Rome tour

tiggywig123

Hi I wonder if anyone can help..

6 of us have booked a tour for our cruise day in Rome. It will pick us up from the ship and drop us in to the heart of Rome - at the Colosseum apparently - and then pick us back up again from St Peter's Square. Obviously we want to see the main sights - Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Vatican, possibly Piazza Navona for a stop.

Does anybody have any advice on the best way to go about this? Is it walkable or is that too much of an ask? There will be a wide range of ages.. from 25 to 91! The 91 year old is fit and active, but I'm still not sure the best way about doing this day. If walking isn't advised, does anybody have any other suggestions?

TIA :)

Edited to say - the day we visit is Ash Wednesday. Will that have a negative impact on our stay?

Edited by tiggywig123
Added info

I saw your post earlier but didn't respond because I'm confused. You say you booked a tour, but it sounds like you just have a driver to drop you off and pick you up -- is that the case? Or do you have a car at your disposal all day? And/or a guide?

You could potentially walk all of it, though the Vatican is a fair distance from the other sites. If you plan it well, you can see the more central sites and then take a taxi for a short ride to the Vatican -- or more than one taxi, since your group doesn't sound small. There's a taxi stand right next to the Pantheon.

There have been several really detailed posts here of people who planned a similar day of sightseeing, you might try a search for one by Cathy Cruises (she has posted it more than once).

Honestly, I'd skip the Spanish Steps -- they are not a major site.

Walkable, subject to time available.

Increase that available time by buying your 3-stop (Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Forum) tickets on-line before you go, the queue for tickets at the Colosseum is usually pretty horrendous.

Or, if you're British / EU and over 60, tickets are free (other concessions for students, teachers etc, see the website) but I think you need to get them on-the-spot, in which case get the driver to drop you (or wait for you) at the entrance to Palatine Hill where there's usually no queue. Take govt issued proof of age, eg passports. If the driver won't wait, it's only a short downhill walk to the Colosseum. I suggest you just buy tickets at Palatine Hill, don't actually go in because you won't have time to explore Palatine Hill.

When you get to the Colosseum with tickets in hand go straight past the ticket queue to the entrance

From the Colosseum, cross the road to the Forum (as said, your 3-stop pass includes it). Walk thro the Forum in the direction of the monument to Vittoria Emanuelle - big white building, nickname "the wedding cake". There's a Forum exit (but not an entrance) at that end of the Forum. Walk down the side of the wedding cake to the front.

Now you need to check what time you have available. Probably enough for Trevi, possibly not for Spanish Steps but IMHO they're over-rated.

Cross the road in front of the wedding cake & up the road opposite it (Via Del Corso). One or two of the older members of your party might want to wait at a café hereabouts while the rest press on to Trevi. Then along one of the narrow streets to the right to the Trevi. Spanish Steps are ten minutes further & the same back.

Next (don't forget to collect anyone waiting at a café :D) to the Pantheon, which is vaguely in the direction of the Vatican. Free entry, usually quite a short queue. Piazza Navona is five minutes further in the same direction (but you'll find eats & drinks cheaper along your route than in Piazza Navone).

Again, check the time. From here it's a 20 minute walk to cross the river to the Vatican, or you might want to hail a cab to save your time / legs.

Total walking time (excl Spanish Steps) about an hour, though with things to see along the way you'll take longer, as well as your stops. The whole route is pretty level.

This route on googlemaps isn't totally accurate because google won't walk thro the Forum or across Piazza Navona, and there are various alternative roads.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/41.8910938,12.4923838/Trevi+Fountain,+Piazza+di+Trevi,+Rome,+Metropolitan+City+of+Rome,+Italy/St+Peter's+Square/@41.9021746,12.4649985,15z/data=!4m40!4m39!1m10!3m4!1m2!1d12.4828174!2d41.8959376!3s0x132f604d27351091:0x34c8ef7315aa8b5e!3m4!1m2!1d12.4819792!2d41.8992517!3s0x132f6052939c2eb9:0x2221ad343f20a7bc!1m20!1m1!1s0x132f6053278340d5:0xf676f1e1cc02bbb6!2m2!1d12.483313!2d41.9009325!3m4!1m2!1d12.4772676!2d41.8986565!3s0x132f604e1d8bcfd5:0xc6d4bcde57f56040!3m4!1m2!1d12.4738978!2d41.89898!3s0x132f604fdde34561:0x677dd556d122509e!3m4!1m2!1d12.4728853!2d41.8990144!3s0x132f604ff0c3fab3:0xbc8424ea4c803c8a!1m5!1m1!1s0x132f6067b0ad3535:0xb0be9b5b5aad7258!2m2!1d12.4567965!2d41.9022182!3e2

Spanish Steps are north of the Trevi, by the Spagna metro station.

The metro is no good for your needs, there's no convenient stations.

Dropping you at Colosseum & collecting you at the Vatican makes a lot of sense because it saves a great deal of tracking-back, but do be sure to have a very precise location for that pick-up.

Just in case the pick-up goes pear-shaped, San Pietro station is about a 15 minute walk or a short taxi ride for a direct train back to Civi. Worth checking the time of the last possible train.

And fix yourselves up with a map before you go, & mark it with your route - you don't want to be spending too much time studying the map or walking in the wrong direction. Can't stress how important it is to prepare in advance, and to be flexible on the day if your timing's not working out.

