NCL Escape Review. Returned 1/23/16

e2011

We just got home from Port Miami. We were on the NCL Escape cruise with sail date of 1/16/16 to 1/23/16. We stayed in a Haven forward facing Penthouse suite, 10106. Spoil Alert: It was magnificent!

Having been on the Getaway in March of 2014 we were excited to see this new ship. We were not disappointed. The ship is beautiful with he Guy Harvey artwork on the sides! The interior colors and finish work were outstanding. The only negative I can say on this class of ship is there are not enough elevators. I don't care what the architects say and I am sure the numbers look good on paper but in real life it doesn't work well. There should be a third set of elevators mid ship or they should have put larger capacity units where they are now. There are always long waits during prime time activities.

The Haven was amazing. The addition of the retractable glass roof over the Haven pool area is a home run. When we were in port in Nassau it was raining and cool yet the Haven was perfect with the roof closed. The new menu at the Haven restaurant was exceptional. I actually got tired of lobster and filets! The staff was excellent and friendly.

We ate at the following pay restaurants: Cagney's, Moderno, La Cucina and Teppanyaki. All four were excellent! The food was amazing and some of the finest meat I have ever had at any restaurant land or sea. We also dined at O'Sheehan's for lunch and breakfast a couple times and it was excellent. We also dined at the Garden Cafe one time and that was enough. Food was good but the crowds and finding a place to sit made the experience terrible. So the bulk of out lunch and breakfast time was at the Haven and as the name says... it is a Haven from the masses.

There was a problem with the shows. A few were canceled but since we do not go to the shows anyway I can;t really comment on it other than some folks on the ship were not happy because of the cancelations. I enjoyed the nice selection of free movies in our cabin.

As far as fun stuff to do on deck we loved the water slides. All of them were fun but we liked the one where you ride the inner tube the best. My wife and daughter did the ropes course several times and loved it as they did on the Getaway. The pool areas and splash zone for little kids was very nice and very crowded. We spent all our pool time at the Haven pool.

The ports were fine. We have been to St. Thomas so many times we just went shopping at our favorite stores. Tortola was a great island. Not quite ready yet for the big ships but they are building up the port shopping area as fast as possible. By next year it should be very cool. There are only a couple stores open at the dock right now. However its a short walk into town for more shopping. CAUTION for those taking "The Baths/Virgin Gorda" tour. Walking down from the bus drop-off to the beach is steep and the path is horrible. Very primitive with lots of slippery sharp volcanic rock. We witness several kids fall and skin there knees badly as well as a few adults. Until they improve this be careful.

Overall the cruise was excellent and I would do it again. My highest recommendation for the Escape!

Cabin 10106? Why that's my cabin, in 322 days (But who's counting). I hope you left it in good shape for us.

What did you think of the location? I was a little worried about being so far from the Haven that I would feel like I was really staying in the Haven. Was the balcony big enough to enjoy.

Cabin 10106? Why that's my cabin, in 322 days (But who's counting). I hope you left it in good shape for us.

What did you think of the location? I was a little worried about being so far from the Haven that I would feel like I was really staying in the Haven. Was the balcony big enough to enjoy.

The floor plan was great for us. We were 3 and it worked out well. It is a hike to get from here to the Haven on deck 17. However it was nice to be able to take the stairs down to 6, 7 & 8 where the meat of the ship is located. So its a trade off but I would do it again. The balcony was very nice and was high enough for great views. Obviously the best Haven rooms are on 17 & 18 in the actual Haven area.

Edited by e2011

Thanks for your review! We are in the Havens - deck 16 and set sail 2/6. Your review was refreshingly positive which is probably indicative of your approach to life. Thanks so much. This will be a 50th wedding anniversary cruise for us and we totally plan to have a blast! BTY we are only 45 at heart, body & soul!!!!!!!!!!1

This will be a 50th wedding anniversary cruise for us and we totally plan to have a blast!

We celebrated my parents' 50th wedding anniversary on the Breakaway last August. They had so much fun, that they're joining us next Saturday on the Escape for another run. We'll make sure to leave the ship in good shape for your trip the following week! Congrats on the special anniversary... and have a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks for your review! We are in the Havens - deck 16 and set sail 2/6. Your review was refreshingly positive which is probably indicative of your approach to life. Thanks so much. This will be a 50th wedding anniversary cruise for us and we totally plan to have a blast! BTY we are only 45 at heart, body & soul!!!!!!!!!!1

You will love it! Enjoy.

Rosethorn40 -- My wife and I are in Suite 10106 of the February 6-13 cruise. I have the same questions as you. I'll submit a critique on this forward penthouse suite when I return.

• 3 weeks later...