Global Entry System

KirkNC

Everyone, just make sure your airline has your global entry number in your profile and make sure it's printed on your boarding pass. This should eliminate most issues at the airport when trying to get past TSA for pre-check.

You should never ever see your KTN on a boarding pass. The PreCheck symbol or words yes but never your number.

Last update on my first GE use.

In Montreal I was required to use my actual card along with my passport. Other than that all was exactly as you all had advised. Shorter security line. Then a kiosk to scan passport and prints.

I'm still waiting on my spouse to get through the regular line. He is the one that refused to apply.

With your name and for a small annual fee they can look up your address in seconds. :eek::) A ring of baggage handlers and thieves in Phoenix were doing that.

Well, it's so hot here in PHX what else does a disreputable thief have to do? ;)

Well, it's so hot here in PHX what else does a disreputable thief have to do? ;)

I feel for you....literally and figuratively.....it's not exactly cool and refreshing here in San Antonio right now. :o:D As for baggage thieves it was handlers locally going through luggage in the cargo holes of planes. It was the one place in the airport where there wasn't security cameras.....until the airlines, airport, and police cooperated and hid cameras in a few planes.

your chances for TSA Pre. The agent said that it only improves your chance to get TSA Pre. I had the impression (wrongly) that it was TSA Pre as well.

Could someone tell me about chances of TSA Pre is it almost always there with Global Entry, or 90%, 75% or worse odds of being given TSA Pre?

Also as an aside, We applied July 1, got conditional approval on July 15 and I was able to snag an appointment for Monday July 18 and Pam was able to Get today July 20. In Albuquerque. On Monday I was the the only one of 8 people from ABQ there for an interview, the resat had come from Denver and Phoenix to get an appointment. We also found out when we were there that ABQ takes walk-ins.

your chances for TSA Pre. The agent said that it only improves your chance to get TSA Pre. I had the impression (wrongly) that it was TSA Pre as well.

Could someone tell me about chances of TSA Pre is it almost always there with Global Entry, or 90%, 75% or worse odds of being given TSA Pre?

Also as an aside, We applied July 1, got conditional approval on July 15 and I was able to snag an appointment for Monday July 18 and Pam was able to Get today July 20. In Albuquerque. On Monday I was the the only one of 8 people from ABQ there for an interview, the resat had come from Denver and Phoenix to get an appointment. We also found out when we were there that ABQ takes walk-ins.

They are incorrect,Precheck is guaranteed with Global Entry.

Yes PreCheck is a benefit of the Global Entry program but no Trusted Traveller program is 100% guaranteed. Technically even getting through Customs and Immigration using GE is not 100% guaranteed. It's the government's way to supposedly keep the honest honest. Truth is in practice most enrollees get to take advantage of GE and PreCheck without issue. In the past two years we're batting 100% with a lot of personal and business travel and never been randomly non-selected. It can and does happen but clearly not often.

Thanks for the confirmation. I realized it wasn't a 100% guarantee, but was hoping for 90-95%. So, from what you said I will be a happy camper with it.

Won't even use it in ABQ as it is usaully no more than 10 minutes to check in at TSA.

We have had TSA Precheck on every flight since we got Global Entry

Thanks for the confirmation. I realized it wasn't a 100% guarantee, but was hoping for 90-95%. So, from what you said I will be a happy camper with it.

Won't even use it in ABQ as it is usaully no more than 10 minutes to check in at TSA.

Be aware that once you're enrolled in a Trusted Traveller program and start getting PreCheck on your boarding passes TSA will try to "force" you into the PreCheck lane. It is your choice but I think TSA deals with a lot of infrequent flyers who are still getting randomly selected but don't know or understand the difference so they try to help them into the right lane. Of course the other notion is that once a flyer tries PreCheck they'll want to sign up and pay the fee. Certainly in crowded and busy airports it's to everybody's advantage to go through the faster line. I've opted to go through the regular lane maybe two or three times. A couple of times were when the regular line was actually a lot shorter than the PreCheck line and once when I was with a business partner who didn't have or get PreCheck. I've never considered opting out of the GE line at Customs and Immigration.

• 3 weeks later...

We just received approval to schedule an interview but even travelling a distance, we cannot find an enrollment center that has an appointment open prior to our departure. Is there any way to expedite this or are we just out of luck?

We just received approval to schedule an interview but even travelling a distance, we cannot find an enrollment center that has an appointment open prior to our departure. Is there any way to expedite this or are we just out of luck?

