Anthem Food

tl12356

How come I can't seem to find anyone, very few at that, saying the food was good.

Planning a trip in June and don't want to be spending close to six thousand bucks and find the food is a bummer.

Please put you .2 cents in.:confused::confused:

Edited by tl12356

Why is it that people who eat hot dogs, burgers and pizza at home all of a sudden become Michelin food critics when they board a cruise ship??

The food on the Anthem is fine, not the best and not the worst, but when you're serving 4,000 meals a day in the main dining rooms, don't expect the same food you would find in a fine dining restaurant on land that is serving a couple of hundred customers.

Keep in mind the money you are spending is primarily for your cabin, transportation, entertainment, swimming pools, hot tubs, Ifly, Northstar, Bumper Cars, Flo-rider, rock climbing, etc. and of course destinations (ports). It's not all about food.

We will be back april 10th and will let you know!!!!

I hope you'll be back April 8th since that's the day we're boarding :D

I assume you mean you'll be back on here to report on the 10th?

Are you kidding? what a joke.

RCCL Cruises are massively more expensive in the EU than other lines. The food is consistantly worse than other lines too. Anthem Food was the worst i have eaten on a cruise by far. 5 white steaks which looked like pork sent back in a row! Cold bland curry and breakfast which was worse than a £3 cafe.

They are cutting costs on food. Prices this year on Indi are 50% more expensive than 2 years ago. staff are happy to serve you crap and when you send it back its suddenly better most of the time. Its like you have to eat crap first to get the meal you should have had. One Menu on Allure was so bad not one person on the table would eat any of it and we ended off with a secret curry from a menu that was for indian customers which was 100x better than the crap "beef tenderloin" they tried to pass off to us earlier.

You must be one of those Michelin critics! :D

By the way if they are massively more expensive then other lines, take the other lines. :rolleyes:

How come I can't seem to find anyone, very few at that, saying the food was good.

Planning a trip in June and don't want to be spending close to six thousand bucks and find the food is a bummer.

Here's my opinion, yes, my opinion. Was on Quantum last year, on Anthem for the Nov. 30th 12 night, and my family and friends are booked on Anthem again this Spring.

Wonderland - never tried it on Quantum because quite frankly the menu looked scary, like there was maybe one thing that remotely looked appetizing, and the extra fee was crazy. That being said, after reading all the reviews from Anthem's debut from the UK sailings, we booked it, using the advice to NOT order off the menu but to just give an overview of what we generally would eat, any allergies, and let the waiter bring stuff. Hands down, smartest thing we did. Know that we travel with three friends over 80 who are extremely picky and I'd dare say quite critical, we're in our 40's but I haven't tried many foods. The staff was fantastic, the food was creative, tasty, it was an experience and we had a great time. Still, had I looked at the menu I'd not ordered what I actually ate. Here's the funny thing, we actually skipped a night at Silk and went back to Wonderland to try more things.

Silk - The staff was very nice, and the shrimp toast (like you'd get bread on the table or noodles w/ duck sauce dip) was great. The food was very hit or miss, but mostly miss. The spring rolls were good, the egg drop soup was ok, but the general tsao's chicken was tasteless and chewy, a few of us had the duck and it was rubbery and tasteless. I wanted to like the food, I love korean, chinese, japanese, indian and thai food, but we didn't find good plates at Silk. The sake was wonderful, and our waiter was really really nice. We chose not to go back to Silk.

