Freedom of the Seas - Labadee issues today

Anyone who was on the fence about purchasing trip insurance, might want to if sailing to Labadee. There are several cruise specific policies available that offer $750+ for itinerary changes. You might actually make money on the policy. Lol

First you have to get on the fence. You can't get on the fence until you get there. By then it would be too late to buy the policy.

I am confused with that whole insurance thing. I always purchase it before sailing, but this last time we had a port canceled due to that hurricane in September and we did not get anything back. It said $500 for trip interruption/missing a port etc. They denied it when I put in a claim, so I am confused. Apparently it only covers excursion costs that are non refundable.

Don't believe everything you read on this site. People will post what they believe, even if in fact they are clueless about the subject.

First you have to get on the fence. You can't get on the fence until you get there. By then it would be too late to buy the policy.

Metaphorically speaking of the Labadee security fence? For anyone inexperienced, of course it must be purchased prior to sailing.

Don't believe everything you read on this site. People will post what they believe, even if in fact they are clueless about the subject.

Were you implying I was clueless about the subject? If so, please take a look at this policy and say what I stated incorrectly.

https://travel.nationwide.com/plans-cruise-choice.html

Edited by jetexpress

Good thing about Labadee is that it has a permanent pier. Places like Cococay are nice, but get skipped way too often to be reliable. Personally I am 0 for 2 with Cococay. Any chances of a permanent port being built there or is that not a doable thing?

Wow we have been lucky to visit cococay 5 out of 5 times. Three times on freedom and twice on enchantment. This has been months of june, july or october.

Going to Labadee is two weeks. Was looking forward to some beach time. I hope they just do a sea day if it Labadee gets cancelled.

My wife and I sail in April on the Allure. I hope they get things resolved and we still stop there.

If they don't, I wonder if they might substitute another stop, say Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos?

I know Royal Caribbean was unable to use Labadee for several years back in the 2000's, what did they do then?

Correct. And also a contingent of Marines. But it didn't do us much good in Tehran back in '79 either!;)

The MSGs are a bit better equipped these days and there are a bit more of them. Tear gas grenades does wonders for crowd control.;)

I'm surprised no one mentioned the topic that always comes up with a diversion like - how much OBC should we get for missing the port? :cool:

I guess we left the honor for you:D

No in all seriousness, probably did not cross any ones mind......yet.

Safe travels.

Were you implying I was clueless about the subject? If so, please take a look at this policy and say what I stated incorrectly.

Well you were right about the benefit for itinerary change after the cruise started, but the benefit clearly says "itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a prepaid excursion". If RCL changes the itinerary and doesn't go to Labadee, your excursions WOULD be refunded because they are only RCL excursions. So the insurance would NOT pay out, because you wouldn't be out any cash.

So in this case, having that insurance would not really be a benefit for missing Labadee.

Well you were right about the benefit for itinerary change after the cruise started, but the benefit clearly says "itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a prepaid excursion". If RCL changes the itinerary and doesn't go to Labadee, your excursions WOULD be refunded because they are only RCL excursions. So the insurance would NOT pay out, because you wouldn't be out any cash.

So in this case, having that insurance would not really be a benefit for missing Labadee.

Itinerary change is $750 prior to cruise departing.

Missing a port while on the cruise is $200. Fire, mechanical, other covered reasons impacting cruise experience in the full policy detail include itinerary changes after departure or any departure/arrival delays for any port of call of 3+ hours.

Non-Refundable Excursion reimbursement is up to $500

Although they are listed in the same 'category' section, they are three different things.

Edited by jetexpress

Where was the security? I'm amaze they could just come into the "private resort" without anyone stopping them.

What if guest was already on the island having some beach time and 20 or so boats suddenly appear out of nowhere? Isn't this a cause of concern?

RCL did the right thing by skipping the island.

The protesters were on boats in the water. There is nothing any security can do to them once they were protesting peacefully which by all reports they were. By owning / leasing a piece of property does not give you any rights to the water off your property. Your rights end at the high tide mark.

please take a look at this policy and say what I stated incorrectly.

Yes this insurance covers missed ports and excursions but it is not as simple as one might think. I see that they will pay $750 if a port of call is changed "prior" to departure.

