WWF Replaces Make a Wish?

yogimax

I must admit that makes me a little disappointed in them. I wonder what the reasoning was?

The only reasoning I can think of is supporting WWF goes with their business model. Supporting an environmental charity that helps maintain the ocean is more in line with what Royal Caribbean wants to do.

The only reasoning I can think of is supporting WWF goes with their business model. Supporting an environmental charity that helps maintain the ocean is more in line with what Royal Caribbean wants to do.

I agree. And if you read the whole article, they mention several times that the ocean is their livelihood, hence the conservation efforts.

BOO! I love animals but I love kids more. Shame on RCCL.

Has it been officially announced the Make a Wish has been abandoned? I think the move make sense. I like the partnership. I wouldn't shame Royal for the move. But, I'd love for them to support kids, also.

Are we sure that Make A Wish didn't end the relationship (if it has ended)?

I don't know the reason for the Make A Wish divorce, but I've not seen any mention of it on our last 3 cruises.

I don't know the reason for the Make A Wish divorce, but I've not seen any mention of it on our last 3 cruises.

That is fair enough. If the relationship has ended, it could have been a mutual or something Make A Wish has initiated. However, if there is evidence Royal has ended it, it would be interesting to know why...but not essential to know.

Today's email seems to indicate that RCCL has partnered with the World Wildlife Fund and dropped Make a Wish.

Both are excellent charities. I'm just a little disappointed RCCL has chosen fish over children!

I agree, the founder of make a wish was on our cruise on 2013 on Navigator and they had a walk and sold t-shirts and beach towels

Bad decision. Make-A-Wish helps children/families at home. World Wildlife Fund buys who knows what. I hope its not fancy homes, airplanes and cars for management or money to help save endangered toads in Brazil. I smell a black hole. I will give $500 to Make a Wish. $0 for the feastivus fund.

The Cruise director on Jewel last week did announce Make A Wish was ending as that was the reason they only had limited sizes in the T-Shirts.

Today's email seems to indicate that RCCL has partnered with the World Wildlife Fund and dropped Make a Wish.

Both are excellent charities. I'm just a little disappointed RCCL has chosen fish over children!

Oh, World Wildlife, not pro wrestling. You got me all excited! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad decision. Make-A-Wish helps children/families at home. World Wildlife Fund buys who knows what. I hope its not fancy homes, airplanes and cars for management or money to help save endangered toads in Brazil. I smell a black hole. I will give $500 to Make a Wish. $0 for the feastivus fund.

Actually if you check the charities they are pretty much identical on how well they are run. Both are 74.7% towards the beneficiaries, a pretty good score.

To compare and contrast the Red Cross is 90.3% and Wounded Warriors is 59.9%

Data pulled from http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Recommend using the site before you contribute to any charity. There are some really "great idea" charities out there that most of the contribution goes toward admin and advertising and not towards who it is meant for.

Actually if you check the charities they are pretty much identical on how well they are run. Both are 74.7% towards the beneficiaries, a pretty good score.

To compare and contrast the Red Cross is 90.3% and Wounded Warriors is 59.9%

Data pulled from http://www.charitynavigator.org/

Recommend using the site before you contribute to any charity. There are some really "great idea" charities out there that most of the contribution goes toward admin and advertising and not towards who it is meant for.

THIS! Great post. We always check things out on Charity Navigator. Some charities that sound all warm and fuzzy are quite wasteful and/or their top executives are so overpaid that they are almost scams. Charity Navigator let's you know who the real good guys are.

There are different rating services for charities. The Red Cross has been strongly criticized for their executive pay. But that's not my point. I worked with cancer patients for over 25 years. Just visit the 5th floor of Sloan-Kettering Hospital. Your heart will go out to the kids.

As I originally said, while WWF is a noble cause, I'll take the kids over the fish.

From the Royal Insider Newsletter received today. Sounds almost like an extension of Save the Waves.

Royal Caribbean and World Wildlife Fund

Partnering to preserve our oceans.

Oceans are more than water – they're home to some of our most

majestic, unique and threatened wildlife. That's why we've teamed

up with one of the world's leading conservation organizations to help

conserve our oceans and protect marine life.

Learn More http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=ed18dbc6b25742acb82c23591a66f6a48c1368773d664624df344b3796797622902005f18ea13585

Edited by cruisenfever

From the Royal Insider Newsletter received today. Sounds almost like an extension of Save the Waves.

Royal Caribbean and World Wildlife Fund

Partnering to preserve our oceans.

Oceans are more than water – they're home to some of our most

majestic, unique and threatened wildlife. That's why we've teamed

up with one of the world's leading conservation organizations to help

conserve our oceans and protect marine life.

Learn More http://click.royalcaribbeanmarketing.com/?qs=ed18dbc6b25742acb82c23591a66f6a48c1368773d664624df344b3796797622902005f18ea13585

That is quite funny really when RCI seemed to have quite a bit of unsustainable seafood species on their menu.

The one which really surprised me was they were serving Orange Roughy which is about as unsustainable as you can get (To me it's like having Panda Steaks with Tiger Kidneys) I happened to meet up with the Food & Beverage Manager and raised my concerns. He had no idea that a commercial sized fish would be about 50 to 70 years old.

Then again these things are not meant to be taken seriously ... it's all about the feel good factor, PR and Tax Deductions.

I wonder if part of the decision making process was taking into account how well known the charities are to passengers?

Make A Wish is very well known in the Us and probably Canada, maybe the UK? But, while it is technically an international organization, granting wishes worldwide, it is very small outside of North America and is not a recognizable name to most of the passengers from mainland Europe, Asia, South America, etc.

WWF is much more widely known from a global perspective.

Personally, I'm not a fan of any of it. I give to charities at home. A large company like Royal should be doing a lot more charitable work than it does. But even more so, they don't need to deputize me into their process. I'm on vacation, I want to relax and enjoy myself.

I though the Make a Wish event was pretty low key on a cruise ship so it never bothered me. Sometimes I bought a T and sometimes not. I never felt obligated.