Thoughts on Allure and not leaving ship

Hi everyone- trying to decide between cancelling our Allure trip or staying on the ship and not getting off. I'm undergoing fertility treatments and although I won't be pregnant at the time of our March cruise, I'm concerned about the Zika virus. My dr has stated we should be fine if we stay on the ship while in port and use bug spray with Deet. And while a vacation is not worth the lifetime of a healthy child, I could really use the mental break before we head into some pretty intense months. So we are debating the pros and cons of each.

So my question is- has anyone done a week on Allure, not gotten off, and not felt claustrophobic or trapped? I've been on Oasis so I know how huge the ship is- that's not an issue. And we have a balcony room so I'm not concerned about being in an inside cabin. I'm thinking this would be a good trip to really just get to know the ship well but still hesitant to spend a week onboard without getting off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't date tackle the medical side of this, but you won't feel claustrophobic on that ship, especially while others are in port.

Ok, that said, if you want to feel claustrophobic, go to the Royal Promenade during the Dreamworks Character Parade, or the dance party.

I think it's a personal choice and depends on you and any issues you might have.

I have claustrophobic/panic issues so I can't be on the ship for several days and not get off. One time we had to ship a port due to a hurricane so we had 4 sea days in a row. I was not a happy camper about that. This is also why I won't do a transatlantic.

Last time we cruised we did the Baltimore -> Port Canaveral, Nassau run. We ran into weather so we were late getting to PC and they cancelled most port excursions. All we did was walk off the ship and sit on a bench right outside for about 30 minutes and I was fine.

For me if I could do something like that on Allure where I could get off the ship and feel land under my feet for a little bit, I would be OK. If you don't have any issues generally with claustrophobia then I think you would be OK on the ship since it is so huge and there are many things to do.

Editing to add:

I guess I'm also wondering though what about other passengers who get off and come back on the ship. You'll be exposed to them so there would still be a chance of getting the virus anyway. Sorry I haven't read up about the virus so I'm not sure about how quickly it can spread etc.

Edited by hansolosmom

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm not so much worried about claustrophobia as much as boredom, running out of things to do.

The virus can't be spread from person to person contact so there's no concern about others bringing something back.

I may not really have too much of a decision to make, especially if protests continue for some time in Labadee (they probably won't but you never know).

When I was on the Oasis, I didn't get off at all. I had been to all of the stops a ton of times, and just wanted to chill. Had a great time, was never bored and enjoyed having the ship be very empty during the port stops.

I see you have done several cruises before, including the Oasis. Do you cruise for the ports, beaches etc?

When I first started to cruise it was the ports, and now more for the ships. We did a one week cruise on the Oasis last year, and this year we are doing a B2B on the Allure, because we felt like we didn't do everything that we wanted to do on the Oasis.

Having said that, we have been to the ports many times and there are times where we have barely gotten off of various ships. There are usually activities going on, esp mid to late afternoon.

On-board, there is also the option for spa treatments, manicures etc.

Also you have the rock climbing wall, wave runner, and zipline

In summary it is really hard to say if you would be bored without more information about your inclinations in regards to cruises.

Hi everyone- trying to decide between cancelling our Allure trip or staying on the ship and not getting off. I'm undergoing fertility treatments and although I won't be pregnant at the time of our March cruise, I'm concerned about the Zika virus. My dr has stated we should be fine if we stay on the ship while in port and use bug spray with Deet. And while a vacation is not worth the lifetime of a healthy child, I could really use the mental break before we head into some pretty intense months. So we are debating the pros and cons of each.

So my question is- has anyone done a week on Allure, not gotten off, and not felt claustrophobic or trapped? I've been on Oasis so I know how huge the ship is- that's not an issue. And we have a balcony room so I'm not concerned about being in an inside cabin. I'm thinking this would be a good trip to really just get to know the ship well but still hesitant to spend a week onboard without getting off.

If there is one ship you could go a week and not get off, it's Allure. Hard to imagine a better ship. I must say it is a little low key onboard while being in port and the ship lacks some of its energy without many of its great passengers. Here are some videos I did of the ship on a port day.

The Boardwalk...

The Royal Promenade...

Central Park...

If there is one ship you could go a week and not get off, it's Allure. Hard to imagine a better ship. I must say it is a little low key onboard while being in port and the ship lacks some of its energy without many of its great passengers. Here are some videos I did of the ship on a port day.

The Boardwalk...

The Royal Promenade...

Central Park...

Thanks so much for sharing the videos! I agree that if there's one ship to be "stuck" on for a week, we are booked on it. There are definitely issues to consider but you have all been very helpful!

Usually the spa has a discount offered while in port. Enjoy pampering yourself! If looking for something free to do, the diving crew usually practices while the ship is in a port. That is always fun to sit and watch. Grab a book and enjoy your balcony and the peace and quiet it offers! What ever you do, you will love it……..it's a vacation!!!!

I came down with strep throat the third day of a 12 day cruise and stayed onboard the rest of the trip (I might add that the ship's doctor - and I use that term loosely - had no clue what I had so I wasn't concerned with being contagious to fellow cruisers). Anyway, I was perfectly happy reading, relaxing, etc., and without the slight fever, I would totally stay onboard again.

We love staying on the nearly empty ship.