Tracy Arm excursion early summer

auntjoy036

I'll be on the HAL Volendam Alaska inside passage round trip itinerary early this summer. HAL offers an additional small boat excursion into Tracy Arm. I think the seals have their pups in late May/early June. Are the small boats allowed to go near where the seals are or is Tracy Arm largely closed to all marine traffic during this time? Also I know if I want guaranteed whale sightings I should take a whale watching tour out of Juneau. I am curious, though, whether those of you who took a Tracy Arm excursion saw whales.

I am trying to decide on the Tracy Arm excursion versus a tour out of Juneau. My priorities are wildlife and beautiful scenery.

Thanks.

Vicki

The harbor seal sanctuary is in Glacier Bay, John Hopkins Inlet. Tracy Arm is fully accessible without those limits. Of course vendors have their limits with wildlife. Do you have one of the itineraries- that has Tracy Arm as a service stop? If so, frankly, I find it "necessary" to book the add on. The add on tour- sometimes does see humpbacks, and they usually are back in Juneau in time for a whale watch booking. Certainly needs verification however.

The "guarantee" means nothing. There hasn't been payouts , sightings are 100%, eg. with a loop around Shelter Island in Auke bay. :)

Hi Budget Queen. Our itinerary is

Wednesday 5 pm depart Vancouver

Thursday Inside Passage

Friday 10:00-10:30 Tracy Arm Inlet

Friday pm to 10 pm Juneau

Saturday 7 am to 9 pm Skagway

Sunday Glacier Bay 7 am to 4 pm

Monday Ketchikan 10 am to 6 pm

Tuesday Inside Passage

Wednesday arrive Vancouver 7 am

I am choosing between the Tracy Arm excursion and whale watching in Juneau.

In Skagway I plan to take a Dyea Dave tour to Summit Lake.

I haven't decided about Ketchikan. I'm trying to figure the best way for Mom, who has walking limitations, to see Creek Street.

Will seal pupping time in Glacier Bay modify or eliminate the Glacier Bay sailing?

Thanks.

Vicki

Hi Budget Queen. Our itinerary is

Wednesday 5 pm depart Vancouver

Thursday Inside Passage

Friday 10:00-10:30 Tracy Arm Inlet

Friday pm to 10 pm Juneau

Saturday 7 am to 9 pm Skagway

Sunday Glacier Bay 7 am to 4 pm

Monday Ketchikan 10 am to 6 pm

Tuesday Inside Passage

Wednesday arrive Vancouver 7 am

I am choosing between the Tracy Arm excursion and whale watching in Juneau.

In Skagway I plan to take a Dyea Dave tour to Summit Lake.

I haven't decided about Ketchikan. I'm trying to figure the best way for Mom, who has walking limitations, to see Creek Street.

Will seal pupping time in Glacier Bay modify or eliminate the Glacier Bay sailing?

Thanks.

Vicki

http://www.nps.gov/glba/index.htm should be a park map you can look at.

The cruise sails down the Tar Inlet and you will have viewing of 4 glaciers. The harbor seal sanctuary is the John Hopkins Inlet which will open Sept 1.

I'll be on the HAL Volendam Alaska inside passage round trip itinerary early this summer. HAL offers an additional small boat excursion into Tracy Arm. I think the seals have their pups in late May/early June. Are the small boats allowed to go near where the seals are or is Tracy Arm largely closed to all marine traffic during this time? Also I know if I want guaranteed whale sightings I should take a whale watching tour out of Juneau. I am curious, though, whether those of you who took a Tracy Arm excursion saw whales.

I am trying to decide on the Tracy Arm excursion versus a tour out of Juneau. My priorities are wildlife and beautiful scenery.

Thanks.

Vicki

This Tracy Arm excursion was my FAVORITE! (We saw a whale on the way back, but the captain said that it had just dived, so he did not stop to see if there would be any repeat sightings.

Sawyer Glacier (Tracy Arm) was the only one that calved while we were there - the ones is Glacier Bay were very quiet. :D

We did not see any whales between Juneau and the entrance to Tracy Arm.

You will lose some time in Juneau - but all in all TA is worth it.

Thanks.

Vicki

If the small boat can navigate to the end of the arms (i.e. there isn't too much ice), you should be able to see seals/pups.

7158387669_dd14105049.jpg

Harbor Seal and Baby by ikirumata, on Flickr

Also, make sure you scan the tops of the fjord walls too. There might be some goats as well.

14143298162_76e493fe9c.jpg

Tracy Arm Mountain Goat by ikirumata, on Flickr

Even though Tracy Arm is about the fjord and glaciers, there is wildlife to be seen there! You might even get to see a bear!

7158269411_42611db3ac.jpg

Bear at Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

Have fun!

Edited by ikirumata

If the small boat can navigate to the end of the arms (i.e. there isn't too much ice), you should be able to see seals/pups.

7158387669_dd14105049.jpg

Harbor Seal and Baby by ikirumata, on Flickr

Also, make sure you scan the tops of the fjord walls too. There might be some goats as well.

14143298162_76e493fe9c.jpg

Tracy Arm Mountain Goat by ikirumata, on Flickr

Even though Tracy Arm is about the fjord and glaciers, there is wildlife to be seen there! You might even get to see a bear!

7158269411_42611db3ac.jpg

Bear at Tracy Arm Fjord by ikirumata, on Flickr

Have fun!

You seriously got lucky!

We only saw a whale on the way back to Juneau (& the golf balls in the tops of the trees). But I too the excursion to see the Sawyer Glaciers & was extremely satisfied!

You seriously got lucky!

We only saw a whale on the way back to Juneau (& the golf balls in the tops of the trees). But I too the excursion to see the Sawyer Glaciers & was extremely satisfied!

Yes, we did get lucky that day! We saw tons of seals/pups, 2 bears, tons of eagles (one up close sitting on an iceberg), mountain goats, and a whale.

7157587209_08aca45eee.jpg

Eagle on Iceberg by ikirumata, on Flickr

Tracy Arm was my favorite place we visited that trip! I can't wait to go back!

Yes, incredible photos! Thank you so much.

We will also be cruising at the end of May.

Can I ask a question about tours and the seal pups?

Will we have as much opportunity to see seal pups if we take a tour of Prince William Sound. (Major Marine or Phillips)

Some of those photos make me want to give up our port time at Juneau and tour Tracy Arm from Juneau. Since we plan on a tour of PWS from Whittier, I was deciding that, if we did that, we would forego any other major tour.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Yes, incredible photos! Thank you so much.

We will also be cruising at the end of May.

Can I ask a question about tours and the seal pups?

Will we have as much opportunity to see seal pups if we take a tour of Prince William Sound. (Major Marine or Phillips)

Some of those photos make me want to give up our port time at Juneau and tour Tracy Arm from Juneau. Since we plan on a tour of PWS from Whittier, I was deciding that, if we did that, we would forego any other major tour.

I've seen seal pups in Blackstone Bay, not every trip, however. Surprise Glacier has good chances of sea otter rafts (which give a far longer view), when passing through the moraine.