American Icon - We went twice, our waiter at table 241 the first night was Ramprakash and he was super amazing. We were there early, seating was 5:30, and he had enough time to talk with us because he didn't have many tables. Guess what that reminded us of? Main dining room ships, where the waiter or Asst. waiter get to know you. He was great, our drinks were never empty, our food came out quickly and it was hot, the crab cakes are great here, as are the short ribs, even the spaghetti & meatballs. The candy bar dessert and the specially drinks there are great. Now - our 2nd time at American Icon was the last night of our cruise and it was very different. We had a different waiter, his name was not on the table and I could not understand what he said during introductions. They were out of all the items I mentioned above, except the spaghetti & meatballs. I ordered the 'surf & turf' which is a sirloin steak and shrimp. We never got drink refills, the bar service we asked for never came. So we can live through that, the alarming thing was that the waiter taking plates from the cart was removing the lids, moving the full dinner plates to the floor, and once he found all of the right plates, he moved the plates to his forearm to carry them to the table. Mind you, people were walking by those plates on their way to their table or on their way out of the restaurant. It's not normal to have plates of food on the floor and then serve them to guests. Fast forward to us receiving our meals. Our plates didn't hit the floor thankfully, but they were cold. I didn't send mine back, a pasta dish went and it came back hot. But my sirloin steak, and I wish I had a picture, it couldn't have been beef. It looked and had the consistency of a pork chop. It was bizarre, and it didn't taste good so I could not eat it. The other surf & turf plates were the same way. We flagged down the waiter to ask about the meat but he didn't come back to the table. We ended up leaving American Icon and not eating those meals. There are many other places on the ship to get food :-)

Chic - did not eat at Chic that trip

Grande - We had two nights planned at Grande, but we ended up at table 215, our waitress was Carleen, and found both our service and food was superb. So we kept coming back to the same table for four nights. Grande had both beef tenderloin and lobster, with excellent appetizers that we could mix & match each night. Interestingly, we noticed that at least five other tables right around us always had the same people so they must have scheduled The Grande for every dinner. I saw many negative comments on the Grande for service, lines, food, but we had great experiences there.

Coastal Kitchen - We were in a Grande Suite so we ate breakfast each morning in CK, a few lunches and two dinners. The staff are very good and get to know you, the food is excellent, although it seemed like the menu choices were a bit limited (but still very good). The scallops and lobster combine for an amazing dinner, the tenderloin and the lamb are all good choices. For the lunch, the soups are wonderful, the flatbread pizzas ad the shrimp were all quite tasty.

Divinely Decadent - This is now Solarium Bistro, but we ate lunch there and the food was excellent. We're going back in April for dinner.

Michael's pub - The food is a-la-cart, but it was among the best food on the ship. The fish & chips, the burger, the deviled eggs, scotch egg... they were all excellent. The staff at Michael's treated people nice and were welcoming, they got to know guest names and it showed. Totally worth the visit.

Izumi - In our party of five, three do not eat raw fish, two do. We all went to Izumi for lunch and it was wonderful. Great service, both the manager and the waiter were attending to us and we had a great bottle of sake and a number of different plates. it's a bit odd for the restaurant layout because the walkway goes right through Izumi, but there's not a lot of foot traffic during lunch. I'd think when a show let out from the theatre or the music hall it would be a different story.

Jamie's Italian - It gets great reviews, and we'v eaten dinner there twice, once on Quantum, once on Anthem, but none of us have been impressed. The planks are original but didn't knock our socks off. The Italian dishes like the lasagna were dried out. Giovanni's Table was soooo much better for italian dishes, so I guess it's just down to personal taste. We won't be going back to Jamie's.

Chops - We usually go to Chops each cruise, and the visit in November was top notch. Our waiter was Mustafa and he was excellent. It was quite busy and people w/o reservations were trying to get seated and were offered alternative times or turned away as they were booked. Our appetizers were excellent, the shrimp cocktail, mushroom soup, french onion soup, the steaks were GREAT and cooked to perfection, and the side dishes were awesome. There wasn't room for dessert. But the huckleberry cheesecake was calling, so we got some. Chops is great, worth the charge.

270 - There are lines, make sure you get a kimmeweck sandwich, it's the roast beef on a special roll. They are very good, and that is why their are lines. The wrap sandwiches are also good. On boarding day, you don't have to go to Windjammer, you can head right down to 270 and eat there (no elevator wait).

