Regal Princess Questions - Help?

j3000

Ok. Here we go. We're about to book a 7-night Eastern Carib. cruise on the Regal, out of Fort Lauderdale April 3-10. 60+ couple, no major problems or quirks :D.

Some issues I'd like some help with please?:

1. Booking. How / where is the best place to book online? Thru Princess direct? Or one of the (hundreds!) of booking sites online ? (and, if so, which ones?)

I DO like to get a good bang for my buck (and yes, I'm Canadian, so I'm painfully aware of the exchange rate these days!) Anyone know who might be offering deals on this partic. cruise?

2. Rooms/cabins & deck plans? Which deck & area should I look for? We are kind of "middle-of-the-road" people, so we'll stay away from the Upper & Lower price brackets. We'd like an OceanView (which side is best?) - not sure if we need or want a balcony, which I assume is more $$. (we live on the ocean & see it every day ...so it's maybe not such a big deal to us). I guess we want to be somewhere mid-ship? for ease of access? (eg near the pool etc. is not important) And just in case of rough waters - are any areas/deck less prone to motion-sickness? Again, which deck prob. offers best "bang for the buck"?

Any advice / comments appreciated!

Edited by jargey3000

Just a couple of things. I don't believe there are any Ocean View cabins on the Regal.

Get a good TA to help you with all your inquiries. We are not allowed to recommend any TAs on Cruise Critic.

We always bring Bonine to help with sea sickness.

Ok. Here we go. We're about to book a 7-night Eastern Carib. cruise on the Regal, out of Fort Lauderdale April 3-10. 60+ couple, no major problems or quirks :D.

Some issues I'd like some help with please?:

1. Booking. How / where is the best place to book online? Thru Princess direct? Or one of the (hundreds!) of booking sites online ? (and, if so, which ones?)

I DO like to get a good bang for my buck (and yes, I'm Canadian, so I'm painfully aware of the exchange rate these days!) Anyone know who might be offering deals on this partic. cruise?

2. Rooms/cabins & deck plans? Which deck & area should I look for? We are kind of "middle-of-the-road" people, so we'll stay away from the Upper & Lower price brackets. We'd like an OceanView (which side is best?) - not sure if we need or want a balcony, which I assume is more $$. (we live on the ocean & see it every day ...so it's maybe not such a big deal to us). I guess we want to be somewhere mid-ship? for ease of access? (eg near the pool etc. is not important) And just in case of rough waters - are any areas/deck less prone to motion-sickness? Again, which deck prob. offers best "bang for the buck"?

Any advice / comments appreciated!

Get a travel agent and try and get the cruise in canadian dollars. I am canadian also and got a Caribbean cruise on Regal in Canadian dollars. I also understand if you paid the cruise in Canadian dollars you can pre-order things and it will also be in canadian dollars.

Marlster

There are no ocean view cabins. Your cabin choices are inside, balcony, mini suites or suites.

Mid ship is best when it comes to minimizing movement. Be aware however that there are no mid ship stairs above deck 7. I would suggest mid forward or mid aft deck 12 or 14. Stay away from deck 15 since there are public areas above and could result in noise issues. Being on deck 12 or 14 more forward or aft will allow you fairly close access to stairs if you would prefer to walk up a deck or two to the pools or the Horizon Court.

Can't suggest a cruise agent as it is not allowed on this site. Good luck. I am sure you will find Regal to be a beautiful ship.

Ok - so no O/V cabins? So ... if you want an ocean view... what are your options - the "Balcony" rooms?

OK on rec. TAs. Generally speaking - better to book direct with the cruise line? or thru TA?

ALSO - is it possible for me to go to a website now, to see which rooms are actually STILL AVAILABLE right now, for this particular cruise?

Get a travel agent and try and get the cruise in canadian dollars. I am canadian also and got a Caribbean cruise on Regal in Canadian dollars. I also understand if you paid the cruise in Canadian dollars you can pre-order things and it will also be in canadian dollars.

Marlster

Thanks Marister ... without "recommending" anyone... are you able to just mention who you booked this cruise with? just for information? (ps I'm on the OPPOSITE end of the country!)

Edited by jargey3000

Yes, balcony cabins are your option for an ocean view. Mini suites and suites have balconies as well.

As for using an agent it all depends on the agent. Some will "throw in" some additional OBC or send a gift to your cabin ( bottle of wine, cheese plate, etc.). Best way to find out is to shop some agents and ask.

You can see available cabins by going through the booking process on the Princess website without actually finalizing the booking.

Go to the main Cruisecritic page. Next to the tab for "Reviews" is a tab "Find a Cruise". If you input the info for the cruise you want, it will give you options from various travel agencies. You can then compare prices between them and Princess. You can also google the cruise you want to take and you will get options from agencies that way too.

Ok - so no O/V cabins? So ... if you want an ocean view... what are your options - the "Balcony" rooms?

OK on rec. TAs. Generally speaking - better to book direct with the cruise line? or thru TA?

ALSO - is it possible for me to go to a website now, to see which rooms are actually STILL AVAILABLE right now, for this particular cruise?

First go to Princess.com website. From the banner select Plan a Cruise. Then select Regal Princess and April 2016. Your proposed cruise will come up. By going through the booking process you will be able to get fares and see what cabins are available. At this time I don't see any promos for your proposed sailing, but this is where a T.A. can assist. Do not complete the booking. With this information in hand like everyone else recommend you contact a travel agent. All outside cabins on the Regal Princess have balconies and most balconies are 9'x4', but about 5% have balconies that are a little larger. You can book anything from an obstructed view balcony to a full suite. Search around the deck plans.

Couple of clarifications from other posters:

Most Princess ships have stairs in the middle that go all the way to the pool deck (and above). For some reason Regal only has elevators in this area. So if you have a cabin very close to the middle you have to take an elevator, and these can be very busy. The aft elevator/stairs go directly up into the middle of the huge buffet. Forward elevator/stairs go up to the adult area on the sport deck. We prefer that location. We like the cabins far forward due to lack of noise and the chance to see ships officers all the time. Didn't notice much motion except while going through the Gulf Stream, which is always a bit rocky.

Usually Riviera cabins under the pool and MUTS (Movies Under The Stars) seating should be avoided because they clean this area around four in the morning and keep dragging all the loungers around. Other areas (like under the buffet) are much quieter. For Regal and Royal, Princess added another deck between the Lido and Riviera called the Marina deck. So Riviera doesn't have the noise problem on these ships but Marina does. The only difference between a standard balcony and deluxe is a couch - if you don't need it, don't pay extra.

People here tend to prefer a travel agent because they can discount from Princess rates. Ask friends who have cruised before, since giving recommendations here is against Cruise Critic rules. Find one that doesn't charge to make changes and doesn't collect your fare a month before it is due.

If you were ever in the military, you will get OBC.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

We just got off Regal on 1/17. We had cabin E405. It was a deluxe obstructed balcony. There was no real obstruction. but if you looked down you saw the deck below you. Straight out, you saw the ocean. These type of cabins have a love seat in them, desk chair and small table. Check them out.

If you were ever in the military, you will get OBC.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/

We just got off Regal on 1/17. We had cabin E405. It was a deluxe obstructed balcony. There was no real obstruction. but if you looked down you saw the deck below you. Straight out, you saw the ocean. These type of cabins have a love seat in them, desk chair and small table. Check them out.

What deck were you on geo?

As for sea sickness----if you are really prone to this you need to understand that the location on any ship that experiences the least amount of motion will be on a lower deck in the middle of the ship. On the Regal, that would mean an interior cabin just forward of the amidships elevators on deck 8.