5 things you would/wouldn't bring

Tas55

My reminders ... YMMV

Things to bring:

* Power cords/chargers for everything you are bringing (phone, laptop, tablet, camera, etc.). I know many travel without electronics, but I invariably forget a charger for one.

* Sun screen. Also Tums :) In addition to all the other medical bring-alongs mentioned. Very expensive to replace on board.

* Ditto on extra reading glasses, if you need them.

* I bring a couple of light weight pashminas in various colors. Temperatures can vary quite a bit between day/night, indoors/outdoors, so having something inobtrusive that I can throw over my shoulders can come in handy (and I'm rarely cold!).

Thing to leave at home:

* Any clothes that aren't comfortable. You won't wear them.

* I've never found a need for my own hair dryer. Apparently others do.

* And yes, about half of the clothes/shoes I think I might want with me. The trick is picking the right half...

Emergency antibiotics if you take are susceptible to bronchitis or sinus infections, etc. Strong cough medicine for the same - I take my codeine stuff. Obviously all the other pharmaceuticals are a must. Whatever I *might* need I bring.

What you don't need is a separate outfit every dinner. I wear the same black slacks/black skirt with most outfits, change the tops, jackets. I also bring only maybe 2 pair evening shoes. First cruise I took so much stuff.

I bring NO equipment to hang things on the wall (I hate that clutter look), no storage bins or containers or hanging shoe bags. If you need all that you're bringing too much IMO.

Small bills for random tips.

Pens and paper.

We bring a small flashlight for each nightstand.

I have started bringing my own hairdryer. We always bring our own shampoo and hair products, and I bring a regular size bar of Dial for the husband and body wash for me. I don't like theirs, even the Bulgari.

I bring an extra RFID sleeve for the sea pass card so if I'm out and about with my cell phone and card I don't erase the magnetic strip.

We bring no extra hangers - we get any extras from the cabin steward. I do bring some big plastic clips that I can use to clip my wet swim suit or things I've hand-washed with their gel/body wash. I clip those on a hanger in the closet or on the back of the balcony chair while in port.

I thought of one more. I keep a piece of that rubberized drawer liner (cut from a roll) and put that in the desk drawer. That's were I put on my makeup. Keeps the eye shadows, lipsticks, etc. etc. etc. from rolling around.

Oh I also bring my 10X mirror. It's not too big but for me it's a necessity.

5 things I brought along once that turned out to be unnecessary, so did not bring again:

1-over the door shoe bag type organizer

2- hair dryer (The one provided on the ship is fine)

3- alarm clock

4- packing cubes

5- mother-in-law

Like ClaudiaB, we also keep a small flashlight on each nightstand, the same as we do at home.

Makes it easy to find things in the dark without needing to turn on lights and wake up the other person.

Prefer it to a night light because you aim the light beam exactly where you need it, and then turn it off to leave the room dark for sleeping.

Bring:

sunglasses

for those that wear glasses, bring an extra pair..even old ones are better than not having any if something happens to your regular ones.

medications: I have some medications I take daily. I carry a complete second set of backup pills packed in a suitcase. The first set stays with me (carry-on or bag)

don't assume you can get your brand of over the counter drugs anywhere in the world....I take my own antihistamine, decongestant, upset stomach, cough medicines. Bed, Bath and Beyond is your friend here...largest selection of carry on sized drug store stuff I've found.

I take a z-pack and tamiflu on trips to "more exotic" places...I don't self diagnose, but if the doctor prescribes an antibiotic, I can check the internet and use the z-pack if the one prescribed is "strange" (yes, it happens, in fact the standard treatment in some countries is actually unsafe per the FDA). Ditto on tamiflu. (note: Luckily, I've never had to use either, but it makes me feel safer.

An extra battery for your camera in case the first one dies or you forget to recharge it.

a non-descript day pack of some sort for excursions. It could be a large handbag, but you probably want something to carry water, camera, etc as you walk around at ports. Ditto for a camera case....you really don't want that case that says NIKON on it.

Don't Take:

Valuable or uninsured Jewelry....I know you love that 3 carat engagement ring but leave it home...buy a nice, non flashy ring for travel...applies to all jewelry.

walkie talkies/2 way radios...annoying to others on the ship, dangerous if you happen to be anywhere near the wrong place walking around foreign countries.

