10:40 flight our of Galveston

seaandsea

Possible if you self disembark. Go to Guest Services and let them know you have to be first off and they will arrange it.

How are you getting back to Houston? You'll need an hour for transportation/getting luggage etc. but you can walk off at 7:30 and be through customs in less than 30 mins if you get porter for luggage.

It can be done but it will be extremely tight. Noon would be better.

That's pretty close. We cruised out of galveston last year and had the first self-assist walk-off and we got past customs a little after 8am. It also depends on the time of year. Galveston is known for fog in the winter and that has delayed them getting into port. A coworker had that happen last year on the navigator. They weren't able to get off until around noon and they were also in the first self-assist walk-off group.

I would say it's a bit risky, but if the ship docks on time, and you make sure you're among the first wave off the ship, and you have no problems with customs, and your transportation to the airport is timely, you should make it.

There are a number of variables that could cause you not to make it, though. I would say it's okay, as long as you're the type to not stress too much, and go with the flow, if something comes up. For example, Galveston is notorious for having fog issues at certain times of the year that can cause delays with the ships getting in/out.

Would not recommend a flight earlier than 12:30PM.

• Being that you did not mention the date. December, January and February fog could be an issue with the ship docking late.
  • Depending on traffic it's at least an hour plus drive to Hobby
  • From my experience disembarkation is not the more organized at the Port of Galveston.

Edited by xxoocruiser

That would be too early for my stress level.

If I was doing it, I'd make sure that I got a porter ASAP, because they can make the customs process faster, and I would arrange a private car service.

Would not recommend a flight earlier than 12:30PM.

• Being that you did not mention the date. December, January and February fog could be an issue with the ship docking late.
  • Depending on traffic it's at least an hour plus drive to Hobby
  • From my experience disembarkation is not the more organized at the Port of Galveston.

My thoughts exactly.

Houston is well known for construction lane closures on the weekends.

Unless you are talking several $100's of dollars difference... there isn't a chance I'd book a flight that early for a Galveston sailing.

It is theoretically possible, but there are so many variables involved it just isn't worth it.

Things to keep in mind that frequently cause delays in Galveston:

1. Time of year (November-March = fog delays very possible)

2. Cruise itinerary (Belize, Honduras = frequent CBP delays)

These aren't the only things that will cause a delay, but there is a high probability of a delay in Galveston with either of those. If both of those apply to you... well chances are really good you will be delayed.

We're going to try to do the 10:40am flight from Hobby to Denver when we get back the first Sunday in April (fog season should be over by then). The plan is to be in line early for self-disembark, only have carry-on baggage, and grab a taxi at the port as opposed to trying to schedule something. The difference in cost was several hundred dollars so we're going to give it a shot. We're aware of the risks, and we're prepared to deal with it if we don't make the flight.

That taxi will cost you a small fortune. I'd recommend Galveston express which is around $25 a person one way. But you have to reserve it.

Just did an estimator for taxi it said $122.60 that's 50 miles you know.

Edited by BecciBoo

We are going for a 10:30 flight. On the 21st of February. We have a private car service scheduled to pick us up at 8:00. I am hopeful that we can make it. Taking that flight is saving the three of us $750 compared to the later flights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That taxi will cost you a small fortune. I'd recommend Galveston express which is around $25 a person one way. But you have to reserve it.

Just did an estimator for taxi it said $122.60 that's 50 miles you know.

Four people one way and it's a difference of $22.60 to hop right into a taxi vs. waiting around for Galveston Express. I already contacted them about a private shuttle and it was much more.

We did it in January. We rented a car and parked it in the garage directly across the street. We did the self carry off and were the first in line that morning. It was Sunday morning and there was not a lot of traffic, drove to the car rental terminal, dropped off the car and they took us to the airport. The ship let us depart at 7:30. Good luck.

We used the private car service from Super Shuttle, and I believe that was right around $100.

I'm going to check that one out. The whole key is being able to leave immediately when we get out the door.

Edited by mil76

Cutting it a little close, I think. We just did Carnival Magic in January. We had no fog so docked early. We did self disembarkation and had parking across the street at Galveston Park and Cruise. We were on the road headed to the airport, to drop off brother and SIL, at 8:15 AM.

Being a Sunday AM we breezed right through to the airport in 45 minutes. We dropped them at the curb at 9:00. Depending on how port customs works (ours went smoothly), how the taxi ride goes, how traffic is, how TSA (hope to have pre-check) is, then you should be fine.

The advice to use a porter would be essential at Galveston. For some reason at this port, if you keep your own luggage for customs, the line goes on forever. If you get a porter, they walk you to a different line. We had two people in from of us at customs with the porter.

We booked the cruise line bus transportation and it was very slow leaving. It may have been just that day, but we waited almost an hour to board and for the bus to leave. We were flying from Houston Hobby, which is closer. Unloading the bus, our luggage was the last they pulled off the bus - more bad luck. If you book the bus, you cannot self assist, also, because the busses do not arrive that early.

We had a 12:00 noon flight on Southwest. Their check-in was very efficient and there was no line. We were lucky to have TSA Pre on our boarding pass and avoided the long security line. We got to our gate 20 minutes before they boarded the plane.

For a flight as early as yours, you would need all the luck in the world. Getting off the ship at Galveston was not as smooth as at other ports.