Current passport turn around

NanciRDH

Thanks so much for the responses.

Interesting about the fees being sufficient to support the cost of Passport Processing.

How nice tax payers who do not apply for passports do not have to pay for a service they don't use.

Makes me wish more Government Agencies could be run that way. :)

Why will there be more people applying in the coming weeks? :confused: It's early for the 'summer travel rush' for non-passport holders to get their applications in, isn't it?

Per the advice given above, I entered my e-mail address and hope to hear soon my passport has processed. :)

In general three weeks but over the coming weeks you will find many more people applying which can increase the turn around time and even the snow will slow it down a bit.

Keith

Why would there be more applying now? Are you basing this on something?

I have a coworker who does this type of exaggeration quite often. We call her the Queen of Hyperbole. She seemingly pulls this kind of info out of her....well, you get the idea.

I'm cruising 3/31, and my friend needs to renew her passport. Has anyone here done that recently and what was your turn around time? And yes, I realize it's not mandatory for a cruise, but this is a work cruise (yes, we love our boss!) And he requires us to travel with one....his dime, his rules lol.

ummm is your job hiring?!?! LOL what a great boss

Don't take anyone's advice about getting it back in 2 or 3 weeks. It can and does take the full 6 weeks

Sometimes it takes the full six weeks and sometimes it takes 2 or 3 weeks. It is hit and miss, but either way OPs fiend has 10 weeks which should be plenty of time to get a passport.

I read that the states without the new ID standards time was running out, but I believe the deadline was extended. Their state ID would not be sufficient for travel.

Good point. There are only a handful of states and more than one passport office so maybe those in/near the states with the insufficient ID drivers license could have an unusually high number of passport applications.

My husband, two of our kids got new passports, I renewed my expired one, and we got them back in less than four weeks. I got regular service with overnight delivery.

My other daughter we had to expedite because of annoying paperwork complications (long story) and I was shocked to get it back in about a week!

while there, sign up for the e-mail notifications

I found these to be MUCH more accurate than the web site

the web site said 'processing' when I'd gotten an e-mail that said 'mailed'

and STILL said 'processing' the day I received my passport (priority mail .... what they use for returns now, at no extra cost to you)

did you know that the passport office runs on the fees they collect and NOT tax dollars?

I requested the "updates". Here is the email I received January 20th. I received my passport the first week of December. (2.5 week turnaround-regular processing)

We have finished processing your passport, and it has been mailed to you.

Your passport application locator number is 332235160.

You requested delivery by regular mail. Passport Agencies use Priority Mail. This means you should receive your passport on or about 12/06/2015.

ummm is your job hiring?!?! LOL what a great boss

I do have a great boss! But, sorry, no, we have a full staff. And people rarely quit, can't imagine why? :D

And to update...my friend found her passport, and still has a year left on it, so she's ok this trip. Thanks for all the input.

I mailed my passport and application for renewal about January 9 and received an e-mail stating it has been mailed to me and I should expect it about February 5. That is great turn around. I was in no hurry so did not ask for expedited or for overnight mail.

If your passport is due to be renewed in the upcoming months, do it now. Beat the rush that apparently is expected.