Half Moon Cay--St Kitts???

Shutterlady

Currently I have booked a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay (always wanted to go there), St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and San Juan. We've been to all of those places except HMC.

Now I find one that goes to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grand Turk and San Juan.

I know that there can be issues with Half Moon Cay being a hit or miss to get there. And am thinking of switching it to the St. Maarten, St. Kitts cruise. Any thoughts from experiences cruises to those places????

Also this new option is on the Conquest which I've not been on. Although I'm assuming it's just like the Liberty and the Glory.

Have been to HMC twice--going again in November.

But--we are dying to go to St. Maarten.

That's a tough one!

We have sailed the Conquest twice--yes, it is a Conquest class like the Liberty, Valor, Glory, etc--great ship!

Good luck with your choice!!

If the St Kitts cruise is also in January, and all other things are mostly equal, then I'd take the cruise farthest south. The water will be much cooler in January in the Bahamas, and having done some of the out-islands in Dec thru March, it was hard for me to enjoy being in the water. We snorkeled in St Kitts and had a wonderful time.

I'm sure you'll have fun, no matter which one you choose!

Liz

That's why I originally booked the one with HMC. I wonder if the month of January has a larger or smaller chance of being skipped due to weather?

We went in January and made it. But it was windy and chilly. I rebooked as soon as we got home and went in April and it was perfect. I wouldn't book hmc in January again.

That's why I originally booked the one with HMC. I wonder if the month of January has a larger or smaller chance of being skipped due to weather?

How about I let you know in February? We sail next week from San Juan to Galveston with a stop on HMC. :)

We have never been to HMC...but we have been to St. Kitts and St. Maarten.

I absolutely love St. Maarten....beautiful port, beautiful beaches. Pinel, Grand Case....guava berry rum stand in the port.

St, Kitts....tour with Royston was wonderful, and we took a cat to Nevis thru Leeward Island Charters/

Love those two islands.

Both cruises leave the same day in January. One from Ft. Lauderdale and one from Miami.

We have to cruise in January due to our business and I remember when we went to the Bahamas one year the water wasn't very warm there. That's a good thing to keep in mind.

I would never cruise for HMC because it is just a beach day. I know some people are crazy about it, I don't get it. Yeah it's a nice relaxing day, but there is nothing else to do but the beach. A couple excursions, carnival only, none really worth doing IMO (they can be done better elsewhere, and cheaper too). For January I for sure wouldn't book an entire cruise just for HMC because it'll probably be too cold for a good beach day and that's all that's there!

We are doing the St. Kitts/St Martin route this April. Still not sure what we will be doing, though

In St Kitts we hang out at Reggae beach bar and grill. Google them and also have a FB page. I can't remember if they provide transportation with a fee or suggest a taxi. Great food and fun. In winter months I like to head as far south as possible.

We are opting to cruise in Southern Caribbean this time of year because we have been in the Bahamas this time of year and it has been so cool.

Yes, southern Caribbean can cost more, but the weather is so much warmer.

We have taken two cruises in the Bahamas this time of year and I could hardly lay in a beach chair on the deck without a jacket and the wind was blowing so that they closed the outer deck and the ocean water was on those decks....so we have opted to do southern routes this time of year.

I also agree with the comments about HMC....beach sit and send more money to Carnival.

I went to HMC in January and the water was perfect that day. It is my absolute #1 port. I love beach days and it was the most amazingly, beautiful water I have ever seen. With that being said, St. M is my 2nd favorite port so I don't think you can lose with either option. You are probably safer going to St. M and St. K so I would lean that way for a January cruise.

I've not been to HMC, so I can't give you any information on it, other than what I have read in these threads. It seems that water and wind conditions prevent tendering pretty frequently.

If you have not yet been to St. Maarten or St. Kitts, I'd highly recommend both. St. Maarten has become our favorite port of call, and St. Kitts isn't on too many itineraries; we took a great tour of St. Kitt's with Mr. Thenford Grey, and took a great speedboat excursion on St. Maarten with Capt. Bob of Soualiga Destinations. Great excursion, which included many of the key points of St. Maarten, including Maho Beach, snorkeling at 3 different spots, lunch on the French side of the island, and an overall great day, with only 12-14 people aboard the speedboat.

I hope to get to HMC some day, but the itineraries that we've been on have never included it.

You'll enjoy either, but I wouldn't choose an itinerary based on one tendered port.

You can't really go wrong with either itinerary. You have to ask yourself, if they are unable to tender at HMC, will you be okay with that? Only you can decide that.

From all the places I've been, both HMC and St. Kitts are up there in my favorite spots. I personally didn't like St. Maarten, or more how people hounded me literally EVERY minute on Orient Beach to buy something or to have my feet rubbed with aloe. UGH! You couldn't pay me to go back to that beach. I'd go elsewhere in St. Maarten. I loved Coki beach in St. Thomas.

Currently I have booked a cruise that goes to Half Moon Cay (always wanted to go there), St. Thomas, Grand Turk, and San Juan. We've been to all of those places except HMC.

Now I find one that goes to St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grand Turk and San Juan.

I know that there can be issues with Half Moon Cay being a hit or miss to get there. And am thinking of switching it to the St. Maarten, St. Kitts cruise. Any thoughts from experiences cruises to those places????

Also this new option is on the Conquest which I've not been on. Although I'm assuming it's just like the Liberty and the Glory.

I am sure you will enjoy your cruise. We are currently booked on the Breeze January 30th and will visit those 4 Ports. I personally would rather go to St. Maarten since is one of my favorite islands. If you choose St. Maarten, I recommend you rent a car and drive the island at your own pace. I always plan a stop at Orient Bay (beach) and Maho Bay to watch a few planes land before heading to down town for some shopping. St. Kitts is also a beautiful island. Last time we visited we rented a cab and went to the beach. On the way back, the taxi driver gave us a tour of some parts of the island. We took some awesome pics of Nevis in the distance.

Whatever you choose, have a great trip.