Alaska Cruises (Regatta) - Blue Jeans Ok, or Dressier?

3Fluffies

Apologies if there was a standing dress code thread - I didn't find one.

I'm contemplating an Alaska cruise on Regatta this summer, considering how to balance packing for outdoor excursions (wanna do some hiking/dog sledding!) and dressing reasonably well on board. Can anyone advise as to general manner of dress for passengers? I've looked at the dress code online - I see they no jeans at dinner, which I expected, but what about in general. Will I be out of place wearing jeans, or should I have a few pairs of khakis/slacks? (Female passenger, age 35.)

Any advice?

Jeans for the ports if it is raining do not work. Once jeans get wet, you get cold and they take forever to dry. The weather can go from hot to cold within one day, so I would suggest layers. I would actually pack boots and rain gear for this trip as a safety precaution. On 3 out of 4 cruises to Alaska, I was glad that I took my rain gear. I kept nice and dry but a lot of passengers did not.

Oceania's dress code policies don't change from location to location. During the day, it's whatever is appropriate attire for sight seeing in that area. During the evening and in the restaurants a consistent dress code applies regardless where you are at!

In Alaska, I found breathable rain gear to be invaluable. I also wore slacks from the North Face that are water repellant, though not water proof, and found them to be great on many occasions. They look a lot like kakki slacks and breath. Jeans are a poor way to go there, imo. Any type of sandal, ashore, is a poor choice. Once you get away from the beach/harbor areas, you immediately arrive into mosquito country. Any exposed skin is bitten skin. You'll need deet, and consider what you prefer spraying it onto!

Ah, good point - that's a lesson I've learned the hard way. I was planning to bring a raincoat and waterproof boots, but this might be another reason to invest in some non-jean casual pants.

You are welcome. As a Girl Guide leader, I used to take a pair of my jeans, a pail of water into a meeting to show the girls why Jeans were not appropriate wear when we went to camp. I never had problems with the girls wearing jeans to camp after the demonstration.