The problem with that is RC might not announced the change until you are on board the ship and sailed, even though they already know they aren't stopping there. This happened at Princess private Island under 10 years ago after it was hit by a hurricane. We knew before getting on the ship that our first stop was gong to be Costa Maya not Princess Cays thanks to CC members reporting it. Princess's printed material and on-line information said our first stop was Princess Cays. Most of the people didn't find out until they were onboard and the captain announced it.

RC will give it a college try to port at Labadee, as to change a ship's itinerary and arrange another port of call based upon the chance that they might miss the port call is a lot of work. After this election ends either the riots will stop, or the Hatian side of the island might erupt with some sort of civil war. That is if the citizens finally have enough of their current and past leaderships. If that happens Labadee and its surroundings will become a thing of the past.

As for paid excursions portion of the insurance, since all excursions at Labadee are ship run, they are 100% refundable. Since the ship profits at this RC port you can be rest assured that they will make every attempt to stop here. They don't have to split any of the excursion's profit here with tour operators and they spent the money to build the infrastructure. Port fees are paid by the guests on the ship so the biggest costs to them is repair and maintenance followed by wages and depending on your position at Labadee this I am sure will very greatly from the big boss to the guy who sets up beach loungers.

Reading further into the policy there is a portion a portion called "Key Cancellation/Interruption covered Reasons" and it notes terrorism in a itinerary city. I saw a video posted from Labadee yesterday and it was a peaceful protest in which shore side and the captain determined it was smarter to move on for the day. The protests in Port au Prince can be described as a protest or maybe riot but by no means was it terrorism. The policy states terrorism at the itinerary port, so Cap Haitian and Labadee would have to be the centre of terrorist action.

Like I said if there is civil uprising after the election RC will removed Labadee from their itinerary, removed shoreside non-Haitian staff and do their best to remove any portable high value equipment such as boats, tractors trucks etc if possible. They have most likely been depreciated to the point that trying to "save them" would cost more than their actual worth, not to mention the risk involved.

With all that being said the insurance company can still decline a claim, even if it seems relevant.

Here is a link to the protest yesterday at Labadee and the video can be played in it. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10205806845785800&id=1096750846&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2Fplugins%2Fvideo.php&locale2=en_US&_rdr

Thanks! I can't wait to head there, so many people we work with have been! support Haitians 100%, it's sad to see the level of poverty in a country that is so close to home! Hopefully the protesting will settle down, they are desperately trying to market the island to tourists and this sort of activity is not helping their cause. However, if my family was starving and living in the same conditions that they are in I would probably do the same.

My feelings as well. Hope you have a nice stay. Keep us posted. And have an awesome time on your future cruise.

My wife and I sail in April on the Allure. I hope they get things resolved and we still stop there.

If they don't, I wonder if they might substitute another stop, say Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos?

Allure can't stop in Grand Cayman because it is (currently) a tendered port.

Turks and Caicos is a Carnival thing and I'm not sure a Royal Caribbean ship has ever stopped there.

I'm sure they could add Nassau if they wanted to, but you'd most likely just get an extra sea day.

If they don't, I wonder if they might substitute another stop, say Grand Cayman or Turks & Caicos? I know Royal Caribbean was unable to use Labadee for several years back in the 2000's, what did they do then?

You won't be going to Grand Cayman for sure. There is no pier and Allure doesn't tender passengers to shore.

Allure can't stop in Grand Cayman because it is (currently) a tendered port.

Turks and Caicos is a Carnival thing and I'm not sure a Royal Caribbean ship has ever stopped there.

I'm sure they could add Nassau if they wanted to, but you'd most likely just get an extra sea day.

They could also use Costa Maya,

The protesters were on boats in the water. There is nothing any security can do to them once they were protesting peacefully which by all reports they were. By owning / leasing a piece of property does not give you any rights to the water off your property. Your rights end at the high tide mark.

And if they did decide to come ashore just imagine the CF that would have ensued if the security guards started shooting.

Project Medishare is an awesome project. Yes closer to the elections the tension is rising and the streets have been chaotic, tires burning, truck being assaulted. But it is in some of the areas. Medishare people are loved by the population and are protected, they do a lot of good. Dr. Green who started Medishare is a great man. You will be safe. The hospital is very close to the airport.

So I guess cruise ship passengers are not so well loved or protected. All it takes is one person hell bent on killing someone so I don't see how you come on here and assure anyone that they will be safe. Neither you or anyone else can guarantee that. It doesn't matter how "well liked" any organization is.

Edited by Ocean Boy