Windjammer - so many more foods offered than non-Quantum ships, but the stations do not have organized lines. I found that people were coming at the stations from all over, so it was like a frenzy, people pushing, and I wanted no part of it. If I'm at Windjammer, I'm on vacation. On vacation, I'm there to get away from that crap, not get into it. Having people push by me to get to a food station, really? We avoided Windjammer after that, I'd love to know if the line maintenance gets better. The open air seats at the back are very nice, in warmer weather you shouldn't miss that area.

You'll have a great time, Anthem is a beauty. We're going back. I totally get that making meals for 4,000 is a huge undertaking. But superb food on a cruise is a selling point, if it's too difficult to do for 4,000 people, then maybe there should be less than 4,000 people until the right staff to guest mix is understood and the food quality is acceptable across the board. We alternate with main dining room ships, and while the 'new' factor isn't there, Grandeur of the Seas has better food and service than Anthem. At some point, Anthem won't be new, and hopefully by that time RCCL will have figured out the recipe.

Why is it that people who eat hot dogs, burgers and pizza at home all of a sudden become Michelin food critics when they board a cruise ship??

lol...This is true of so many people. I'm not saying people shouldn't expect good food but expecting and wanting fine dining on a cruise just isn't realistic. Some of that is rccl's fault labeling things as fine dining or world class.

Op also remember what one person labels as bad food, is good to another. Its all very, very subjective. You'll see reviews or threads were people say the food is inedible and trust me that is not the case. Oddly enough those people never leave hungry with all the inedible food they talk about. So just like to complain and be noticed on the boards

"£2350 for 2 weeks on Indi without a flight...

£340 per night for a couple.

You can actually stay in the Ritz Carlton and eat there for this much.

In Birmingham i can eat at a michelin star restaurant for £100 a head and stay in a 4* Hotel and still have enough money left over to go see a show at the theatre.

the food will be better, the service will be better the room will be better the show will actually be a west end production.

If i paid this much and got the food from the last 2 cruises then id never book again. Today 03:23 PM"

Thats great, I guess but not sure why you're replying to my comment. If thats what you're after then I have no clue why you would book a cruise.

Edited by chadbeck

I guess it's all relative. I am not a gourmand, nor a gourmet cook. I tend to prefer simpler fare, but am game to try new things. My opinion is probably very different from everyone else's.

I just got off Anthem for the second time, and I thought the food was pretty good. Some outstanding, some good, some ok, some not good, but overall, pretty good.

My thoughts:

Jaime's Italian: very much a mixed bag. I ordered the Arancini (rice balls) appetizer, expecting it to be at least somewhat similar to the ones we love here in Jersey. Not even close. No flavor at all. Two bites was plenty. The lamb chops were outstanding and cooked perfectly. The side pasta pomodoro was awful--I've had better sauce from a jar! The Pavlova dessert was so good it would almost be worth going back just for that. Service was very good.

The Grande: atmosphere is like the formal MDRs of old. The night I was there they were so busy it was crazy, but the service was good, if a bit slow. The duck was excellent, the lobster overcooked and mushy. Chocolate lava cake was outstanding. I can't even remember anything else I ate there.

American Icon: NE clam chowder is better in a can from Campbells. Gnocchi on the TA was outstanding. Lamb shank on the last one was incredible--moist, full of flavor, not overly salty or fatty. Chocolate PB mousse cake was great. Icon Candy Bar cake was too sweet. Service was good. They also open for breakfast, which is pretty much your standard fare.

Silk: Vietnamese taco appetizer was excellent, and the Shumiii (or something like that) appetizer was amazing. Hibachi Steak was cooked to perfection and full of flavor. Lemongrass creme brulee was the best we had anywhere on board. Service was outstanding.

Chic: I ordered the "bruschetta" but I've never had to construct my own! Nice little mozzarella balls, halved cherry tomatoes, and a rock hard slab of toasted bread. I ate the cheese and tomatoes and that was it. The lamb shank reappeared here and was outstanding again. Gnocchi here was the worst I have ever tried to eat. Tasted like mushy paste. Pavlova dessert was even better than the one I paid for at Jaimes! Best service anywhere on board.

