Toronto to Anchorage

lastrooney

Hi all…

We're looking into an Alaska cruise….not too sure which line and what is available right now. But we do know we want to go south from Anchorage to Vancouver.

What is the most common way to get to Anchorage from Toronto?

Let me edit the above…

What is the most common air travel route to get from Toronto to Anchorage?

There are a few options like:

Toronto - Vancouver - Anchorage.

Toronto - Seattle - Anchorage

Those are with Air Canada

Just don't be stupid like I was years ago (2003?) and fail to realize just how long a flight it is to Anchorage. We were living in Key West at the time and left there at 7 am and got to Anchorage around 8 pm. Flew EYW>MIA>ORD>ANC.....I thought once we got to Chicago we were just about there...then the United Flight Attendant said something about our six hour flight!:eek: It was then I realized just how far away Anchorage was from Key West. I never felt so dumb in my life!:D

There are a few options like:

Toronto - Vancouver - Anchorage.

Toronto - Seattle - Anchorage

Those are with Air Canada

Toronto - Seattle - Anchorage would not be all with Air Canada. Toronto to Seattle is Air Canada, but you would need to take a different airline from Seattle to Anchorage (Alaska or Delta). A seemless connection via SEA can be difficult because Air Canada does not partner with either Alaska or Delta.

Alaska Airlines does sell Toronto to Anchorage, but will put you on American Airlines out of Toronto. At best, they'll route you via Los Angeles (YYZ-LAX-ANC), but most routings have two stops (such as YYZ-Chicago-SEA-ANC).

If you can get on the seasonal (not year-round) Vancouver to Anchorage flight on Rouge, that might be best...but if not, it becomes somewhat tricky to get from Toronto to Anchorage.

Thank you all..... I appreciate your suggestions.... Looks like Toronto to Vancouver to Anchorage is the best route for us!

Clay....I had no idea either, but do now, thanks to Cruise Critic! Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flying YYZ-YVR-ANC is 3415 miles, about 141 shorter than YYZ-LHR. Yes, it is far away, even from Seattle. ANC-SEA is about the same as YYZ to Havana.

One big caveat against flying via YVR is that you are kinda stuck if you miss the connection to ANC, with there only being one flight YVR-ANC. Going via SEA gives you many more alternatives if you have problems along the way. But you would likely have an additional connect enroute to SEA. Or, as mentioned, routing via LAX. That adds about 1000 miles, but then you have lots of options to SEA and ANC.

You may also ask if you want to fly Rouge...some reports indicate it is less than comfortable, especially for longer segments. Only you can make that decision, but you should consider that aspect.

Good luck.

Toronto - Seattle - Anchorage would not be all with Air Canada. Toronto to Seattle is Air Canada, but you would need to take a different airline from Seattle to Anchorage (Alaska or Delta). A seemless connection via SEA can be difficult because Air Canada does not partner with either Alaska or Delta.

Alaska Airlines does sell Toronto to Anchorage, but will put you on American Airlines out of Toronto. At best, they'll route you via Los Angeles (YYZ-LAX-ANC), but most routings have two stops (such as YYZ-Chicago-SEA-ANC).

If you can get on the seasonal (not year-round) Vancouver to Anchorage flight on Rouge, that might be best...but if not, it becomes somewhat tricky to get from Toronto to Anchorage.

Air Canada does interline with both Alaska and Delta. Having a single ticket with airlines from different alliances is quite feasible and still very common. Where you run into problems is if you have two different tickets.

Flying YYZ-YVR-ANC is 3415 miles, about 141 shorter than YYZ-LHR. Yes, it is far away, even from Seattle. ANC-SEA is about the same as YYZ to Havana.

One big caveat against flying via YVR is that you are kinda stuck if you miss the connection to ANC, with there only being one flight YVR-ANC. Going via SEA gives you many more alternatives if you have problems along the way. But you would likely have an additional connect enroute to SEA. Or, as mentioned, routing via LAX. That adds about 1000 miles, but then you have lots of options to SEA and ANC.

You may also ask if you want to fly Rouge...some reports indicate it is less than comfortable, especially for longer segments. Only you can make that decision, but you should consider that aspect.

Good luck.

And without benefit of knowing the connection times in YVR, connecting in SEA means you clear US immigration in Toronto at the start of the journey, rather than YVR in the middle of it.