Edited by ghstudio

I use my Kindle Paperwhite as a nightlight if I have to get up in the middle of the night. Reading in bed is usually the last thing I do at night so it's right there on the nightstand if I get up. Just open it up and it provides the perfect amount of light to get around.

Hi Tas55,

Thanks so much for this post - I've picked up several great packing tips.

We take a few LED tea lights from the dollar store and set them on the desk, etc. at night create a "path" to the bathroom. Then I usually put 2-3 tea lights on the vanity counter. The mirror reflects the light and creates enough illumination that I don't have to turn on the bathroom light.

I'm an organizational overachiever so have a lot of lists when we travel. I take clear vinyl sleeves (like you put in a 3 ring binder) to hold papers that I will be carrying on excursions, etc. Keeps things together and protected.

I also take letter sized envelopes to hold receipts - makes it easier to double-check our shipboard charges the last night and really helpful when the VISA bill arrives. And before leaving home I make up an envelope for each excursion we will be taking with excursion contact info, cost per person if an independent excursion, etc. I add the small bills needed for tipping the driver, tour guide, etc. then just grab the appropriate envelope as we leave for the excursion. I write everything in pencil and reuse on the next trip.

Have a wonderful cruise on the Equinox - she is a beautiful ship. Hope you enjoy the Hot Glass shows as much as we did.

The best packing we have done in recent years is on the iPad! Do you remember when we all used to pack three books, two travel guides, a couple of maps?

Totally agree with packing the throwaway macs! Definately a cruise must! It would upset the weather if we didn't!

Always take a pack of cards with us which we never use....

Also pack little things in small plastic boxes for drawers.

Also use iPad for night light and alarm.

Have got rid of all shoes and clothes that are not comfortable but I did love those cream heels that hurt back, knee and ankle....

Always take a light cardie and bring it back clean....

We almost always buy photos so I usually carry 2 pieces of cardboard to sandwich them for the trip home

Insect repellent

A lanyard I get a hole punched in my sea pass at a bar or guest services so I can hang it around my neck when I want to.

2 magnetic hooks for hats

Love the idea of an RFID sleeve for the sea pass card. Apparently my Kindle & iPad are both fond of zapping the card. This will save me several trips to Guest Relations for card revival.

Try on clothes just before they are packed. Otherwise might be surprised by something that's too big, too small, or just barely fits (too risky).

- Mesh laundry bag for dirty clothes

- Zip bags, all sizes including 2 gal (perfect for a bottle of wine)

- Willingness to take glitches in stride. There's no such thing as a perfect cruise.

Your attitude can make it perfect. :cool:

Just one more thing to add to this great list!

We bring lanyards AND a hole punch. We punch our own sea pass cards, hook onto the lanyard and loop it around a belt loop, stuff it into a pocket. I’m not one to wear it hanging on my chest, and don’t want to repeat losing it--so a pocket/lanyard is my compromise.

Also, if you want to wash out undies, the ship shampoo works fine. We pack very light, and use the ship laundry service. Also, load up your iPad with books and games--beats carting all those books onboard.

Leave at home:

Any credit cards, loyalty cards, etc. that you won't need on cruise

All that "stuff" in your purse that you feel like you have to have but never use

Take:

The credit card you want to use for your ship account

If you plan to use your credit card at any of the ports, do remember to call you credit card company and let them know you will be using your card while out of the country.

Bring::

In addition to those made by others...

1. Adapter converter (love my Belkin) for outlets.

2. Extra camera battery.

3. Fresh wave deodorizer for the bathroom. I leave one and a refill for the next guest.

4. 3M removable hooks and sticky dots for holiday decorations.

5. Nice notecards and envelopes to write a note to a favorite butler, waiter, attendant.

Bring::

In addition to those made by others...

1. Adapter converter (love my Belkin) for outlets.

2. Extra camera battery.

3. Fresh wave deodorizer for the bathroom. I leave one and a refill for the next guest.

4. 3M removable hooks and sticky dots for holiday decorations.

5. Nice notecards and envelopes to write a note to a favorite butler, waiter, attendant.

That's very thoughtful but if the attendant sees it he/she will remove it.