Independence questions

Boarding IOS on Feb 13 for 5 nights for my sister's wedding in Cozumel. We have 40 people going with us.

1. We are planning on giving everyone dry erase boards so people can put what they are doing and others can join if they want. I just want to make sure that the doors on IOS are magnetic, so that the boards will stick.

2. Have almost everything figured out but how to get from the port to Fort Lauderdale airport. My family has 5 but there are 20 people from our group on the same flight home. What is the best way for us to get to the airport. Our flight leaves at 12:45 on delta.

3. For the wedding night it is really important that we have in room babysitters for my 2 sisters. I know that this can't be done early. My questions are will they let me book for my 2 sisters since I will be the first one on board? What are the chances we aren't going to get one? The cruise is almost sold out or is sold out. I read that the children have to be 1 year old. My youngest niece will not be 1 until last day of cruise. Do you think this will be a problem?

4. We all have my time dining. I went ahead and made reservations for 7pm for just my family but I think some nights I might want to eat with other members of the family. How long do you think we will be waiting for groups of around 10 if we don't do any reservations. Again the cruise is sold out or close to it. I would say we would be eating around 7 at night.

Thanks so much for your help.

Melinda

1. Yes, magnets will stick to the doors, but make sure they are good magnets. We bought little dollar store ones that weren't strong enough.

2. You could call ahead and make arrangements with a bus company. Even the taxi companies usually have a couple of vans available.

3. Don't think it should be a problem regarding age. Availability might be more of a question mark, but you should be able to book for them if you are there first. Generally RC doesn't care if it's you or someone else as long as someone is paying them.

4. Getting a group of 10 with no reservation might be a bit more challenging if you do my time. You could try and switch to MDR once on board if you want to be sure of getting a table for everyone. If you want to change times/numbers for MTD reservations, do it as soon as possible.

Just take taxis to the airport. They are plentiful. We did that Saturday and it was $15 with tip. Going to the port from the airport will be about five dollars more.

Be aware that our debarkation from Independence was terrible. Long and slow lines.

If your staying in a hotel in FLL the night before your cruise the hotels have companies that do the shuttle to the ship and for the trip to the airport after the cruise. We stay at the Holiday inn express and they have a great set up to get us to the cruise port and back to the airport afterward.

Just curious, where are you doing the wedding in Cozumel? My wife and I are trying to plan a vowel renewal for our 25th in 2018 and are always looking for ideas.

JoeRum

Congrats on your 25th wedding anniversary. She is getting married at Mr Sanchos in Cozumel. We are using the wedding planners for there. They had a good reputation on cruise critic wedding boards. So far they have been pretty responsive. A few small problems but nothing big as long as the wedding turns out beautifully. I will post a review when we get back.

The doors are not magnetic, but they are metal that magnets will stick to.

Sorry, Bob, gotta bust your chops here. I just did the same thing on another thread about cabin walls.

The definition of magnetic, according to Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of magnetic

: possessing an extraordinary power or ability to attract <a magnetic personality>

a : of or relating to a magnet or to magnetism

b : of, relating to, or characterized by the earth's magnetism

c : magnetized or capable of being magnetized

d : actuated by magnetic attraction

Since the doors are steel, they fall under definition #2c: "capable of being magnetized". :o

And the vinyl coating on the doors varies from ship to ship and line to line, as far as how strong a magnet you need. Generally, stronger is better.

Sorry, Bob, gotta bust your chops here. I just did the same thing on another thread about cabin walls.

The definition of magnetic, according to Merriam Webster:

Full Definition of magnetic

: possessing an extraordinary power or ability to attract <a magnetic personality>

a : of or relating to a magnet or to magnetism

b : of, relating to, or characterized by the earth's magnetism

c : magnetized or capable of being magnetized

d : actuated by magnetic attraction

Since the doors are steel, they fall under definition #2c: "capable of being magnetized". :o

And the vinyl coating on the doors varies from ship to ship and line to line, as far as how strong a magnet you need. Generally, stronger is better.

Learn something new every day.:)

Rather than buying magnets individually, a roll of craft-type magnetic tape is better. Used by crafters who make magnetic stuff. You can cut a piece as big as you need, peel off the paper back, stick to whatever you need, and you have a magnet as big/strong as you prefer. Just purchased a whole roll for around $5.

Personally, I think sending a "text" is an easier way to stay in touch on a ship. It is very time consuming to go to where you think you want to be....then have to go to your room to update your wipe off board. The last time we cruised, it was 50 cents to send a cruise and 5 cents to read one.

Enjoy! It sound like fun!

If your staying in a hotel in FLL the night before your cruise the hotels have companies that do the shuttle to the ship and for the trip to the airport after the cruise. We stay at the Holiday inn express and they have a great set up to get us to the cruise port and back to the airport afterward.

JoeRum

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express (the one on 17th Street) 1 night prior to our cruise. I think they only have an airport shuttle and not a shuttle to the cruise port. But will they still pick you up after the cruise and take you to the airport? THANKS!!!

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express (the one on 17th Street) 1 night prior to our cruise. I think they only have an airport shuttle and not a shuttle to the cruise port. But will they still pick you up after the cruise and take you to the airport? THANKS!!!

Holiday Inn and others all offer shuttle service to the cruise port, they are located so close to the terminal. One poster mentioned it was $8 per person. Just inquire when you check in. I won't be going myself until Feb. and staying at this hotel night before cruise.