Sapphire Beach and Kids

LuCruise

I probably shouldn't post this question as it'll just confuse me more, but I thought I'd dig deeper into the option of Sapphire beach for our St Thomas day.

We're coming with a 10.5 year old (who swims well) and a 6.5 year old (who is at beginner swimming, but we have a life vest for her and wouldn't take her out far in the water).

First I was decided on Coki beach as it looked so beautiful from pictures...pure crisp blue water, the waves look perfect for some fun (not too rough but more than a bathtub ;)). And it's nice to have the option of Coral World if we want. My main hesitation is if my kids will be scared of the fish if swarms of them are around. And I've heard of past crime and smell of weeds (but not sure if this is true, and if it's an issue in the morning/early afternoon).

So then I started looking at Magens Bay. It's beautiful as well, and very calm (maybe too calm?). And there won't be the issue of the swarms of fish. Small entrance fee for adults, which is ok.

I know both of the above will be very busy, which is fine. (There is our ship the Allure, plus Carnival Splendor in port that day)

So I've also seen pictures of Sapphire Beach. My understanding is that in comparison, they are all similar in terms of distance from pier and taxi cost and it seems beautiful as well. So a few questions:

1. Does the water get rough? Or is it good for kids?
  2. Is it rocky or sandy? (I think I've read you need water shoes?)
  3. I know it's good for snorkelling too, but is it just as saturated with fish as Coki?
  4. Can you get lunch there? I've heard conflicting things.
  5. Are taxi's readily available?
  6. Are there washrooms?
  7. Personal opinion, but for those that have been to at least 2 of the above, which beach do you find the prettiest?
  8. Any other comments?

Edited by LuCruise

Great questions. Researching Coki vs. Sapphire vs. Secret Harbor myself. Looking for best snorkeling and pretty much decided on Coki although concerned will be crowded with 4 ships in port that day and ours getting in latest. Sapphire and Secret Harbor do sound great as well but not sure if water will be as crystal clear and abundant with fish for close to shore snorkeling (without having to swim out) and also not certain of amenities at Sapphire - have read mixed but think some of it was older posts. I THINK they now have chair rentals again, what about bathrooms and food options?

I was just at Sapphire on Jan 17th.

Does the water get rough? Or is it good for kids? - Very calm when I was there.

Is it rocky or sandy? (I think I've read you need water shoes?) _ Sandy in the center.

I know it's good for snorkelling too, but is it just as saturated with fish as Coki? - Not as much.

Can you get lunch there? I've heard conflicting things. - Yes, there was a beach waiter or walk to the Cabana for lunch.

Are taxi's readily available? - We had our driver return.

Are there washrooms? - Yes

Personal opinion, but for those that have been to at least 2 of the above, which beach do you find the prettiest? - Sapphire and I have been to them all.

Any other comments?

Edited by runner15km

Thanks for the replies. I had given up on getting a response :-)

So it sounds like the only downside of Sapphire is that taxi's are not there to pick you up

I'm not sure we'd want to have to set a return time in case we wanted more time, or we were ready to come back earlier than planned.

PS - We're not snorkellers so the fact that it has less fish than Coki is a good thing.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I had given up on getting a response :-)

So it sounds like the only downside of Sapphire is that taxi's are not there to pick you up

I'm not sure we'd want to have to set a return time in case we wanted more time, or we were ready to come back earlier than planned.

Taxis DO stop in to pick up folks returning to the docks. They do this for all of the popular beaches daily. Sapphire has a coral area, a sandy swimming area, and a seagrass area. Gorgeous water colors and island views, and at least 2 food and drink options. You'll find a ton of current information on Sapphire in recent threads...

I probably shouldn't post this question as it'll just confuse me more, but I thought I'd dig deeper into the option of Sapphire beach for our St Thomas day.

We're coming with a 10.5 year old (who swims well) and a 6.5 year old (who is at beginner swimming, but we have a life vest for her and wouldn't take her out far in the water).

First I was decided on Coki beach as it looked so beautiful from pictures...pure crisp blue water, the waves look perfect for some fun (not too rough but more than a bathtub ;)). And it's nice to have the option of Coral World if we want. My main hesitation is if my kids will be scared of the fish if swarms of them are around. And I've heard of past crime and smell of weeds (but not sure if this is true, and if it's an issue in the morning/early afternoon).

So then I started looking at Magens Bay. It's beautiful as well, and very calm (maybe too calm?). And there won't be the issue of the swarms of fish. Small entrance fee for adults, which is ok.

I know both of the above will be very busy, which is fine. (There is our ship the Allure, plus Carnival Splendor in port that day)

So I've also seen pictures of Sapphire Beach. My understanding is that in comparison, they are all similar in terms of distance from pier and taxi cost and it seems beautiful as well. So a few questions:

1. Does the water get rough? Or is it good for kids?

The water can be rough at times., but it is generally fine for children. While you might have some waves they will no tbe bad. It is not as smooth as Coki or Megans though.

1. Is it rocky or sandy? (I think I've read you need water shoes?)

Both, there are places where it is completely sandy and easy to get in and there are other places where you have to avoid some rocks. You don't need water shoes.

1. I know it's good for snorkelling too, but is it just as saturated with fish as Coki?

Short answer no, especially in the main swimming area. You have to go to the sides of the beach to find good snorkeling.

1. Can you get lunch there? I've heard conflicting things.

Yes there is a place between buildings B & C that serves lunch including hamburgers, hot dogs, fish sandwiches, and things like that. They also have fries.

1. Are taxi's readily available?

Yes there are normally cabs there and if there aren't any the dive shop will call one for you.

1. Are there washrooms?

Yes, but I can't tell you anything about them since we had a condo on the beach.

1. Personal opinion, but for those that have been to at least 2 of the above, which beach do you find the prettiest?

Sapphire is prettier than Coki, but all three are nice.

1. Any other comments?

We just spent 9 days at a condo on Sapphire beach over Christmas. I have answered for you in red above.

Edited by zqvol

Yep...I shouldn't have posted the question since it just adds to the confusion. Coki looked the prettiest but there are concerns if pot and past crime. And I assume it will feel the busiest of the three due to its size. Magens is calm and looks like it has the best sand, and we don't have to worry about our kids being scared if they are surrounded by fish. But I keep hearing great things about Sapphire. It looks pretty too with less fish at shore line and I guess is least busy of the three. Biggest concern is taxi on return but sounds like but we leave lots of this buffer time, its not an issue.

I suppose we can't go wrong, but such decisions.

Can you rent chairs or umbrellas at Sapphire Beach? Where, prices? Can you use US credit cards to pay for rentals? Also, can you use credit cards at the Banana Cabana for lunch?

Please advise. Thank you for any input or information.:)

• 4 weeks later...
There is a drop getting into the water at Sapphire. Makes it a bit difficult getting out. The view is gorgeous there. More gentle beach access at Coki and Secret Harbor.

How deep is the drop, that it's tough to get out?

The Caribbean beaches change, sometimes by the week, or day, or minute.

So it can be rough one day , smooth the next. Windy or calm Dropbiff or no drop off. Lots of fish or no fish. Turtles, squid, Rays all work on their schedule not yours

Don't over think it