Other posters may come back with variations but hopefully broadly the same strategy. No-one's right or wrong, there are so many route options.

Hope this helps.

JB :)

Edited to add. Cruisemom & I seem to be singing from the same song-sheet.:)

Edited by John Bull

I saw your post earlier but didn't respond because I'm confused. You say you booked a tour, but it sounds like you just have a driver to drop you off and pick you up -- is that the case? Or do you have a car at your disposal all day? And/or a guide?

You could potentially walk all of it, though the Vatican is a fair distance from the other sites. If you plan it well, you can see the more central sites and then take a taxi for a short ride to the Vatican -- or more than one taxi, since your group doesn't sound small. There's a taxi stand right next to the Pantheon.

There have been several really detailed posts here of people who planned a similar day of sightseeing, you might try a search for one by Cathy Cruises (she has posted it more than once).

Honestly, I'd skip the Spanish Steps -- they are not a major site.

Sorry, I should have explained better. Yes, the 'tour', isn't a tour at all. They pick us up from the port, take us to Rome and pick us back up again later. We are totally on our own for the day.

I think we will walk the majority and maybe get a bus/taxi over to St Peter's Square when we are finished on the other side. As for the Spanish Steps, I think we may miss those out. They are further out of the way and none of us seem too fussed.

Thank you for your help.

How could I do see all these sites except the Vatican taking the train from the port round trip?

Get off at Roma Ostiense and either walk or take subway (its adjacent to Piramide subway) to the station nearest to what you want to see. Historical center is walkable. Present fare is 1.50€ or 7€ for 24h ticket.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=znz0rnUzhtnw.kzYmZOPBFj2E&hl=en

Metro map http://www.rome.info/metro/

As htko's post, get off the train at Ostiense, walk through the well-signed tunnel to the adjacent Piramide metro station & take a blue line metro in the direction of Rebibbia or Conca D'Oro. Off the metro at the second stop, Colosseo.

If you don't pre-purchase Colosseum tickets, get off at the first metro stop, Circo Massimo, & walk down to the Colosseum, buying your tickets halfway down at the entrance to Palatine Hill.

Unless you have any other plans, from the Colosseum you could follow the route I posted for toggywig as far as Trevi Fountain.

If you don't want to go to Vatican, mebbe take the metro from Barberini to Termini station, or walk on ten minutes to Spanish Steps. An elevator to the top of the Steps is incorporated into the Spagna metro station - it's a lot easier to walk down rather than up. Then take the metro to Termini.

Trains back to Civi start from Termini, but be aware that the platform for trains to Civi is a considerable walk (ten minutes or more) from the main station concourse. You should be able to get a seat on the train, if you join the train at Ostiense or San Pietro you'll probably have to stand for a major part of the journey - but they do manage to squeeze everyone in.

http://www.rome.info/metro/

Edited by John Bull

TIA, my view on this is different than others.

I would arrange a tour that will not only provide transportation but also touring at all the sites. Yes, when we go to Rome now we walk and walk and walk, but you are there for one day and time is precious and you can get so much out of a tour. You will be able to cover ground so much quicker but as you go between sites and also on your drive to and from Rome you will get a lot of information.

If you had a few days here I would do it mainly on your own.

Rome is very special and one day is not much time.

I highly recommend a full fledged tour.

And on top of this you have a 91 year old. I think it's too much to cover on your own.

Also are you talking about Ash Wednesday this year. Like in February. Weather can be a factor including rain.

Just my two cents.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

Sorry, I should have explained better. Yes, the 'tour', isn't a tour at all. They pick us up from the port, take us to Rome and pick us back up again later. We are totally on our own for the day.

I think we will walk the majority and maybe get a bus/taxi over to St Peter's Square when we are finished on the other side. As for the Spanish Steps, I think we may miss those out. They are further out of the way and none of us seem too fussed.

Thank you for your help.

In case you didn't know, the Spanish Steps are closed for renovation for the next 2 years; chain link fence surrounds it top and bottom.

I would suggest a HOHO bus tour to see the major sites and save your energy. Might be worth checking out in advance.

Edited by Nanatravel

In case you didn't know, the Spanish Steps are closed for renovation for the next 2 years; chain link fence surrounds it top and bottom.

I would suggest a HOHO bus tour to see the major sites and save your energy. Might be worth checking out in advance.

Thanks for the update on the Spanish Steps.

But although ho-hos are great in some cities I'd suggest that cruisers avoid them in Rome. A bit of a waste of time even on a break of several days in Rome. They stop outside Termini station for about 15 minutes, then crawl thro' the traffic to the Colosseum and on to the Vatican, where they sit for another 10 to 15 minutes before returning via main streets to Termini. Because of Rome's old narrow streets they don't go thro' Piazza Navona or past the Pantheon, or anywhere handy to Trevi or Spanish Steps.

Sorry, but IMHO Rome's ho-hos are best avoided - especially on a short port-of-call visit.

Also an integrated day ticket that includes R/T train to Rome and any local transportation in Rome (metro and bus) can be bought at Civitavechia station in tobacco shop. It's a better deal than buying train and local metro tickets separately. It used to be called BIRG . I am not sure what zone is Civitavechia is in I think it's zone 4

http://www.atac.roma.it/page.asp?p=229

Click on BIRG to get prices

Edited by hkto