Wonderland--a totally weird experience, with most of the food not really to our liking, but the braised beef was TO DIE FOR and the key lime lollipops were super. Once the waiter figured out that we weren't going to follow his suggestions, he made himself pretty scarce, which led to mediocre service.

Chops: had a couple of really nice meals there on the TA, was less impressed on this last run. The French Onion soup was great on the TA, way too salty this time. Filet cut like butter, cooked to perfection each time. Potato croquets with gruyere had very little flavor. Desserts were very nice--loved the red velvet.

Service was excellent each time.

Izumi: I'm not a big sushi person, and it HAS to be cooked. I LOVED the Dragon Eel roll so much I went back the first night on the second trip and had it again. Ramen soup was icky, dumplings were excellent. Service was good.

Cafe 270: my go-to lunch place. I love their tuna wrap and their chicken Cesar salad. If you ask, you can get a nice fresh fruit cup. Lots of other options too, but these were me favorites. Breakfasts were also nice. Their version of an egg mcmuffin was great, but make sure they heat it up for you. Also enjoyed the mozarella and tomato crostini. Their pastries were hit or miss--sadly they ruin their chocolate croissant by squirting on the Hershey's syrup. Excellent scones! Plus you really can't beat the atmosphere eating in 270. Lines can be long, but move rather quickly.

Solarium Bistro: a huge improvement over DD. Very limited menu. You choose your entree from the menu, and then go up to the salad bar and appetizer buffet. Lots of Mediterranean stuff on there--kefta (sp) Turksih meatballs of lamb and beef, pita bread with hummus, baba ganoush, tzatzaki, etc. Watermelon with feta and balsamic was surprisingly yummy. Fried calamari was better than anticipated, but probably frozen fast-food stuff. The lobster tails are small and were a bit overcooked, but way better than the mushy one I had in the Grande. Mahi mahi was dry and flavorless, but I may just not like mahi mahi! Dessert bar gave multiple options, all small so you could choose more than one and not feel like a pig. Creme brûlée was nice, panacotta wasn't great, cream puffs very good, and baklava was very good--not as sweet as usual. Service was outstanding, and very friendly. The mystery here is why it's almost impossible to get a reservation, but there are always a ton of empty tables. Our guess is low staffing issues. I had breakfast there a few times--it's pretty much a smaller, quieter version of the Windjammer. Didn't go for lunch, but those who did have said it was not a good experience.

Michael's Genuine Pub: service was abysmal to non-existent. I did have lunch there one day. The fish & chips had No flavor at all. Polenta fries were outstanding!

Windjammer: I avoid it like the plaque for the most part, but did have breakfast there once or twice, and lunch once. The food was pretty decent. I just really don't like the crowds. They do have freshly scooped ice cream in the evenings, and that was good. And the cookies....oh God, the cookies! The coconut ranger cookies and the cranberry cookies are responsible for just about every ounce I gained on board! Watch out for the wombats trying to grab your plate away before you've even taken your last bite!

Johnny Rockets: tried this for lunch the first day of the TA. Yes, you have to pay, but it's so much cheaper than at home that you really don't mind! Typical JR fare, with a very limited menu and only 3 choices of milkshakes. I love their onion rings.

Seaplex DogHouse: decent hot dogs, several choices of sausages, all sorts of toppings, and slow service.

La Patisserie: Starbucks coffee, and the only place onboard to get a chai latte (they had them in the WJ and 270 on the TA, but No more). Pastries are nice but you have to pay $1.95. Macarons are very good, $1.25 each or $5 for 5. Service was efficient and very friendly.

Cafe Promenade: a pale imitation of Princess's International Cafe, and I never did find anything I liked there. Except those damned cookies!!!! The only place to get hot water for tea at night.

