Travelling with 16 year old grandson - consent from parents?

You will need a notarized letter signed by one of the parents giving you permission to board the ship with him, take him on shore excursions, play in sports activities or youth activities, and authorize medical treatment.

Take a second copy of that letter with you as we had to leave a copy with the sports desk when we signed the boys up for the flow rider.

Port officials do not look at anything except sea pass cards in my experience.

Edited by blonde375

yes, you definitely need the second letter. i took my 10 year old grandaughter on the independence of the seas 12/19-12/24 and needed it for the sports deck so that she could do the rock climbing.

We were on the same sailing!

Not something you want the wrong answer about - I'd contact RCCL directly rather than asking here.

Actually, just went through the process on 12/19/15 on the Indy. So that is where my answers are coming from per RCCL's instructions to me prior to our sailing.

Very easy....birth certificate (child under 18 and sailing to/from US port), driver's license or student ID, and notarized letter (2 copies).

i have done this twice. the first time was baltic cruise brilliance of the seas june 2014 leaving from non- US port.with my 14 yr old grandson. the second time on the indy leaving from US port with my grandaughter. both times the letters and birth certificates were needed.

I know that I need a letter from my grandson's parents giving me permission to take him out of Canada but does anyone know whether I'll need any special papers for him to leave the ship in Jamaica?

We have never had to provide any documents, other than their Sea Pass, when taking the grandkids off or getting back on the ship while in port.

Check in yes, activities yes, kids club yes. As mentioned take a couple copies. We now take 3. Once had the check in person keep a copy.

Edited by looking4info

Not something you want the wrong answer about - I'd contact RCCL directly rather than asking here.
The consensus answer here on CruiseCritic (where a wrong answer will be quickly corrected:rolleyes:) is FAR more likely to be correct than a call to RCI. It is not unusual to call 3 times and get 3 different answers.

FWIW I am agreeing with the consensus already given in this thread.

The consensus answer here on CruiseCritic (where a wrong answer will be quickly corrected:rolleyes:) is FAR more likely to be correct than a call to RCI. It is not unusual to call 3 times and get 3 different answers.

This is so sad, but so true:eek:

We've carried my Grandson and a friend of his on several cruises. We always have their passport and a notarized letter from the parents, allowing us to have them on the cruise, make medical decisions, etc. We got the letter here on cruise critic, so I'm sure some still has it/uses it. My Grandson finally reached that age where we don't need the letter. We've been asked more than once over the years for a copy of the letter.