airport or hotel. Of course this is just my two cents worth, and my 100 shares of Carnival stock doesn't give me any power to make these decisions!

Ok, first of all, before I get beat up, we are sailing in two days out of Long Beach and there are no assigned times, but we got the email telling us to come between 2 and 2:30, we have scheduled our arrival for that time, because we are driving it is possible for us to that. That being said...this comparing to airlines is bogus. Airlines allow you check in as early as you want and sit in the lounge and wait to board the plane. If I'm understanding some of the issues with the staggered check in times, this is not an option for Carnival. You can not check in early and sit in the lounge and wait to board. I do realize some people are complaining about not getting on the boat earlier, but some people have the valid issue of not being able to sit in the lounge and wait your turn. This is what I believe Carnival needs to address. Forget the whiners who just want on the boat earlier, but address the no place to wait should you be coming straight from the airport or hotel. Of course this is just my two cents worth, and my 100 shares of Carnival stock doesn't give me any power to make these decisions!

I agree, this is a very legitimate concern. I wonder how they could fix this without doing away with their staggered check-in procedure altogether. Like most Carnival roll-outs, it seems this one should have gotten a little more attention while on the drawing board, in order to smooth out the kinks.

I agree, this is a very legitimate concern. I wonder how they could fix this without doing away with their staggered check-in procedure altogether. Like most Carnival roll-outs, it seems this one should have gotten a little more attention while on the drawing board, in order to smooth out the kinks.

Maybe by allowing people to enter the terminal building but not allowing them to check in and receive their S&S card until their allotted time. That would discourage people from coming early unless they had nowhere else to go and allow the check in lines to go smoothly like they want.

You have staggered check in at NOLA and Galveston and soon in Miami and then will bring it to the other ports, I am not all for this "choosing check in time"....its not fair that passenger A boards at 11:30-2:00pm, gets to walk around the ship and look around, get some lunch, able to get luggage and unpack and start their cruise....passenger B that board in the afternoon not only miss having a lunch as food is taken away around 3ish, but they have really no time to walk around the ship, relax, they have to immediately get to the muster station and then after that unpack and those who have early dining have such a rush to get to their seating. Passenger B looses hours of being on the ship and its just not fair.

What is fair is for everybody to choose when they want to arrive at the pier and board the ship.

Usually one cruise at the end of the year we usually book last minute, which means FTTF will be sold out and most likely the late check in only be available, this is totally unacceptable to us, its just not fair.

I WOULD LOVE FOR YOU TO RAISE THE PRICE OF FTTF so that people such as myself who book late, are able to board the ship earlier than the other passenger. I am willing to pay $100 for it, I feel that you should have an option of a certain amount of FTTF regular prices and leave "Additional Price for FTTF" for those who book last minute, now this is fair so that if somebody such as myself wants to only board early I am given that option. Not giving me this option, would just make me go to RC or Princess instead of our late year Carnival cruise.

I don't have a problem with having times to select from. Consider an early time another benefit to booking early.

Life isn't fair. Such is life.

Am I the only one who deliberately arrives at the cruise terminal as late as possible? I'm the guy who checks in around 2:00-2:30pm, when I can walk right up to a check-in desk without standing in line, then walk right onboard without stopping, and go straight to my stateroom to drop my bags off since it will already be available. Not only that, but I can also enjoy a peaceful late lunch since the hordes of people with their carry ons at the buffet waiting for their cabins will be long gone.

Pretty much the same happens for me at 0945. :D

Maybe book your cruise in advance, pay a little more and board early, an amazing concept[emoji23]

That used to be the case unless you booked Early Saver which gives you the best possible deal. But the market has changed with fewer price drops and last minute deals. Now booking closer to sailing time is selling at premium pricing. Sure there will be exceptions, but this is becoming the new norm as ships are sailing full and bookings are up. So there's an extremely good chance that someone that booked close to sailing is paying more - sometimes a lot more - than someone who booked months ago.

I am one that likes to plan ahead and usually book 5 months or maybe more ahead of time. But the argument that the earlier you book the more you pay isn't holding true as of late.

That used to be the case unless you booked Early Saver which gives you the best possible deal. But the market has changed with fewer price drops and last minute deals. Now booking closer to sailing time is selling at premium pricing. Sure there will be exceptions, but this is becoming the new norm as ships are sailing full and bookings are up. So there's an extremely good chance that someone that booked close to sailing is paying more - sometimes a lot more - than someone who booked months ago.

I am one that likes to plan ahead and usually book 5 months or maybe more ahead of time. But the argument that the earlier you book the more you pay isn't holding true as of late.

I thought they was referring to paying for fttf. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Usually one cruise at the end of the year we usually book last minute, which means FTTF will be sold out and most likely the late check in only be available, this is totally unacceptable to us, its just not fair.