So, to create the perfect meal--Shumi appetizer at Silk, lamb shank at AI or Chic, and Pavlova at Chic.

The food on the Anthem is fine, not the best and not the worst, but when you're serving 4,000 meals a day in the main dining rooms, don't expect the same food you would find in a fine dining restaurant on land that is serving a couple of hundred customers.

Keep in mind the money you are spending is primarily for your cabin, transportation, entertainment, swimming pools, hot tubs, Ifly, Northstar, Bumper Cars, Flo-rider, rock climbing, etc. and of course destinations (ports). It's not all about food.

Well, maybe it is because RCI sales brochures say stuff like: "From cupcakes to California rolls, finger foods to a five-course gourmet meal, a Royal Caribbean cruise is a journey of culinary discovery. Our innovative chefs, each trained and certified, will take your palate global with a lineup of complimentary and specialty options." what you are saying they should promote is: " Our food is OK but please be patient and consider that we are serving 4000 people so give us some slack."

If I expected food to be equal to an AI, I would not even bother. My first cruise on Disney, the food is a big reason we wanted to cruise again. On our second cruise, for our anniversary, my DW & I went on Liberty and the food was for the most part, superb. I've read many disappointing reviews for Anthems food, but given that we are going on a cruise with 7 or 8 families, the Departure port, Sail dates and on board activities were a more important factor, but I'm hopeful that by then, they will have most of the issues ironed out.

I can't get over how some people just accept mediocrity as the norm and are willing to pay for it. No wonder things aren't made like they used to.:(

Did you even see this page: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

Nothing on that page tells me to expect what you are saying.

dp

Edited by dpostman

Well, maybe it is because RCI sales brochures say stuff like: "From cupcakes to California rolls, finger foods to a five-course gourmet meal, a Royal Caribbean cruise is a journey of culinary discovery. Our innovative chefs, each trained and certified, will take your palate global with a lineup of complimentary and specialty options." what you are saying they should promote is: " Our food is OK but please be patient and consider that we are serving 4000 people so give us some slack."

If I expected food to be equal to an AI, I would not even bother. My first cruise on Disney, the food is a big reason we wanted to cruise again. On our second cruise, for our anniversary, my DW & I went on Liberty and the food was for the most part, superb. I've read many disappointing reviews for Anthems food, but given that we are going on a cruise with 7 or 8 families, the Departure port, Sail dates and on board activities were a more important factor, but I'm hopeful that by then, they will have most of the issues ironed out.

I can't get over how some people just accept mediocrity as the norm and are willing to pay for it. No wonder things aren't made like they used to.:(

Did you even see this page: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/anthemoftheseas/dining/restaurants/

Nothing on that page tells me to expect what you are saying.

dp

I guess I'm realistic enough to know that RCCL is not a luxury line but much more middle of the road. The brochure you quote is simply "puffery" as you'll find in the description of most products and services. I think it's much more realistic to temper expectations and then be pleasantly surprised if they're exceeded. Knowing they are serving over 4,000 people 3 meals a day or more than 84,000 meals on a one week cruise, it's just unreasonable IMO to expect every meal to be consistent regarding quality and service.

As the ships get larger the service and quality suffer. RCCL hopes to make up for that with over the top entertainment and attractions which currently seems to be working based on their stock price which has nearly doubled in the past 2 years.

I guess it's all relative. I am not a gourmand, nor a gourmet cook. I tend to prefer simpler fare, but am game to try new things. My opinion is probably very different from everyone else's.

I just got off Anthem for the second time, and I thought the food was pretty good. Some outstanding, some good, some ok, some not good, but overall, pretty good.

My thoughts:

So it's sounding to me like Anthem's food is now about on par with the rest of the fleet. Reviews on food/service seem to be better than when she first arrived here.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

So it's sounding to me like Anthem's food is now about on par with the rest of the fleet. Reviews on food/service seem to be better than when she first arrived here.

I'm feeling like that as well. Reviews seem to be getting better & better every week. I assume that RCI does care at least a little bit about the feedback they were getting and must be putting some effort into improving things.

