Giving NCL One More Try... Advice?!?

DrVal

Hoping that our problems on the Dream this summer were ship specific, we've just reserved a Mexican Riviera sailing of the Star. Based on what we were told by the members here, comparing the Star to the Dream is a night and day comparison.

We have learned a few things since our initial NCL cruise. We chose the Star because we're told it is a newer ship and offers a truer NCL experience. By the time we board, we will have been to all of the ports (+2) on our Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise; therefore, if a port gets cancelled, we won't miss as much. We initially anticipated booking the Star to Alaska/Glacier Bay next season, but when the Bay got cancelled late this season, we decided to stick to ports we'd already visited. We have already requested in pre-registration that our beds be configured as 1 bed. We booked directly through NCL so we can control our reservation.

Does anyone have any ship specific advice for us? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to request a specific waiter, even if that means a longer wait? We are looking forward to a fun and relaxing vacation, but of course have some trepidation.

Upon our return, we will provide a detailed review. We'd love to hear from Star cruisers and Mexican Riviera cruisers about your experiences. :)

Hoping that our problems on the Dream this summer were ship specific, we've just reserved a Mexican Riviera sailing of the Star. Based on what we were told by the members here, comparing the Star to the Dream is a night and day comparison.

We have learned a few things since our initial NCL cruise. We chose the Star because we're told it is a newer ship and offers a truer NCL experience. By the time we board, we will have been to all of the ports (+2) on our Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise; therefore, if a port gets cancelled, we won't miss as much. We initially anticipated booking the Star to Alaska/Glacier Bay next season, but when the Bay got cancelled late this season, we decided to stick to ports we'd already visited. We have already requested in pre-registration that our beds be configured as 1 bed. We booked directly through NCL so we can control our reservation.

Does anyone have any ship specific advice for us? Also, does anyone know if it's possible to request a specific waiter, even if that means a longer wait? We are looking forward to a fun and relaxing vacation, but of course have some trepidation.

Upon our return, we will provide a detailed review. We'd love to hear from Star cruisers and Mexican Riviera cruisers about your experiences. :)

Here's a link to my detailed review of our trip on the Star back in March. Good luck.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=150680

We are huge Star fans and are thinking about going in February for what would be our fourth time. The crew is fantastic and the ship is beautiful. I will provide my links below for both pictures and review. As far as specific waitstaff. Here's my all time favorites:

Valentina and Lusiana in Aqua (they're on the same team)

Andres Mesa is the Maitre D' in Aqua (very kind, a true gentlemen)

Eby Rikin in Ginza, Market Place and Versailles (excellent)

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingfrommn

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=220480

Hope that helps! Any more specific questions, let me know.

We were on the last sailing in the Star to Alaska this past September.

I don't have much ship specific stuff to tell you. We liked the service in Aqua better than the service in Versailles. The icecream shop has specific hours, thery're only open until 9pm, so that was a bummer for us. Don't look for the towel animals, cause you only get them one night.

We were on the last sailing in the Star to Alaska this past September.

I don't have much ship specific stuff to tell you. We liked the service in Aqua better than the service in Versailles. The icecream shop has specific hours, thery're only open until 9pm, so that was a bummer for us. Don't look for the towel animals, cause you only get them one night.

We got them every night!!! It seems to depend on your room steward.

Hi, we have never been on the Star, but love the Sun which came out just about the same month as the Star. I don't think you will be disappointed. The dining choices alone, hopefully will make you want to come back again and again. We just finished our transatlantic cruise on the Jewel: DH isn't as fond of cruising as I am, but he certainly loved the Jewel. Cruising on the Star to me would be more of a total cruising experience rather than an opportunity to see the ports as I am not one that is in love with the pacific side of Mexico. Of course this is a personal feeling and not shared by all. As for requesting certain wait staff, yes you can and I would take the advise of others on this one. Be sure and try a variety of eateries as this is just one of the advantages of freestyle. More than anything, remember Celebrity and NCL are two separate products with differesnt strong and weak points. These happen to be our two favorite lines, but as I just said, for different reasons. NMNita

I've never been on the Star, but have cruised two other NCL ships -- the Sun and the Sea (twice). We have been able to request the waiters we liked on all three cruises. Didn't realize it on the first cruise until about 1/2 way through when the charming waitress we had twice by luck (Novisa) told us we could ask for a table in her section. We requested her a third time and were seated promptly, and again the last night and had about an hour wait. We just went back to our cabins and packed, and they phoned our room when she had a table open up.

Since then, we've found a waiter we liked the first night of both cruises, and have asked to be seated in their area about 4 additional nights. It has meant that we end up eating in one dining room rather than trying the optional restaurants, but that hasn't been a problem for us. It does give your waiter the opportunity to get to know you likes and dislikes and provides what I imagine to be "more traditional" cruise dining, without having to be tied into a specific eating time.

