C. Freedom 2/8/16 - Getting to the ship

Mjw4304

We tried the Carnival transfers but waited a long time in the airport for other planes to arrive and fill up the bus. Next time I will bite the bullet and get a taxi. I unsuccessfully tried to find a rental car company that would let me drop the car off in Galveston.

Hi - we are coming in to Houston on 2/7 and looking for a cheap way to get to Galveston port. Any ideas? Can be reach via my user name at hotmail. Thanks!!

Mike

Transportation is not cheap from Houston to Galveston. Bring lots of cash.:cool:

We were on the Magic last summer and used Galveston Express. It was shared van and the cost for all 3 of us was $55 each way.

When they picked us up at the airport, they were about an hour late but it was private suburban that picked us up.

The way back after the cruise was a shared van and they were again late, so something to think about with your flight time.

Unbelievably, it was cheaper for us to hire a rental car and pay for parking (while we are on the cruise) than it was to use a shuttle (and waste a HUGE amount of time waiting for buses/communal vans to "fill up"). Seriously. I've heard very bad things about most of the shuttle companies, and then we'd still need a taxi to take us to the terminal from our hotel (on the other side of the Island). Then we'd have no way of getting around - as we fly in the day before...and when we get off the ship we don't fly out out IAH until 6pm. Instead of dealing with all the trouble...we just rented a car (compact or larger - they choose) and paid for parking at Park N Cruise (plus some fuel). They need to come up with some better transportation options from Houston to Galveston. The majority of cruisers must drive to this port, bc the hassle to get here via air is silly.

Edited by turboteacher

Galveston Express shuttle is the way to go in my opinion but I won't ever go out of Galveston again. Wasn't impressed. Too inconvenient not having the airport close to the port like most others. I'm used to flying in and having a short cab ride to terminal. Then having to pay taxes for duty free booze on debarkation on top of the extra charges for shuttles/taxi's etc. No thanks. Lots of other options.