Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

[YOUTUBE]Z4JKyNv7wsw[/YOUTUBE]

This video states that its pretty much a workers strike and the use of the $10 passenger head tax collected by the cruise line, among other things. Apparently part of the agreement for the Labadee lease is that this tax would go into helping the village, and that hasn't yet happened after all these years.

The video link leads me only to a clip showing the protest boats in the water. There are a few comments in the thread - some of which are pretty insulting (written in Creole) to the protesters.

Did you link the wrong video? I don't see any of that narrative you indicate. But, even if it does - how accurate is this information? Anyone can post a youtube video, and say whatever they feel like. I've a keen interest in Haiti, so am sticking close to this one - but even the Haitian news sites don't say anything specific on the reason for the protests other than those relating to the elections.

Edit: Are you aware that Royal built a school just up the hill?

Edited by Toddcan

The video link leads me only to a clip showing the protest boats in the water. There are a few comments in the thread - some of which are pretty insulting (written in Creole) to the protesters.

Did you link the wrong video? I don't see any of that narrative you indicate. But, even if it does - how accurate is this information? Anyone can post a youtube video, and say whatever they feel like. I've a keen interest in Haiti, so am sticking close to this one - but even the Haitian news sites don't say anything specific on the reason for the protests other than those relating to the elections.

Edit: Are you aware that Royal built a school just up the hill?

There's also a thread on Facebook about it, but I don't have access to those links from my work computer (which I am currently on)

There's also a thread on Facebook about it, but I don't have access to those links from my work computer (which I am currently on)

I've been around the block long enough to know that Facebook and Youtube are not reliable news sources. However, where there is smoke, there may be fire. I'm keeping a close watch on this one.

My feelings as well. Hope you have a nice stay. Keep us posted. And have an awesome time on your future cruise.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I always thought that with every trip to Labadee, they bring a shipload of foods, etc. for the people there. That's almost every week. How come this nice thing RCI does is never mentioned, only the negatives.

Just my thoughts.

Hope this issue is resolved in short order.

28_cm_gun_at_Oscarsborg_Fortress.jpg

I hear to prevent future attacks from the sea, Royal Caribbean is currently installing coastal artillery to the hills surrounding Labadee. This will allow the machine-gun-toting fence guards to continue to focus on land based attacks while adding the ability to fend off boats coming in from the ocean. We should all be safer from now on.

On peaceful days you'll be able to pay $100 to fire a shell into the ocean. Just don't forget to bring extra money to tip the guy who loads the shell for you.

Wished there was a like button:D

Hope this is all sorted out before 2nd Feb, 2016 when we arrive

:rolleyes:

Me too!!! This is our favorite stop... just talked with concierge and told me the price of the cabana went up in December and is now $449, I about fell out of my chair.

Very interesting.. can you please provide the source of your information?

Might be true, might be disinformation. I assume these protesters had signs, Hopefully we will see pictures soon when Freedom gets back Sunday. Someone posted on the Miami Herald's facebook page claiming to be Lute Meme from the town of Labadee. He claims to be a former employee at the beach.

Here is an Idea for CoCo Cay

19036336425_57b7898eb5_c.jpg

18848663078_52a8afa4c9_c.jpg

The 3 times I have been to Coco Cay, all on Majesty they moor close to 1/2 mile or more from the shore. Not sure how practical this would be for a hurricane/rough seas prone area.

I've been around the block long enough to know that Facebook and Youtube are not reliable news sources. However, where there is smoke, there may be fire. I'm keeping a close watch on this one.

Navigator is due there tomorrow I believe, should be interesting. I see OTW cabanas hitting $750! :)

This is a very common scenario - but I've only seen it in the market area in the hills. I speak Haitian Creole (I lived there for 18 months way back when), so I try to talk to as many workers as I can. The market sellers (mostly) all work for someone else who owns all of the trinkets, carvings, etc. They have to PAY Royal Caribbean a daily fee to rent the booth when ships are in town. They normally bring their own lunch from home (like you would on your job). But, if they can get a free lunch from someone - that's one less expense for them.