If you can find someone who gives you good service, by all means ask for their area. We also have a friend who makes a standing reservation the first night out. He just arranged with the maitre'd to be seated each night at the same time (they prefer to eat right as the restaurant opens), and that way they get the same table and waiter each night. In order to do that, however, you pretty well need to make your reservations for either early or late in the dining schedule.

Good luck with the Star. Hopefully your experience will be better than your nightmare on the Dream.

Welcome back DrVal. I'm happy to see you taking another chance on NCL on one of their newer ships. I hope this trip is fantastic!

I cruised on the Star for her maiden voyage back in 2001 and I loved it. I think it's my favorite ship. I was on deck 11. Room 11598; AF mini suite. Very good location except for the few times I heard chairs being moved around on deck 12. If you're a really light sleeper, look carefully at what's above your chosen room. My favorite dinner was in the Teppanyaki restaurant. I did have to pay extra for it but worth it. I had many amazing meals in the regular dining rooms and if you didn't eat in any of the alternative dining rooms, you'd have great food. I just enjoy the hibachi experience. The atrium on the Star is beautiful. I thought there was a lot of open deck space. I think the pools are a little crowded because of the slides but I'm not really a pool person so it was only visually that I didn't like it. I never used them. I found the show lounge to be a little cold. I don't know if the air vents are in the seat backs but it sometimes felt like air was coming at you. Maybe it was just where I sat?

I really enjoyed my Star cruise and I'd cruise that ship again in a heartbeat. The Mexican Riviera cruise on the Star is actually our next choice for a cruise after the baby gets older. We were booked for it earlier this year but found out I was pregnant and had to cancel. Maybe next year or the year after that. Again, I hope you have a great time.

Thanks to all for the reviews, photos and great advice. Keep the tips and "insider" information coming.

MN: thanks for posting your favortite staff -- if they're still onboard for our trip, that info. will be invaluable. :)

Lucy: thanks for the heads up about Aqua, though I'm sure we'll try them both ;). Regarding the ice cream closing at 9pm -- on the Dream I think the ice cream stand was only open 4 or 5 hours a day, so a 9pm close seems generous. The biggest problem on that front was the lack of non-fat or low-fat options. Many days there was only full-fat ice cream instead of a yogurt or sherbert option -- do you know what the Star carries typically?

Cecilia: Thanks for the support and fingers crossed for you and yours :D. We used our credit from the Dream to book a gty so we'll be at the mercy of NCL regarding room assignment. We've had good luck on previous cruises, so we're not too worried about location... we're typically extremely easy to please. :p

Thanks to all for the reviews, photos and great advice. Keep the tips and "insider" information coming.

MN: thanks for posting your favortite staff -- if they're still onboard for our trip, that info. will be invaluable. :)

Lucy: thanks for the heads up about Aqua, though I'm sure we'll try them both ;). Regarding the ice cream closing at 9pm -- on the Dream I think the ice cream stand was only open 4 or 5 hours a day, so a 9pm close seems generous. The biggest problem on that front was the lack of non-fat or low-fat options. Many days there was only full-fat ice cream instead of a yogurt or sherbert option -- do you know what the Star carries typically?

Cecilia: Thanks for the support and fingers crossed for you and yours :D. We used our credit from the Dream to book a gty so we'll be at the mercy of NCL regarding room assignment. We've had good luck on previous cruises, so we're not too worried about location... we're typically extremely easy to please. :p

DrVal, Regarding the staff I mentioned... I know they will be on-board. Eby just returned from his vacation this past week and Lusiana had just gotton back when we were on the Star for the July 31 cruise. Oh, and I forgot about Robert in LeBistro. He's great too.

Cecilia is correct about the theater. I found it to be chilly, actually very, very chilly.

One other treat of the Star is the spa. Their relaxation rooms are wonderful as is the lap pool.

The STAR is a beautiful ship! We had a wonderful time on the Mexican Riviera cruise last March. The ship is much larger and newer than the Dream and the Dream's problem's are indeed ship specific. I was also on the Dream a few weeks ago and still enjoyed it. My philosophy is much like yours: a bad day at sea is better than a good day at work.

Dr Val, I don't know of your past problems but here is what we have found after multiple cruises on multiple lines. You CAN'T and SHOULDN'T compare one ship or line to another. Each ship has its own crew/staff,size and shape that will influence your cruising experience. The extent of a ship's program can only be carried out within the abilities of the above. We were on the Wind before and after she was stretched finding maneuverability changes some we liked and some we didn't. We missed the outside sports bar and while that was a downer other things were a plus. On any cruise, go expecting nothing except a relaxing vacation.

We love the Star! We booked balcony guarantees both times and both times were in very nice rooms. The ship is beautiful, easy to get around and we enjoyed all of our meals! Have a great time and I hope this trip is better than your last one.

