What ships have best Sanctuary?

jasbo49

We've never tried the Sanctuary on a Princess ship, but I'd like to give it a whirl sometime. I'm pretty sure not all Sanctuaries are equal. An example would be the Island, which we recently sailed. It has no pool nearby.

For those who have spent a little time in the Sanctuary on various ships, which ones did you like best? Important factors for us would be a choice between sun and shade and having a pool nearby.

We have the Crown booked in late February (Mexican Riviera) and the Regal booked twice later in the year, a September Transatlantic and a December Caribbean cruise. Any of those seem like a good time to sample it?

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

We've never tried the Sanctuary on a Princess ship, but I'd like to give it a whirl sometime. I'm pretty sure not all Sanctuaries are equal. An example would be the Island, which we recently sailed. It has no pool nearby.

For those who have spent a little time in the Sanctuary on various ships, which ones did you like best? Important factors for us would be a choice between sun and shade and having a pool nearby.

We have the Crown booked in late February (Mexican Riviera) and the Regal booked twice later in the year, a September Transatlantic and a December Caribbean cruise. Any of those seem like a good time to sample it?

Jim

We've booked the Sanctuary on 2 Ruby Princess cruises and 2 Royal Princess cruises (for the entire cruises). We found the area much nicer on the Royal (and sister ship Regal) for the same price.

Edited by capriccio

I've done the Sanctuary on many different Princess ships and IMHO, the best one is on the Coral because it's aft, protected from the wind, has an overhang so you are also protected from rain and sun, and there's a small pool. It's the only Sanctuary with a pool. The Island Sanctuary is similar only when the ship was remodeled, the Sanctuary pool was removed and about half of the Sanctuary itself.

Of the other ships, I think the Royal/Regal Sanctuaries are better as they're larger, accessible without having to go up or down steps, and the Retreat pool is just outside the entrance to the Sanctuary. But like all of the other Sanctuaries, they are forward so you can get a lot of wind and it can be very chilly on some itineraries. The negative to the Royal/Regal Sanctuaries are the cabanas which have TVs and very inconsiderate people who book these blast the TVs so everyone gets to hear the noise and it's hardly a quiet sanctuary.

Edited by Pam in CA

Jim

We've used the Sanctuary on a number of ships, and hands down, for us, the Regal/Royal version wins out. We've been in both. Just seems a bit nicer and more refined. Based on your desire for water nearby, I'd still give the nod to the Royal/Regal, which has the Retreat pool just outside, while the pool outside the Sanctuary on some of the "smaller" ships we've been on, like the Ruby, looks like a glorified hot tub to us in comparison.

Two cautions, however if you are on the Royal/Regal: There are more chairs out in the sun, and less shade in general, and we have an aversion to full sun. Finding seats in the shade can be a bit of a challenge. Also, the Sanctuary on the Ruby, Crown, etc, feels a bit more open and seems a bit less "tight" than on the Royal or Regal.

Either way, it's a great place to relax, and service is excellent. Just get there early, they sell out fast. I personally wouldn't ever think of getting the Sanctuary on a TA (you're at the bow, so would probably be cold and windy), but for a Caribbean trip, ABSOLUTELY.

The negative to the Royal/Regal Sanctuaries are the cabanas which have TVs and very inconsiderate people who book these blast the TVs so everyone gets to hear the noise and it's hardly a quiet sanctuary.

Pam - if that ever happens to you again, be aware that each cabana (we were upgraded to one on the Royal Princess for the second cruise on a B2B) has headphones (not that we ever watched the TV). Ask the Sanctuary manager to provide them to the occupants of the cabana (DH remembers them locked up in the cabana storage area but the staff will provide them immediately).

I'll echo everyone else. The current configuration on the Coral is by far the best, with the private pool and aft location.

The mutilated Island would be my second choice, no pool but still aft.

Then the Royal/Regal because of space and location and bit better wind blocking than some.

I'll echo everyone else. The current configuration on the Coral is by far the best, with the private pool and aft location.

The mutilated Island would be my second choice, no pool but still aft.

Then the Royal/Regal because of space and location and bit better wind blocking than some.

Is the Sanctuary on the Island covered or completely exposed to the sun? Do I have to bring my hat while sitting there?

I can't be sure since the remodel, but there was a fairly large shaded section on the lower deck, plus the cabanas on the upper (those go EARLY, we raced on board to get them).

This was the lower deck PRE-REFIT...

Panama2011Card6-7-X2.jpg

Cabanas PRE-REFIT...

Panama2011Card6-3-X2.jpg

Panama2011Card6-5-X2.jpg

We had this one on the end.

Is the Sanctuary on the Island covered or completely exposed to the sun? Do I have to bring my hat while sitting there?

Pam - if that ever happens to you again, be aware that each cabana (we were upgraded to one on the Royal Princess for the second cruise on a B2B) has headphones (not that we ever watched the TV). Ask the Sanctuary manager to provide them to the occupants of the cabana (DH remembers them locked up in the cabana storage area but the staff will provide them immediately).
They had them. The occupants weren't even watching the TVs but were lounging outside on loungers talking to friends with whom they were sharing the cabanas. I should have complained to the Manager. :(

Rumor has it after first refit the TVs are going to have audio disabled and require headphone use.

They had them. The occupants weren't even watching the TVs but were lounging outside on loungers talking to friends with whom they were sharing the cabanas. I should have complained to the Manager. :(

Rumor has it after first refit the TVs are going to have audio disabled and require headphone use.
I sure hope so!

Anyone remember when the Sea Princess was retrofitted with MUTS and the only way to hear MUTS was with earbuds provided in every cabin? Didn't last. :(

Thanks for posting so I could play with your dog! :D Such silly fun...why is it that I can't just let him run after the ball?? I must bring him back with the cookie offer that I can't resist!! Cute fun! Keeps me busy for a few minutes instead of thinking, oh boy! oh boy! 52 days till we're on the Island! oh boy! oh boy!