Princess Moves to Galveston?!?

bjcourt

I know that Princess will no longer be in Houston (Bayport), and I heard they would be moving to Galveston! Does anybody know anything about this move...and when will it be happening? Norweigan and Princess are currently ported in Houston until April 16th....then what??? Thanks!!

I know that Princess will no longer be in Houston (Bayport), and I heard they would be moving to Galveston! Does anybody know anything about this move...and when will it be happening? Norweigan and Princess are currently ported in Houston until April 16th....then what??? Thanks!!

The question is, where did you hear this and is it a reliable source??

I definitely question the reliability of any article that saysany shils are currently ported in Houston.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

"That says any ships" darn night shift brain

Don't they have the schedules posted into 2017 on the Princess website? Maybe I missed something, but I thought they were just repositioning ships and there would be no sailings from Texas in the near future. I too would be curious where this information came from.

Edited by Paula_MacFan

It's a rumor...nothing more. Galveston is building a third terminal, and there's been some chatter about a different line coming in when that happens.

I definitely question the reliability of any article that saysany shils are currently ported in Houston.

Princess and Norwegian both have ships sailing from Houston through April of this year. They aren't returning for another season.

Princess has been there done that.

Me too.

The cruise terminal at Galveston was horrible but if they are building a new one that would be a great improvement.

Most everyone complains about the very long ride from either of Houston's airports.

I would be really surprised if Princess returns as those ports have not been good for the bottom line.

Mike:)

Well it is certainly easier to get to for us West Coasters then FL. But then again the weather. :(

I've never cruised out of either port in Texas but not to say I didn't make an attempt a few times. When comparing the costs and adding everything up, we always found it less expensive to fly to Fla from the west coast, at least from SFO. Why not try different ports used by other cruise lines in the past such as Mobile or NOLA? I would LOVE to cruise out of New Orleans again. It's such an exciting cruise port.

I've never cruised out of either port in Texas but not to say I didn't make an attempt a few times. When comparing the costs and adding everything up, we always found it less expensive to fly to Fla from the west coast, at least from SFO. Why not try different ports used by other cruise lines in the past such as Mobile or NOLA? I would LOVE to cruise out of New Orleans again. It's such an exciting cruise port.

True, it is a fun place to visit. However, I have always wondered why people complain so much about having to travel up the ship channel in Houston when it takes 8 hours to travel the Mississippi from the gulf to N.O.

We went out of New Orleans several years ago. A tropical storm formed at the mouth of the Mississippi after we left and the Corps of Engineers closed the river. Our 7 day cruise turned into a 10 day cruise because we couldn't get back. Sounds good, but we spent the last 3 days rolling around the gulf looking for sunshine!

Edited by QueenofEverything

True, it is a fun place to visit. However, I have always wondered why people complain so much about having to travel up the ship channel in Houston when it takes 8 hours to travel the Mississippi from the gulf to N.O.

We went out of New Orleans several years ago. A tropical storm formed at the mouth of the Mississippi after we left and the Corps of Engineers closed the river. Our 7 day cruise turned into a 10 day cruise because we couldn't get back. Sounds good, but we spent the last 3 days rolling around the gulf looking for sunshine!

I cruised out of NOLA only once and never got to see the river due to heavy fog. :rolleyes: In fact we left late because of it. We must have been asleep on the way back into the port. It was a very early arrival. I wonder if fog is a common problem with cruising out of there.

Princess has been there and done that too. :(

Princess was in Galveston the first part of the last decade but left after the 2006 season. The returned in 2012 out of Galveston before moving the following year to Bayport after Houston offered them a very nice financial package (NCL received one as well) to move to the new never really used passenger terminal. Houston did not offer them as lucrative package though for the next years so Princess (and NCL) are leaving again. I have not heard anything about Princess returning to Galveston although they may do it sometime in the future.

Houston/Galveston is within easy driving distance of our home (about 4 hours on freeway). CCL has Galveston fairly tied up with two ships there year around. Lately RCCL has a ship there year around as well. It would appear the market is close to being saturated.

The major problem with Galveston is that it is 45 miles to HOU and 70 miles to IAH through the center of Houston. There are over 6 million in the Houston area. Galveston is an island with one main bridge connecting it to Houston. Major congestion on the freeway and bridge to the island is frequent particularly on nice days. Also there is a small bridge that eventually will get you to Houston.

I would love to hear Princess is coming back to the area, but it does not appear to be happening in the near future.

I guess I don't understand your point.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston the last week in Jan. Really like the port of Houston. I have taken a cruise from Galveston but much prefer Houston. I asked the Future Cruise Sales person if Princess was going to stay in the Midwest. He said not in 2016, or 2017. I hope that we do not have to go all the way to either coast to take a Princess Cruise. I hope they decide to stay in Houston, but if not they should choose Galveston, NOLA, or Mobile. I want to take another Princess, but do not want to go all the way to southern FL or the west coast. Princess is my favorite line and I will take another cruise with them as soon as they return to the central US. I hope Jan Swartz is listening :).

I was just on the Caribbean Princess out of Houston the last week in Jan. Really like the port of Houston. I have taken a cruise from Galveston but much prefer Houston. I asked the Future Cruise Sales person if Princess was going to stay in the Midwest. He said not in 2016, or 2017. I hope that we do not have to go all the way to either coast to take a Princess Cruise. I hope they decide to stay in Houston, but if not they should choose Galveston, NOLA, or Mobile. I want to take another Princess, but do not want to go all the way to southern FL or the west coast. Princess is my favorite line and I will take another cruise with them as soon as they return to the central US. I hope Jan Swartz is listening :).

I WISH New Orleans could be a port for Princess! It is absolutely the most fun port to go out of, but unfortunately cannot accommodate the large ships. We did a Norwegian out of there only because it is about 7 hrs from us.