Start your holiday with a completely open mind, remove all preconceptions, ensure that you do not compare what happened on another line/ship/past experiences and just relax and take each day as it comes, you have alot more chance of actually enjoying yourself that way :)

Don't spend the entire time nit-picking cos life and the scenery will pass you by.

DrVal,

So when are you sailing? We'll be on the Star 1/4/06. This will be our first time on NCL but the Freestyle concept REALLY appeals to us, so we're already thinking about booking again. I have a friend that was on the Star in Hawaii and M.R. and her and her family can't say enough great things about it. I'm not going into it with TOO many expectations, but I am excited. This will be a completely different kind of venue for us anyhow because we're bringing our 4 children(8,8,10,&13) and we want them to experience a lot of fun things. I'm sure they'll be in Kids Crew the entire time. They're SOOOOO excited about it. Dh and I will have to sneak in our private time so they WILL be in organized activities. LOL

Can't wait!

When I first saw this post my original thought was to post:

Quick somebody warn the crew :D

After thinking about it , funny but not necessary. I hope you enjoy the Star. As you may notice it does not show up on the boards much. It is quietly making passengers very happy each week. Not many complaints.

A great loyal crew with a very loyal following of passengers.

I hope this cruise is bump free

DrVal,

So when are you sailing? We'll be on the Star 1/4/06. This will be our first time on NCL but the Freestyle concept REALLY appeals to us, so we're already thinking about booking again. I have a friend that was on the Star in Hawaii and M.R. and her and her family can't say enough great things about it. I'm not going into it with TOO many expectations, but I am excited. This will be a completely different kind of venue for us anyhow because we're bringing our 4 children(8,8,10,&13) and we want them to experience a lot of fun things. I'm sure they'll be in Kids Crew the entire time. They're SOOOOO excited about it. Dh and I will have to sneak in our private time so they WILL be in organized activities. LOL

Can't wait!

We took the Star twice in 2003, doing the Hawaiian Islands/Fanning run. Had a great time. Yes this is a well-run ship. Was it perfect? Of course not, but the glitches were few, and we did not let them spoil a wonderful trip.

Our Star web pages are at:

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/star_trip/

http://www219.pair.com/swansonr/star_1203/

Given that the Star is now visiting Alaska in the summer, we might just jump onboard one of these days. We loved our visit to Alaska and love the Star, so we get a twofer.

Have a great cruise!

• 1 month later...

Now what?!? :eek:

We've been off the boards for a while, and just came back to find out our cruise on the Star was cancelled due to drydock. Though we have a confirmed reservation booked with NCL direct, no one from NCL ever contacted us, and because it's a weekend, there is no one to help us figure out what to do now.

This is our second try on NCL and our second huge disaster. Is now an appropriate time to get a partial refund of our Dream fare as opposed to a credit?!? We were extremely reasonable when dealing with NCL after we heard from Colin, but even the NCL loyalists must admit, this is getting ridiculous. Should we contact Colin again? We've already scheduled our vacation time and have little wiggle room.

We'd love to hear from all of you!!! :confused:

Dr. Val, you just cannot seem to get a break! What unbelievable circumstances! :eek: Which date were you supposed to sail?

The azipod problem seems to be the same which plagued the Dawn last year, and the only solution is to place the ship into drydock. I understand that there are a number of sailings which have been cancelled, and apparently your sailing is one of them. I'm so sorry to hear that.

I would call them first thing Monday morning and see what alternatives there might be! Please don't give up hope yet! :o I was so excited when I read that you were giving NCL another chance, and I really hope that this is able to come to a good resolution for you! Please keep us informed! :)

Now what?!? :eek:

We've been off the boards for a while, and just came back to find out our cruise on the Star was cancelled due to drydock. Though we have a confirmed reservation booked with NCL direct, no one from NCL ever contacted us, and because it's a weekend, there is no one to help us figure out what to do now.

This is our second try on NCL and our second huge disaster. Is now an appropriate time to get a partial refund of our Dream fare as opposed to a credit?!? We were extremely reasonable when dealing with NCL after we heard from Colin, but even the NCL loyalists must admit, this is getting ridiculous. Should we contact Colin again? We've already scheduled our vacation time and have little wiggle room.

We'd love to hear from all of you!!! :confused:

It sounds like if you didn't have bad luck you would have no luck at all. What do you think the chances of this happening are? I am sure most of us have absolutely no idea where you should go from here. Asking for a partial refund might work, but don't count on it. Why not just find another ship sailing the same week? How about the Jewel or Sun, both are awesome ships. I certainly have no other ideas for you. Maybe someone else will, but again and yes I am an NCL loyalist, this is still just the luck of the draw and remember, you are the only one who is disappointed about the dry dock. What else can anyone say at this stage? NMNita

Archived