What's the latest you've ever been assigned your GTY room?

ekatiel

So, we switched from an inside guarantee (we had already been assigned a room) to an oceanview guarantee because of a price drop a week ago. We are now 22 days from sailing. I thought surely they would have assigned our room by now, as for several days there have been no rooms for 4 people available on the ship at all. Still no room #. I have the dream that maybe it means we'll be upgraded somehow, but probably not!! Maybe they'll just stick us in a cupboard under the stairs somewhere :rolleyes:. Just wondering what the latest anyone's waited for a GTY room assignment is :).

We've been assigned as late as a couple of days before the cruise.

You may not know until you arrive at the pier.

Thanks for the info. The suspense is killing me this time for some reason! I even had a crazy dream that we got on board and our room was HUGE-- there was only one catch-- there was no shower :eek:. We were told to use the public shower facilities next door. My mind comes up with the weirdest stuff!! I'm SURE we'll have a shower, but probably not a huge room!!

Thanks for the info. The suspense is killing me this time for some reason! I even had a crazy dream that we got on board and our room was HUGE-- there was only one catch-- there was no shower :eek:. We were told to use the public shower facilities next door. My mind comes up with the weirdest stuff!! I'm SURE we'll have a shower, but probably not a huge room!!

Don't worry, there are only a few staterooms without toilet and shower facilities.;)

The room size will be the minimum stated for the guarantee category range - and could be larger. A few years ago we did a suite guarantee with a JS as the minimum stateroom and were assigned a GS 5 days before sailing. And it had a very nice bathroom! ;)

Just saying it can happen.......

My first cruise we did have our own toilet, but showers were dormitory style. :eek:
I remember those days! There was also a separate room to blowdry your hair and if you tried to do it in your cabin, you'd blow a fuse and a large block of cabins would lose electricity

I have 12 days left and still no assignment.

I booked a week ago and the ship has been sold out since Monday.

You're fortunate with a possible suspense for a maximum of 19 days. :D

We booked a OV gty for Brilliance's Oct. 17th TA a week and a half ago on Anthem. Earlier this week there were no longer any OVs showing available. This is the most ahead we've ever booked a cruise and I can see it now, not only nine months of not knowing which is our cabin but not even being certain of the category. :rolleyes:

I also know of three other couples on our cruise who are exactly in the same situation with their booking. The really good thing with our situation is there is around 50 balcony cabins currently showing available. :)

Once we booked a inside gty on X about 4 months prior and 3 days before the cruise we were assigned a high category balcony which was great since it was a 14 night port intensive Caribbean circuit. Our experience with guarantees, we've done twenty of these, is that waiting a long time for your cabin assignment typically results in a best upgrade.

Edited by robtulipe

Booked a guarantee cabin for Oasis about five weeks ago and we are sailing this Saturday, the 30th. I got our cabin assignment this past Wednesday (20th) so that's about 10 days prior to sailing. I was starting to panic since we've never booked a guarantee before and checked two or three times a day to see if a cabin had been assigned. We're happy with it. :)

Oasis has been sold out (except for a few suites) for a few weeks now so I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long.

Edited by hancogran

We booked a GTY balcony for our Brilliance TA in 2014. We did not get our assignment until 2 weeks before sailing. but, when we did it was a hump balcony. We are sure someone had that cabin and cancelled --or had C and A status and were upgraded. We were very happy. . . . so I think later assignments are often a good thing. :D

Booked a guarantee cabin for Oasis about five weeks ago and we are sailing this Saturday, the 30th. I got our cabin assignment this past Wednesday (20th) so that's about 10 days prior to sailing. I was starting to panic since we've never booked a guarantee before and checked two or three times a day to see if a cabin had been assigned. We're happy with it. :)

Oasis has been sold out (except for a few suites) for a few weeks now so I couldn't figure out why it was taking so long.

Simple answer might be that RCI were waiting for the best or right booking cancellation to assign your cabin from. :D

Edited by robtulipe

So, we switched from an inside guarantee (we had already been assigned a room) to an oceanview guarantee because of a price drop a week ago. We are now 22 days from sailing. I thought surely they would have assigned our room by now, as for several days there have been no rooms for 4 people available on the ship at all. Still no room #. I have the dream that maybe it means we'll be upgraded somehow, but probably not!! Maybe they'll just stick us in a cupboard under the stairs somewhere :rolleyes:. Just wondering what the latest anyone's waited for a GTY room assignment is :).
Two days before the cruise for me.

Thanks for the positive responses, guys! I am secretly hoping that the lack of room assignment at this point is a good thing. Of course, we'll be happy with any ocean view (since we originally booked an interior and were only able to upgrade because of a temporary price drop). Since we are the second sailing after dry dock on Liberty, I'm wondering if we might get really lucky and score one of the new panoramic ocean views. I'm not sure if they pre-sold those for our sailing or not, since they may not have been sure if they'd be finished in time. That would be a really cool upgrade!!!

Get my ocean GTY room assigned about 2 weeks ago for Oasis this coming Sat. I am happy to get upgrade to ocean balcony. It maybe last minute cancellation because all sold out room few weeks ago and now it is available.

Got our room assignment today. No fabulous upgrade, but we did get a nice, solid, mid-ship ocean view, so I can't complain. 20 days until we sail!!

Good to hear.

If you want updated luggage tags, contact whoever booked your cruise and ask for your cruise docs to be re-issued.