Convince me to choose Princess

Luvmypetz

We have cruised on several cruise lines, including the Allure on RCCL We thought that ship was very pretty and some shows were great but didn't like the fact that before we even cruised, we had to make reservations for every show and also pick times for anytime dining. We pick anytime dining and the shows on Princess because Princess mis flexible. Spur of the moment. Even the buffet on RCCL We had to stand in a long line to get in, not so with Princess. It just has a more casual atmosphere. Like the new Discovery show looking at the night sky and constalations too.

Took one Princess cruise b/c at the time, only one offering full cruise thru Pan Canal. BF disappointed no all-u-can-eat soft serve (yes, I know, first world problems). But have any of you done other cruise lines but keep coming back to Princess? Thx!

Not sure. Our 14 day trip on Feb.7 is our first Princess trip(the Regal) Food can be a deal breaker & so far, vlogs on the food I've seen hasn't really impressed me. We've been dedicated to Cunard/Celebrity, so we'll have to see how this goes.

[ATTACH]374581[/ATTACH]

Sarcasm isn't pretty

However it can be pretty funny. And apropos.

As far as convincing someone to cruise Princess, they only need to just read the reviews on this forum over a period of time. Plenty of excellent commentary from folks who do "live from"s and after cruise reviews. BTW, many thanks to all who contribute their experiences. We have learned a lot even though most of our cruises have been with Princess.

Edited by ar1950

Whew.... I'm booked on the coral this summer for Alaska and thought I would have to cancel if I couldn't get ice cream.... Thank goodness I dodged that bullet[emoji41]

I don't get the soft serve onboard at all, its nasty ice milk. :(

Its real ice cream or no ice cream onboard for me.

Sounds like you already have a sense of Princess and that it may not be the best fit for you. What are your priorities on a cruise, what do you really like to do? What have you liked most about other cruise lines you've sailed? That can help us make a case for or against Princess for you.

Also, FWIW, a Panama Canal itinerary is likely going to be an older crowd on just about any cruise line, so I don't think you can make a definitive of the Princess age demographic based on that sailing. That being said, Princess certainly has an older demographic than, say, Royal Caribbean or Carnival.

I don't know if any one can convince you and your BF to go on a Princess cruise. It's just not the Panama Canal that's going to be an older crowd, you're going to find an older crowd no matter which Princess ship you cruise on. We just got off the Ruby Princess on a 15-day Hawaiian cruise and I would say that 90% of the people on board were over the age of 60. Many in motorized wheelchairs and walkers or canes. Forget getting on the elevator as they were always taken up by the wheelchairs and walker people. We always take the stairs but just my observation of disabled people on Princess.

If you want a more younger and energetic atmosphere, then cruise Carnival. DH and I cruise Carnival from time-to-time. If you're phobic about the older crowds, Holland America is worse than Princess.

I always get soft serve after lunch on embarkation day. If he likes ice cream, order the Volcano from the kids menu in the dining room. So much ice cream there it will make any adult sick (in a very good way). And what goes better with ice cream than the amazing pizza (and hot dogs) from Princess. I am in late 40's and husband late 50's. so we are not dead, but not into rock climbing and water slides, unless I am at a water park, then slide away. We enjoy the atmosphere on Princess. Shows are good and many of the comedians are terrific. Dancing at Skywalkers, Club 6 , Club Fusion, Explorers, etc is great. Modern top 40, not played excessively loud and because the line does not attract alot of 20 somethings, there are usually no drunks on the dance floor.

Whatever line you choose, just choose to enjoy!

Yeesh, tough crowd here!

Why to cruise Princess?

You want a relaxing experience with a dose of activities throughout the day, but not so relaxing you feel as if you're in a mausoleum or museum (there's HAL for that! :D). If you're okay with a little self entertaining, Princess is a great line! HAL too.

Why not to cruise Princess?

You want an invigorating experience with activities available most all hours of the day. If you're of this mindset, I'd say that RCCL is a better way to go. CCL and NCL too. Those 3 lines are a little more "lively" as compared to Princess' product.

Now, I'm not trashing one line over the other. When we want to just relax and not be overwhelmed with too much to do in too little time, we look to Princess first and HAL second. When we want to feel as if we're at a fair/carnival all hopped up on goofballs, we look at the other lines for such an experience.

All the lines mentioned offer a great product that caters to a particular niche. and depending on your personality you might fit into several niches or just one niche.

I will say this though... ice cream is crazy tasty and vacation time is no calorie counting time so I get his disappointment! If I was all I cannot wait for X and X wasn't available the apt description of yours truly is "the SCOURGE OF GOD". :eek:

I think the OP's question was answered: in 2009, there was no free soft-serve. Now there is.

If that's the only thing that matters, not to worry.

Our first cruise was Princess through the Canal, from FLL to LA, on the "old" Island before May, 2015. A wonderful experience from start to finish. Princess may be middle-of-the-road, but it will never be offensive... Like RCCL with its nonstop junior-high oldies piped in everywhere

Sorry, hit send by accident in mid-sentence.

As I was saying, RCCL with its brainless music, get-yer-own-coffee buffet, lack of maritime feel, and occasionally inedible food made me feel as I were on a seagoing Greyhound bus. Princess is classy by comparison.

I am a major ice cream fan, but never eat the stuff if I'm not cruising or on some other sort of vacation. I say sail with Princess, and the BF can stuff his face with soft-serve, or even better, splurge on the $1.50 gelato. Three generous scoops of deliciousness.

For me, to be honest, the difference is all about Movies Under the Stars. Oh, we love the destinations and the dining and the shows, but the difference is MUTS.

Lying out under the Caribbean evening sky with it's lingering warmth, but still tucked under a blanket or two if preferred. Watching either a movie, or for me, even better, Monday, Thursday or Sunday night Football. You are never more than about 40 meters from the pizza stand, burger and dog stand, or ice cream stand. Plus popcorn is being handed out. It is just a great way to cap off a wonderful day. You can also head into the hot tubs if you care to and keep watching the movie.

Oh - and International Café, with all their goodies - is another fantastic plus. I usually have a pistachio pudding and a custard fruit cup to cap off the night.

And then I get home and have to lose 10 pounds.

Don

We just got off the Ruby Princess on a 15-day Hawaiian cruise and I would say that 90% of the people on board were over the age of 60.

I don't think any experienced cruiser would be surprised by an older

crowed on a 15-day cruise.

If you're looking for a younger crowd on princess, do 7-days (or fewer)

from FLL in March/April.

[quote name='Mud_Shark']For me, to be honest, the difference is all about Movies Under the Stars. Oh, we love the destinations and the dining and the shows, but the difference is MUTS.

Don[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RocketMan275']

Princess has a very special dining experience. I know of no other line that does anything like this. It is somewhat expensive, $100 for two, but we think it is a wonderful experience. DW said afterwards, that she had never felt more pampered in her life. Princess will serve a multicourse dinner with dedicated servers on your balcony. Cocktails, wine, appetizers, salad, lobster/steak, and dessert. It's truly something well worth the money. Just consider it to be a shore excursion.

[/QUOTE]

Here are the two things that stand out for me on Princess, for different reasons. I don't like MUTS except at night. The noisy concerts really spoil the pool experience for me, although watching a movie at night is fine.

The Ultimate Balcony Dinner is one of my favourite things on Princess. When we sailed with our extended family we gifted both our sons and daughters in law to this experience and they loved it too. Rocketman didn't mention the floral decoration or the included photo.

We have cruised many different lines and Celebrity and Princess are our favourites. We choose between them based on itinerary and price.