Do you request your own table during dinner?

MexicoMark

My wife and I are trying to decide if we want to request our own table during dinner or do we just let Disney group us up with another family. It would be nice to get grouped up with another family that had kids the same age as my 5yr and 2.5yr old so that they can make friends on-board. Another side of me says what if we get stuck with an awkward group and we spend the next four nights starring at each other. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic.

My wife and I are trying to decide if we want to request our own table during dinner or do we just let Disney group us up with another family. It would be nice to get grouped up with another family that had kids the same age as my 5yr and 2.5yr old so that they can make friends on-board. Another side of me says what if we get stuck with an awkward group and we spend the next four nights starring at each other. I would love to hear your thoughts and experiences on this topic.

We've never requested a table by ourselves. DCL is quite good about matching tablemates.

If you get "stuck" with a group that doesn't work for you, just talk to the head server. They can help get you reassigned to either another table (with others or not, as you wish).

We like to eat as a family. While we enjoy socializing, we've had enough 'duds' at dinner tables that we prefer to socialize at activities rather than in the dining room. Also, we tend to be 'fast' eaters, and hate waiting around for others who prefer a slower pace. We've never had a problem getting a table for 4 for our family.

We request a table to ourselves. The kids want to spend all day in the kid's clubs or in the pool, so dinner is our "family" time to sit and talk. When it has been just DH and myself, we look forward to a more intimate dinner.

We've done it both ways, and each had good and bad points. In general, we prefer to dine as a family. That way, you aren't waiting for others who may be late, etc. as well as having time to reconnect after your day of varied activities.

On the other hand, DCL is very good at matching up similar ages and we've had some dinner companions who became great friends.

How do you request your own table?

On our cruise last year, we were put with a family of five (3 boys and the two parents) and we totally didn't mesh AT ALL... and here I thought I could get along with anyone... by the third night, things were REALLY uncomfortable and awkward. Thankfully (for that reason alone) it was only a 3 night cruise. I'm willing to try it again because maybe that first time was a fluke, and we like meeting people from different places, but if it's not a big deal to request your own table, maybe we will do that.

How do you request your own table?

On our cruise last year, we were put with a family of five (3 boys and the two parents) and we totally didn't mesh AT ALL... and here I thought I could get along with anyone... by the third night, things were REALLY uncomfortable and awkward. Thankfully (for that reason alone) it was only a 3 night cruise. I'm willing to try it again because maybe that first time was a fluke, and we like meeting people from different places, but if it's not a big deal to request your own table, maybe we will do that.

Just call DCL and have the request placed on your reservation. They'll give you the "it's just a request, yada, yada, yada", but just agree and ask for the request to be placed there.

If you used a TA, then they are the ones who must contact DCL to have the request put on the reservation.

As above, all it takes is a phone call to DCL to request your own table. Ignore the speech, just ask them to note the request on the reservation. After you board, go to "Dining Changes" to be sure you got the request or see whether it can be met at that point.

If you don't mesh with a family you are seated with, talk to the head server on the first night. They will move you.

We shared a table with another family on our first cruise and quite enjoyed having others to speak with.

On our sailing last year, we had a table to ourselves, so the dinner conversation went something like this:

"So... how was your day?"

"Pretty much exactly the same as yours..."

Followed by silence.

At home, at least we have our days at work and school to discuss over dinner - on the ship, we were together all day doing the exact same things, so not a whole lot to talk about.

Just call DCL and have the request placed on your reservation. They'll give you the "it's just a request, yada, yada, yada", but just agree and ask for the request to be placed there.

If you used a TA, then they are the ones who must contact DCL to have the request put on the reservation.

I called DCL and they gave me the yada yada. They noted my request and told me I would know when I board if it was granted. Thanks again.

We loved our table assignment on our Panama Canal cruise last year. Disney did an AMAZING job pairing is up with a family similar to ours (we were a group of 5, in 3 generations) and were paired with another 3-generational familiar you of 5 with kids the same age as our son. The matching was *so* good that it turns out that we had colleges and home towns in common, even though we now live across the country.

We liked our table mates so much that we spent a lot of time with them outside of dinner and we got together for dinner every night of the 14 night cruise because we looked forward to their company.

So, FWIW: try it! You just might like it. Worst case, you can switch tables if you are unhappy.

Doesn't that make things awkward though? Asking to be seated alone AFTER you already decided that the family you were sitting with was subpar, or nasty, or funny looking, or smelled bad? Do they give you another dining rotation? or do you actually get another table and you end up sitting across the room from the Subpars?

Doesn't that make things awkward though? Asking to be seated alone AFTER you already decided that the family you were sitting with was subpar, or nasty, or funny looking, or smelled bad? Do they give you another dining rotation? or do you actually get another table and you end up sitting across the room from the Subpars?

Typically, you will be seated in another area of the dining room, or a different rotation. You could also be switched to the "other" seating, if necessary. The dining rooms are quite large, and being seated in a different area, even on the same rotation/seating time, chances are you won't run into each other.

Edited by Shmoo here

Honestly, it is rare to run into the family you were separated from. At the very least, you are moved to another part of the dining room. You may have a change of rotation or dining time, but this is a bit more rare. Bottom line, they will never know why you asked to be moved--maybe it was as simple as "we thought we'd be at a table with just our family and that's what we wanted." The staff will never say how or why the move, only that it happened. If you see them around the ship, there is no obligation for interaction.

We enjoy tablemates....lets face it...hubby and I talk all the time, we eat together ALL the time...having new folks to chat with makes dinner special!

This may be true for you ,but what about the couple who work all day and maybe travel for work and pass like ships in the night in their everyday life. For them the "specialness" of dinner just might be a table for two and talking just to each other. You really need to think outside your personal box.