Please tell me you're just looking for reaction, rather than being serious with the 'its just not fair' line. I hear that constantly from my four year old over stuff that ultimately doesn't matter, just like this. I know this sounds rude, but seriously... Carnival is trying to help everyone overall and you're more worried about yourself, making sure you get the best last minute rate, and also get on the ship first.

The great Brian Regan comes to mind... "Oh, this is your world, it's all about you! You let us know when you're all set, Captain You Planet.... I WANNA GET ON!! You're gonna get on. I WANNA GET ON BEFORE EVERYONE ELSE!!!"

There are Three Freaking Thousand passengers trying to board the ship, give them a break as they try to improve that process for ALL.

It is exactly this rationale that has led to the introduction of a staggered check in process. The "me first" attitude of wanting to get on the ship at the soonest opportunity to get maximum benefit of the first day is the crux of the problem. A large number of pushing, shoving, desperate people clogging the terminal as soon as the doors open creates unnecessary chaos, delays and long waits for everyone.

Staggered check in solves that problem.

However, there will still be those who can't grasp the greater benefit because they can't see past their own selfish perspective.

If you want to be one of the first to board, you have several options: have Platinum status, purchase FTTF or select one of the first check in times.

The problem is you don't want to be limited in your options and want the freedom to let everyone show up early and shove your way to the front.

In the greater scheme of things a couple hours difference in when you board is insignificant, even if you have mobility issues and a desperate need for immediate and multiple martinis.

The big picture is there if you choose to see it. I reckon the haze is too great for you to do so.

Been on 10 cruises and have never witnessed pushing shoving or any desperate people. Not even chaos. Just orderly boarding. If people want to pay more to get on 45 minutes early I have no issues with that. Not worth it to me. On vacation I am in no rush to do anything. Wanna cut in front of me at the buffet? Go ahead. People are too uptight who gets on first. Big deal. You have all week to explore the ship. Relax Relax....

Am I the only one who deliberately arrives at the cruise terminal as late as possible? I'm the guy who checks in around 2:00-2:30pm, when I can walk right up to a check-in desk without standing in line, then walk right onboard without stopping, and go straight to my stateroom to drop my bags off since it will already be available. Not only that, but I can also enjoy a peaceful late lunch since the hordes of people with their carry ons at the buffet waiting for their cabins will be long gone.

We have always thought of you as well....different.;):)

Maybe by allowing people to enter the terminal building but not allowing them to check in and receive their S&S card until their allotted time. That would discourage people from coming early unless they had nowhere else to go and allow the check in lines to go smoothly like they want.

That might work. But would that mean that they would get to sit in the waiting-to-board seating area, mixed in with the passengers with early check-in times that have already checked in and have their S&S cards? That sounds messy and like it would lead to more problems. Or would they have to congregate somewhere outside of security? Or somewhere else I'm not thinking of? Every cruise terminal is different, but some that I've seen don't have a separate (public) area large enough to be a "holding pen" for those not yet checked in.

*by "large enough", I'm assuming the group would be at least 50 or so people.

That might work. But would that mean that they would get to sit in the waiting-to-board seating area, mixed in with the passengers with early check-in times that have already checked in and have their S&S cards? That sounds messy and like it would lead to more problems. Or would they have to congregate somewhere outside of security? Or somewhere else I'm not thinking of? Every cruise terminal is different, but some that I've seen don't have a separate (public) area large enough to be a "holding pen" for those not yet checked in.

Maybe have sections with check in times or one side for checked in people and the others who are waiting. I'm sure it could be arranged. I don't think it would be that complicated.

Been on 10 cruises and have never witnessed pushing shoving or any desperate people. Not even chaos. Just orderly boarding. If people want to pay more to get on 45 minutes early I have no issues with that. Not worth it to me. On vacation I am in no rush to do anything. Wanna cut in front of me at the buffet? Go ahead. People are too uptight who gets on first. Big deal. You have all week to explore the ship. Relax Relax....

Sadly, I can say that I have witnessed it twice, once in New York and once in Miami. Both were in the case of delayed boarding.

The Miami terminals are not big enough to hold the increasing numbers of passengers and who are arriving earlier and earlier. Some are pulling up at 8 am. Those people have to sit outside with no access to facilities until about 10am. Around about 11-11:30 am, the terminal is full of people, many who have gotten their S&S cards and are waiting to board. That could be an hour yet or more. They end up preventing anyone more including those with Priority into the terminal at all until the zones are boarding reducing the number of people inside the terminal since the terminal has reached fire capacity. There are lines left outside, in the Miami heat, many of whom take out their frustration on any visible Carnival or port personnel.

In Miami, people will be able to enter the port. They just will be prevented from entering the terminal.