Accommodation in & around Singapore

After our Queen Mary 2 cruise, we got 10 days in Singapore before our Sun Princess Cruise.

We know its expense to stay in Singapore, especially for that long.

We are looking at place to stay in Singapore and around Singapore and outland areas / islands.

We are also looking at maybe staying in Langkawi, Malaysia.

Has anyone stayed in/around Singapore or in Langkawi?, if so can anyone recommend anywhere to stay for 7 - 8 days?

Langkawi is gorgeous. We stayed at the Danna Langkawi which is northwest of the airport, fairly close to the Oriental Village and Gondola - we walked there but it was a longish walk from the hotel. It's a lovely hotel with one of the best swimming pools I've ever seen. It's also next to a marina which had some restaurants, in case you get tired of the hotel cuisine. There was also a small supermarket attached to a petrol station within walking distance. One day we did a Mangrove Cruise excursion which was very interesting.

Other options would be Sentosa Island in Singapore, probably nicer than staying in the city.

We stay at the Carlton Singapore City (not the Rex) on Bras Basah right behind the Singapore Raffles. Reasonable prices and very handy to buses and trains as well as shopping complexes. Easy Walking distance to waterfront.

They have medium size rooms. Many Singapore hotels have tiny rooms of 28sqm or less. The Club rooms are very nice and entitles you to free brekky and free cocktails etc in the evening.

Many people on cc also swear by the Royal Plaza on Scots Rd at the top of Orchard Rd.

Love, love, love Singapore! We did our first cruise from Singapore 2 years ago.

My recommendations for accommodation are:

Swissotel Merchant Court (right on Clarke Quay, and the Clarke Quay MRT station is on the corner), walking distance to China Town

Hotel Jen (above the Orchard Gateway shopping centre, between Orchard Rd and Somerset Rd, right on top of the Somerset MRT station), walking distance to Orchard Road

We also stayed at the Marina Bay Sands the first time, just so we could try the infinity pool, it was lovely but very pricey in comparison. Right across the road from Gardens by the Bay, and also well located on top of an MRT station.

After our Queen Mary 2 cruise, we got 10 days in Singapore before our Sun Princess Cruise.

We know its expense to stay in Singapore, especially for that long.

We are looking at place to stay in Singapore and around Singapore and outland areas / islands.

We are also looking at maybe staying in Langkawi, Malaysia.

Has anyone stayed in/around Singapore or in Langkawi?, if so can anyone recommend anywhere to stay for 7 - 8 days?

We are in Singapore at the moment, en route to Sydney from UK, we take a RCC cruise from Sydney 25/2. Its really worth splashing out on 1 night at the Marina Bay Sands, just for the experience. Its wow! Huge but wow!

We spent the previous 3 nights at a boutiquey small hotel(26rooms) at Sentosa Cove Marina. ONE15 Marina. Lovely room with view over all the boats, lots of restaurants nearby, even a supermarket. Not as expensive as many other large group style hotels, but perhaps still too much for more than a few days.

We are in Singapore at the moment, en route to Sydney from UK, we take a RCC cruise from Sydney 25/2. Its really worth splashing out on 1 night at the Marina Bay Sands, just for the experience. Its wow! Huge but wow!

We spent the previous 3 nights at a boutiquey small hotel(26rooms) at Sentosa Cove Marina. ONE15 Marina. Lovely room with view over all the boats, lots of restaurants nearby, even a supermarket. Not as expensive as many other large group style hotels, but perhaps still too much for more than a few days.

Fantastic to hear! We have booked three nights before our Emerald Princess cruise in October! As we arrive late from Australia our first night will be in a budget hotel followed by two nights at Marina Bay Sands! Can't wait :)

Singapore is very expensive, we stayed there in May, we stayed at the Park Hotel, great location. We spent $300 a day doing just very normal things. The only cheap thing there is Taxis. If you like a beer get ready for a shock. That will be our last time there, just too expensive. We have been 6 times before so enough.

Singapore is very expensive, we stayed there in May, we stayed at the Park Hotel, great location. We spent $300 a day doing just very normal things. The only cheap thing there is Taxis. If you like a beer get ready for a shock. That will be our last time there, just too expensive. We have been 6 times before so enough.

Prices in Singapore have really increased over the past 4-5 years - I was there in September 2013 and couldn't believe how expensive things had got since my previous trip three or so years earlier. Even the locals are complaining. The only time I'll be visiting Singapore again is when a cruise stops there for the day.

However it is still quite cheap to travel on the MRT so whatever hotel you choose, make sure it's close to an MRT station.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it depends what you do. I had been warned Singapore was very expensive, but it really wasn't for us. The MRT is very cheap and efficient, we also found taxis cheap too, certainly compared to Melbourne. Even buying a bottle of water on the go, here it would be $3.50, there it was $1.20.

But the best tip I have is for food. Hawker Centers, and they are everywhere. Not only is it the best and most authentic food you will find in Singapore, but it's also the cheapest. We averaged around $12 a meal - that's for the two of us, and some of the best food I've ever eaten in my life.

We found plenty of site seeing that was free, wandering around Little India, Arab Street, Haji Lane, visiting the Mosque, watching the Marina Bay Sands light show. The shopping was excellent (much better than Hong Kong which seemed mostly high end!).

We stayed at Naumi Liora in Chinatown, got a very reasonable rate for a nice modern room - albeit without a window! Hey it's just like a cruise ship inside cabin ;)

I'm not a drinker, so I can't comment on alcohol prices. But overall, we had a great time, ate awesome food, saw many cool things, and didn't spend much at all. I'd go back in a heartbeat, I really loved Singapore.