Keep checking frequently, like at least twice a day, to see if a time opens up. I went from not being able to book an appointment closer than 90 days to catching an open slot a week or so out by checking a couple of times a day every day for two or three days. Some have had success dropping by an interview office and doing a "walk-in" but others have reported their local office will not accept or do "walk-ins" so hard to say if that would work or not. Other that catching a slot or doing a "walk-in" there's no way to expedite getting an interview time.

Edited by Randyk47

Keep checking frequently, like at least twice a day, to see if a time opens up. I went from not being able to book an appointment closer than 90 days to catching an open slot a week or so out by checking a couple of times a day every day for two or three days. Some have had success dropping by an interview office and doing a "walk-in" but others have reported their local office will not accept or do "walk-ins" so hard to say if that would work or not. Other that catching a slot or doing a "walk-in" there's no way to expedite getting an interview time.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep checking. We have to travel quite a distance s dropping in is not an option for us.

Be aware that the airline on which you are flying must participate in the TSA PreCheck program in order for you to receive it. We learned that when we flew direct from MCO (orlando, FL) to London, Gatwick on Virgin Atlantic (we had a friend flying on British Airways at the same time). Neither airline participates in TSA Pre-check so, even though there was a TSA Pre-Check line available at the TSA security area we had to go through, because we were flying on a non-participating airline, we had to go through regular security. None of the Virgin staff had even heard of Global Entry, but we finally found someone at TSA who explained it to us. I believe some of the more "discounted" American airlines (like Spirit) do not participate in the program either. This is a list of the airlines that participate, as of May 2016, from the TSA website: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

We live in western Wisconsin and got our letter to schedule an appointment a few weeks ago. I immediately went to the calendar and the earliest time was January 4 at either Minneapolis or Milwaukee. We needed to have appointments on the same day since it would be a day long process to drive, do the appointment and drive home. Unbelievable!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once you have GE conditional approval and a scheduled appointment, how do you check for cancellations without cancelling your scheduled appointment?

You don't cancel your booked appointment just by checking for better dates/times. If there isn't a better date/time just exit without picking a date/time and leave your appointment as is.

I got the TSA precheck because we don't do a lot of international travel but I wish I would have gotten Global Entry....and I will.

You should not travel without one or the other.

If you have Global you have TSA precheck.

Again Precheck and Global is not a guarantee of getting PreCheck on your ticket but it greatly improves your odds

....that said I haven't heard of anyone not getting it...unless they didn't give the airline their Known Traveler Number (KTN)

Filling out everything online and then just showing up to an IdentiGo center (about 1/2 hour) I had my Known Traveler number within 4 days.

As someone noted already if you get the AMEX platinum card for $400 it will pay for 2 Global entry, a $200 value. If you sign up you may also get up to 100,000 points

....not to mention you get presale for HAMILTON tickets!

We are flying to Barcelona in Sept.

Our reservations and profiles at United just show our middle initials, but our GOES and passports show our full middle names.

I sent a request to United to change our profile from middle initials to full middle names, but I'm not sure if that would change our existing reservation.

If it doesn't, will this create a problem using TSA PRecheck and Global Entry for our next trip?

We are flying to Barcelona in Sept.

Our reservations and profiles at United just show our middle initials, but our GOES and passports show our full middle names.

I sent a request to United to change our profile from middle initials to full middle names, but I'm not sure if that would change our existing reservation.

If it doesn't, will this create a problem using TSA PRecheck and Global Entry for our next trip?

I think as long as the number and name match it will be fine. I've head of troubles but I have had my middle initial on and off and it hasn't mattered.

I was scheduled to have my interview and wound up in the ER with chest pain. Thank God everything was fine. It's tough getting old. I tried to call the airport and could not get through until after I was scheduled. I was told to just reschedule on line and there would be no problem. We live very close to Newark and they had plenty of slots when I first booked the appointment. When I tried to reschedule, there were no openings at all which I found odd. I had to schedule at JFK which is horrible in every respect. I kept checking back and Newark opened up. The issue is that Newark had 20 minute slots and the new schedules were for 15 minute slots so i guess it was a formatting issue. Anyway, we are rescheduled. If you can, I would suggest Newark if possible because the wait is only 4 to 6 weeks. And, they have Saturday and Sunday.

I think as long as the number and name match it will be fine. I've head of troubles but I have had my middle initial on and off and it hasn't mattered.

Thanks for the reply!

bphman-glad to hear everything is ok with your health. Must have been very scary.