Believe me, Haitians are FAR worse off than you or I, but most of them, especially in the north, are relatively happy people who have a very humble existence, but are not as destitute as you might think. Sure, many don't have running water in their homes (many of them being simply 10x10 huts ), but they find a way to make it work.

We are used to unrest and protest every election. Usually when the President is elected and gets in power on the 7 of Feb it all calms down. The fact that we are talking about it proves that they did have their voices heard. Knowing the people of the North they would not of hurt the tourists... This is unfortunate for all the Haitian workers who did not get tips and a days pay of work.... Most of the workers are temps from what I heard ( no confirmation).

Might be true, might be disinformation. I assume these protesters had signs, Hopefully we will see pictures soon when Freedom gets back Sunday. Someone posted on the Miami Herald's facebook page claiming to be Lute Meme from the town of Labadee. He claims to be a former employee at the beach.

At least they didn't say they were OJ Simpson and they were calling from the Bronco.;)

"If" they were a former employee, I wonder why they are no longer.:confused:

Hope you have an awesome cruise, get some extra sun for me. Too cold in CLE right now!! Hope you're doing well, OB.

Hi! And thanks for the good wishes. It has been really cold the past few days here, too. I just need for this weekend snow storm to hold off until I get out of here. I'm looking forward to getting back out to sea and finding the peace that always comes back to me down in the Caribbean.

Stay warm!

At least they didn't say they were OJ Simpson and they were calling from the Bronco.;)

"If" they were a former employee, I wonder why they are no longer.:confused:

Because he has been promoted to one of the VPs of Azamara.

Reading up on it some more, and these protests were NOT about the election, but in regards to failed promises Royal Caribbean made to the village in Labadee when they purchased the land, which they have still not made good on.

Am on Freedom and was at Labadee yesterday. This explanation is viable. Protest signage I saw being waved from one of the boats and directly towards the Freedom read, "Continue the PUSH for development" both in English and Creole. The word "push" was capitalized.

Miami Herald | MiamiHerald.com

BUSINESS

JANUARY 19, 2016 7:10 PM

Royal Caribbean ship cancels Haiti visit amid protests

Royal Caribbean’s 3,634-passenger Freedom of the Seas canceled its scheduled visit Tuesday at the Haitian port of Labadee after the ship encountered a number of locals in small boats staging a protest, according to a company release.

“Although this protest was peaceful in nature, it was clear that if the protest continued, there would be a significant impact on our guests’ ability to enjoy Labadee,” the release stated. “We will continue to closely monitor the situation and are in close communication with local and government officials in Haiti. At this time, we have not made any decisions regarding future port calls to Labadee.”

Haitians have protested widely amid concern over the validity of fall 2015 presidential and legislative elections. Runoff elections are slated for Sunday.

The line’s next scheduled port call is Thursday, when the 3,276-passenger Navigator of the Seas is slated to visit the beach resort on Haiti’s northern coast.

Royal Caribbean leased the peninsula in 1986 and spent several million dollars there to develop a day port for cruise passengers with open-air dining areas, refreshments and marketplace selling locally made crafts. The company suspended visits in 1991 amid government instability and resumed in early 1995.

Jane Wooldridge

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article55509290.html#storylink=cpy

Am on Freedom and was at Labadee yesterday. This explanation is viable. Protest signage I saw being waved from one of the boats and directly towards the Freedom read, "Continue the PUSH for development" both in English and Creole. The word "push" was capitalized.
What does "PUSH" mean in this context?

Where was the security? I'm amaze they could just come into the "private resort" without anyone stopping them.

What if guest was already on the island having some beach time and 20 or so boats suddenly appear out of nowhere? Isn't this a cause of concern?

RCL did the right thing by skipping the island.

Agreed. I am sure RCL has at least a few people on the ground and it would not surprise me; a few people in an inconspicuous boat off shore - closely monitoring the situation. All very trained and qualified to evaluate and make big decisions. Hence the choice for The Navigator to skip Labadee altogether Thursday. RCL (or any cruise line really) does not need the negative press if something bad occurrs; especially with passengers ashore.

We're scheduled there in March. We'll see what happens.

~Bob~