I am really relieved because that group of 7 or 8 families that are going on our group cruise are all going because I chose that particular cruise... so I'm really really hoping it turns out to be positive. I think RCI should be comping me some OBC for all the cash flow I'm bringing their way :D

dp

I've been on 3 Royal Caribbean cruises and every time the food tasted the exact same. I'm expecting the Anthem of the Seas to be the same. I'll let you know when I come back on March 4. But I'm a picky eater and eat worse than a little kid, so my opinion may not matter to you that much.

I am really relieved because that group of 7 or 8 families that are going on our group cruise are all going because I chose that particular cruise... so I'm really really hoping it turns out to be positive. I think RCI should be comping me some OBC for all the cash flow I'm bringing their way

Isn't 8 cabins booked the point at which you can call it a group and get the next cabin free or at least some sort of discount?

Your not looking hard enough...:rolleyes:

RCCL Cruises are massively more expensive in the EU than other lines. The food is consistantly worse than other lines too. Anthem Food was the worst i have eaten on a cruise by far. 5 white steaks which looked like pork sent back in a row! Cold bland curry and breakfast which was worse than a £3 cafe.

They are cutting costs on food. Prices this year on Indi are 50% more expensive than 2 years ago. staff are happy to serve you crap and when you send it back its suddenly better most of the time. Its like you have to eat crap first to get the meal you should have had. One Menu on Allure was so bad not one person on the table would eat any of it and we ended off with a secret curry from a menu that was for indian customers which was 100x better than the crap "beef tenderloin" they tried to pass off to us earlier.

when I read a post like this I always think of one thing........bull----,

don't believe a word of this post, period....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

when I read a post like this I always think of one thing........bull----,

don't believe a word of this post, period....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

i know nothing about UK prices, but i can vouch for the gross pork-like steaks. on our dec 12 cruise (out of NJ) our servers told us that the various steaks on the menus had been replaced with "loin." we figured that would be tenderloin. boy, were we wrong. the first night in american icon when that sucker came out, our whole table had a (joking) argument about whether it was pork or beef. even friend eating it couldn't tell - she thought it was beef, but her husband tasted it and said pork. finally we asked the server and she said it was in fact beef.

the same poor meat replaced the filet in the grande. i ate about two bites. and i am by no means a food snob. it tasted grainy - i can't think of another way to describe it. it took two lava cakes to get the taste out of my mouth. :p

there was some ok food, but plenty of other food problems, too. also at american icon i ordered the cookie sundae, and the cookie was so hard i couldn't even break it with a spoon or fork. i just ate the ice cream off the top, and then picked up the cookie, but it was so hard i was worried i'd break a tooth (and i'm relatively young and have all my teeth :D ). my baked potato at chops was also hard as a rock and my steak was basically a block of salt. and on and on.

i really hope things are improving. we had fantastic service throughout the whole ship while previous cruises had many complaints, so it seems like they got that straightened out. when we went on quantum last year there were tons of complaints about the food before our jan 3 cruise, and our cruise seemed to be the one on which it turned around, and everything was great. it does sound like they are working on the food quality and preparation issues on anthem; i just kind of wish we had waited a few extra months to sail, because much of the food was definitely sub-par.

Lots of good reviews and some bad. But we're looking forward to the food on Anthem in June when we go!

Only really bad thing is I never understood in this one was the propensity/desire to slam someone for their views on the food - in particular, calling them "Michelin food critics" - is that really necessary? They're just telling us what they experienced.

Good food and far better than what I cook!:D So no complaints!

Lots of good reviews and some bad. But we're looking forward to the food on Anthem in June when we go!

Only really bad thing is I never understood in this one was the propensity/desire to slam someone for their views on the food - in particular, calling them "Michelin food critics" - is that really necessary? They're just telling us what they experienced.

Michelin food critic?....I'd take that as a compliment!:D but to each their own.