1st Time to Alsaka Ruby or Emerald?

JTBCruiser

Greetings. DW and I have never sailed Princess, primarily RCI and 1 each NCL and Carnival. It looks like both ships where recently refurbished so I'm looking for feedback on which to choose. DW and I are both 59 and pretty low maintenance. We love sampling food and generally enjoy on ship entertainment shows. We aren't really into bars or the long list of busy activities offered on a ship, more R&R time for us. We are looking to book Alaska in Jun 2017 so not sure whether to do the Inside Passage Tracy Arm Fjord or Inside Passage Glacier Bay. Thx in advance for your input!

We have sailed on both and they are essentially the same (they are sister ships). Both beautiful ships and you will enjoy either one. One of our favorite places is the Piazza and International Cafe. We have never sailed to Alaska but have taken both the Emerald and Ruby on Caribbean itineraries and a European Transatlantic. We love both ships and returning to sail on them is like going back to a favorite hotel.

Greetings. DW and I have never sailed Princess, primarily RCI and 1 each NCL and Carnival. It looks like both ships where recently refurbished so I'm looking for feedback on which to choose. DW and I are both 59 and pretty low maintenance. We love sampling food and generally enjoy on ship entertainment shows. We aren't really into bars or the long list of busy activities offered on a ship, more R&R time for us. We are looking to book Alaska in Jun 2017 so not sure whether to do the Inside Passage Tracy Arm Fjord or Inside Passage Glacier Bay. Thx in advance for your input!

Ruby and Emerald are sister ships and pretty much the same. Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm.

Would highly recommend you examine the one way voyages on the Star or Coral Princess between Whittier, AK and Vancouver, BC with a pre or post cruise land tour. Princess has lots of tour packages and they own and operate their own lodges. Alaska has so much more to offer that you can not see by ship.

Ruby and Emerald are sister ships and pretty much the same. Glacier Bay over Tracy Arm.

Would highly recommend you examine the one way voyages on the Star or Coral Princess between Whittier, AK and Vancouver, BC with a pre or post cruise land tour. Princess has lots of tour packages and they own and operate their own lodges. Alaska has so much more to offer that you can not see by ship.

Please keep in mind that not everyone is made of money. In this instance, the airfare would be much more expensive, and the land tour would add another couple of thousands... and, in most cases, meals aren't provided.

OP, Last year, we did Glacier Bay on the Crown and it was spectacular! If you can, do book a balcony, it's worth it.

I will return to Alaska and will take the Tracy Arm cruise next time.

Please keep in mind that not everyone is made of money. In this instance, the airfare would be much more expensive, and the land tour would add another couple of thousands... and, in most cases, meals aren't provided.

OP, Last year, we did Glacier Bay on the Crown and it was spectacular! If you can, do book a balcony, it's worth it.

I will return to Alaska and will take the Tracy Arm cruise next time.

I wanted to do the Crown (because of GB) this year to Alaska but ended up on the Solstice.

My concerns were the perpetual instances of Noro outbreak on this ship, I've read on CC that some won't cruise her for that reason alone.:eek:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2303809

Edited by need2cruisesoon

We managed to take a cruise tour that included five nights on land before the cruise portion. It was great and not that much more expensive than our round-trip cruises from Seattle. It helped that Princess had a great sale. It sometimes pays to wait until the last minute.

My concerns were the perpetual instances of Noro outbreak on this ship, I've read on CC that some won't cruise her for that reason alone.:eek:

I was on the Crown four times in the last year and a half and never had a Noro outbreak.