Baltics or British Isles - Opinions Needed Please

mickeysgal

We are currently booked on a 2016 Baltics cruise - Silhouette with a triple overnight in St. Petersburg. BUT now I'm looking at the simply superb sailings to Ireland and Scotland. Really tempted to run now in that direction instead. So for those that have done these itineraries - HELP convince me either way. DH is tired of me talking about it...he just wants to pick one and go with it. He's happy either way. Thank you all.

I agree with your DH....just pick one and then stop thinking and talking about having maybe picked the wrong one. There's no right or wrong. You can always do the other cruise next year.

Edited by ghstudio

Yes, if possible, do both in two successive years. Both are great itineraries. But the triple overnight in St.Petersburg would be the decisive factor for me because it's quite unusual ( and perfect!) to have more than two days in St. Petersburg. And with the ruble so weak towards the $ you should get good rates with private tour operators.

We are scheduled for a Baltic cruise in May (ours is only 2 days in St Petersburg). I also saw the British Isle cruise and we are planning to do that one in the future. I would look at the pricing, the cabin selection and the perks and do the one that fits your budget and then the other one down the road.

If this is "I can only go on one" - i would pick Baltic

Last year we were on the Silhouette in the British Isles- WONDERFUL! The year before on the Constellation in the Baltics- WONDERFUL! We are jealous that it is now a triple overnight in St P as one day a week things are closed, so having a choice in arranging what to see and when, sounds wonderful. Loved all the ports on this cruise.

I agree with all of the above, go to the Baltic this year and the British Isles another year! Both are top notch cruises!

I regret I never did a Black Sea cruise that included Crimea. I would not take chance on the possibility they may tighten up visa requirements or something similar that would make the stop in St Petersburg not practical. Recommend the Baltic cruise first, then do the British Isles.

We did the Baltic cruise several years ago on Royal Caribbean. It was wonderful trip and the overnight in St Petersburg was something I would like to do again someday. Do the Baltic this year and save the British Isles for your next trip. We are on the Silhouette in August to finally do the British isles itinerary.

We did the Baltic with overnights in St Petersburg, Stockholm and Copenhagen. 12 nights, 2 sea days and one the best trips ever. We were on the Silhouette and loved it. The only thing close was our recent Australia/NZ cruise on the Solstice. Forget the Isles, go for the Baltic. You can see my pictures....links in my signature password is Baltic 15

I agree with everyone, that extra time in St Petersburg would clinch it for me. WE did the Baltics with Celebrity and only had 2 days and 1 night and we would have liked more.

Make sure to look for private tours, much less expensive with smaller groups.

With three days in St. Petersburg, I would ABSOLUTELY pick the Baltics cruise.

We did a wonderful itinerary with RCCL on the Serenade last summer (2015) because the Serenade offered three days and Celebrity only offered two days in St. Petersburg. It was an incredible trip from start to finish and should not be missed. I would absolutely take advantage of the fact that Celebrity is offering two overnights (not three) in St. Petersburg.

If you haven't arranged your tours in St. Petersburg yet, I can HIGHLY recommend SPB-Tours. We went on tours with them in 6 cities in the Baltics, and their level of organization, their tour guides and drivers are top in their class. They were so very wonderful to deal with...made our planning SO easy (and I took a group of 17 people with me). There was no comparison between the tours we took, and those provided by the ship. SPB's pricing was unbeatable as well.

http://www.spb-tours.com

Britain and Ireland are great--I've been to Britain 7 times, but it will be easy to go on that trip at another time. I do suggest, if possible, you add some time to your cruise though, so that you have time to get to some of the amazing sights that you can't do in one day from a ship.

Edited by elena7seas

Do the Baltics. I'd do that AGAIN in a heartbeat.

Absolutely stunning and unique.

2 days in St Petersburg is fine. If you compare the 2 day and 3 day tours of St Petersburg you will find there is not much in addition. It's just a bit more spread out. In hind-site I would have booked the 2 day tour and saved the money.

...as we're considering the June 19th Silhouette Baltics cruise. We are deciding between this cruise and one on the Oceania Marina, departing on July 3rd. It's our first time in the Baltics and Scandinavia, and a tough choice between cruise lines!

ETA: For us, the primary reason the Baltic cruise is so compelling is St. Petersburg!

Edited by gbp

We've cruised both areas and I too would jump at the Baltic itinerary.

However I do not agree with Sayaguru. I have spent 10 days in St. Petersburg on a land trip and a cruise stop. There is absolutely no way you can see and experience the city in two days.

One of the flaws of a two day stop on a large ship is the distances traveled from the cruise port to many of the sites. The three day stop won't get you everywhere but it is a great option.

FYI, we also used SPB and because I had already spent a week in the city they were absolutely great to arrange an itinerary that was a little out of the ordinary but pleased the other 5 in our group. We were there with Azamara, docked within sight of The Hermitage for three days and much closer than the "new" cruise terminal.

Save the British itinerary for later and carefully investigate port times. Tides make a huge difference and some days may seem dissapointly short.

Although I am Irish I would stump for the Baltics. Ireland and the UK are probably 2 separate land based trips in order to get the best out of them although a cruise will give you a snapshot. The Baltic cruise gives many different experiences - I have not done either but that would be my inclination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both trips have been our bucket list for a long time. We finally did the Baltic Cruise summer before last on the Constellation, and it was everything I had hoped for. Wonderful cruise. I would echo what some have already said that SPB tours offer a great package at reasonable prices.

Now we are booked for the British Isles in July and looking forward to another check off the list.

Although I am Irish I would stump for the Baltics. Ireland and the UK are probably 2 separate land based trips in order to get the best out of them although a cruise will give you a snapshot. The Baltic cruise gives many different experiences - I have not done either but that would be my inclination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having been to Ireland 10 times (my mother was Irish born and reared), and England 5 times, I tell anyone who asks my opinion that cruising is not the best way to see either country. You want to get your full breakfast each morning and get in your rental car and drive. Pick roads that aren't even on the map. That's the best. I've been lost many times and found spots I wouldn't have if I'd been on some tour. Admittedly, having family in both places and having it be so much a part of my life, I am terribly biased. So, I would definitely pick the Baltics cruise, which I want to do someday.