A couple of odd questions about OSJ pier

New2cruise1483

So my BF and I are going on our first B2B on the NCL Gem in November, and we are trying to keep our luggage as light as possible. So one question is, are there any laundry mats close by the pier that we could use to wash our clothes from one cruise, to get them ready for the next one? I know they offer laundry services onboard the ship, but they are expensive, and honestly don't feel comfortable having my clothes washed with however many strangers clothes lol.

My next question, is there a store close by to buy things like socks and underwear? We were talking about just taking what we need for one week, and then just throwing them away and buying new for the next week. Weird I know, just trying to minimalize :D. Any input welcome! Thanks in advance :)

So my BF and I are going on our first B2B on the NCL Gem in November, and we are trying to keep our luggage as light as possible. So one question is, are there any laundry mats close by the pier that we could use to wash our clothes from one cruise, to get them ready for the next one? I know they offer laundry services onboard the ship, but they are expensive, and honestly don't feel comfortable having my clothes washed with however many strangers clothes lol.

My next question, is there a store close by to buy things like socks and underwear? We were talking about just taking what we need for one week, and then just throwing them away and buying new for the next week. Weird I know, just trying to minimalize :D. Any input welcome! Thanks in advance :)

There are many stores in OSJ from Marshals to Sears. Also the is a huge shopping mall "PLAZA DAS AMERICAS" a short cab ride away.

Surely it can't be more expensive to wash than buy? I shudder at the waste. Have you considered taking a small pack of detergent and washing stuff in the sink?

Surely it can't be more expensive to wash than buy? I shudder at the waste. Have you considered taking a small pack of detergent and washing stuff in the sink?

If I can find a place to wash my own clothes, I may do that. However, I really don't like the thought of anybody but us touching our unmentionables lol. I really don't care for hand washing things, I usually wind up with a mess, plus I would rather be out enjoying the ship :). I'm just looking at doing things in port between cruises.

I can't recall any self serve laundromats in OSJ but there are lots of stores to but clothes from (except Sears... closest on is in Plaza Las Américas mall). But wouldn't it actually be cheaper to pay for a extra luggage piece with the clothes you need than buying a week's worth of clothes?? I mean, an overweight luggage is what...$100? You can't buy clothes for a week for two with $100. Just my thoughts...

The only clothes we have talked about replacing are socks and underwear, which are very cheap. I can tolerate shorts and shirts being washed by others, but NOT my underwear. Just not something I am comfortable with. We have a lot of luggage, we usually travel very very light because we hate checking bags for various reasons. The possibility of it being lost, the extra hassle of checking a bag and also waiting around in an airport after an entire day of traveling (flights from our closest airport to SJU are around 12-13 hours with one to two plane changes) to wait and find our bag. If I find a place that does laundry for our other clothes cheaper than the ship though, I will be happy.

Have you considered hand washing your socks and underwear? I always hand wash my 'dainties' in the sink and use the shampoo provided by the ship. If it is mild enough for my hair, it is mild enough to wash my underwear. :) Many ship cabins have a pull out clothes line particularly if your cabin has a bathtub.

Oops, sorry...... I just saw you mentioned above about hand washing. :o

Edited by sail7seas

I was just browsing and saw your question about laundry. I personally do the hand wash thing, but I did a quick search on Yelp and there is one in OSJ.

ImageUploadedByForums1454306505.549429.jpg.053c7ce0028162d68bc9b90a8d8654ec.jpg

Maybe find that place with the famous Pina coladas while you wait [emoji3]

I was just browsing and saw your question about laundry. I personally do the hand wash thing, but I did a quick search on Yelp and there is one in OSJ.

[ATTACH]375114[/ATTACH]

The Barrachina is home of the pina colada. Delicious!!!!!

[ATTACH]375114[/ATTACH]

Thank you! I will check it out :)

• 2 weeks later...

I highly recommend ExOfficio travel underwear. They are comfortable and wear well, and SO easy to wash out in the sink and they dry quickly. It takes so little time to do this. A few minutes before dinner, or whenever. I can't imagine spending time in a port washing sox and underwear, or anything else, but to each her own. :)

As for Barrachina's, we were just in San Juan a week ago on the Gem, and they definitely make a wonderful piña colada. Very creamy, not filled with little pieces of ice like the ones you get on a ship.

Pina%20Coladas%20at%20Barrachinas%201024x910_zpsz7nhaunj.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Edited by Turtles06

Thanks for the tip. Where do you find these? Amazon? We may have to fly in to San Juan an extra day early, so we will be heading there for dinner one night if we end up down there for an extra day. Or if not, then at least get a pina colada :D. Do you have to make reservations there or can we just show up?

Thanks for the tip. Where do you find these? Amazon? We may have to fly in to San Juan an extra day early, so we will be heading there for dinner one night if we end up down there for an extra day. Or if not, then at least get a pina colada :D. Do you have to make reservations there or can we just show up?

If you Google ExOfficio you'll find many sellers, including their own on line store, exofficio.com, as well as Travel Smith.

No idea about reservations at the restaurants, we only had a day in San Juan. We had lunch at Raices based on recommendations on this board (FANTASTIC mofongo), and ended the day with piña coladas at Barrachina's. There are a number of threads on here about eating in San Juan, so you can do a search.

There used to be a laundromat (maybe more than one) near Posada San Francisco, a hostel near Ft San Cristobal. I didn't use it, but it seemed to be reasonable. You can walk there from the Old San Juan pier.

Definitely go to Marshall's!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you thought about washing your clothes on the ship the day before you disembark? I have always taken a roll of quarters and laundry detergent on every cruise I have gone on. Just pre-measure and pack your detergent in zip lock bags and wash the clothes the day before you leave the boat. You can find the location of washing machines on various websites. Just google your boat and location of the washing machines.

Have you thought about washing your clothes on the ship the day before you disembark? I have always taken a roll of quarters and laundry detergent on every cruise I have gone on. Just pre-measure and pack your detergent in zip lock bags and wash the clothes the day before you leave the boat. You can find the location of washing machines on various websites. Just google your boat and location of the washing machines.

Many ships do not have self-service laundry facilities.