Try Allure or stick with Carnival?

We are trying to decide on which cruise to book this summer. My husband, 2 daughters (ages 15 and 19) and I have been on several Carnival cruises and we all agree we love Carnival Dream and Breeze. I would love to try something different this year since it is our 25th anniversary. I have found 2 cruises that are available the same week. One is the Carnival Magic and the other is the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. We all love Sea days so the ports are less of a deciding factor, although both cruises have some ports that are new to us so that's great. My husband loves the hot tubs and I think he would really like the Allure because it looks like it has a lot nicer hot tubs. The girls really like the atmosphere of the pool deck on Carnival, especially at night. They love to dance and although I don't get out there with them I love watching them have fun. I have tried looking up you tube videos of the Allure to show them what it is like. But they are still not convinced. My husband noticed that the Allure seems to feel less like you are on the ocean and more like a city. And the girls have noticed that there seems to be less teenagers and more older people and less of a party atmosphere. I'm sure that the age of cruisers depends on the time of year. We usually only go to 1 or 2 shows during the week and we usually eat in the main dining room at night and try to avoid the specialty restaurants due to the added cost. I think the girls might try flow rider, zip line and rock climbing once but mostly we all just like to lay by the pool and relax. We all like the look of the Solarium but my youngest is a few months from being 16 (even though she looks older than her 19 year old sister) so I don't know if she will be able to spend time with us in there. Any advised from those of you who have cruised on both lines would be appreciated. :)

Its always fun to try something new. Book it for the different experience.

The Allure will definitively give you that. Its sooo much bigger then what you have sailed.

With the ages of your kids there will be more to do on Allure.

zKid programs work the same. Dining works the same

If I were you, I'd go with the Allure. We've been on Carnival Dream twice, and had a nice time, but it doesn't compare to an Oasis class ship. They're in a league of their own. I'd give it a try. It's always fun to sail on a new ship.

I'm a Carnival cruiser and say go for it. I've sailed Royal Caribbean twice (although on international sailings and not the Caribbean) several years apart and think they offer a great product. I would love to sail one of Royal's larger ships one day. Even though I have not sailed Allure yet (hopefull 2017 I can), if the price is comparable I think your family should give it a try. It's nice to try something different every so often. :)

We are trying to decide on which cruise to book this summer. My husband, 2 daughters (ages 15 and 19) and I have been on several Carnival cruises and we all agree we love Carnival Dream and Breeze. I would love to try something different this year since it is our 25th anniversary. I have found 2 cruises that are available the same week. One is the Carnival Magic and the other is the Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas. We all love Sea days so the ports are less of a deciding factor, although both cruises have some ports that are new to us so that's great. My husband loves the hot tubs and I think he would really like the Allure because it looks like it has a lot nicer hot tubs. The girls really like the atmosphere of the pool deck on Carnival, especially at night. They love to dance and although I don't get out there with them I love watching them have fun. I have tried looking up you tube videos of the Allure to show them what it is like. But they are still not convinced. My husband noticed that the Allure seems to feel less like you are on the ocean and more like a city. And the girls have noticed that there seems to be less teenagers and more older people and less of a party atmosphere. I'm sure that the age of cruisers depends on the time of year. We usually only go to 1 or 2 shows during the week and we usually eat in the main dining room at night and try to avoid the specialty restaurants due to the added cost. I think the girls might try flow rider, zip line and rock climbing once but mostly we all just like to lay by the pool and relax. We all like the look of the Solarium but my youngest is a few months from being 16 (even though she looks older than her 19 year old sister) so I don't know if she will be able to spend time with us in there. Any advised from those of you who have cruised on both lines would be appreciated. :)

Allure is amazing! You will not be disappointed. The shows are fantastic. We took our kids who are not yet 16 into the solarium with us last year. They look 16-18 years old and they act very mature. I would say as long as they are quiet and mature no one would care.

As you can see from my signature and future cruises booked (1 Royal, 1 Carnival, 1 Norwegian), we like a balanced experience. With that said, Oasis was BY FAR our favorite cruise and class ship. The only reason we have not booked another cruise on that class is the pricing during school holidays.

So, a resounding vote for Allure here. I actually found Oasis much less crowded than Carnival Dream, with a much larger variety of fun stuff to enjoy. Pools on Royal ships are quite a bit larger, so I will warn you that your family may very well become addicted to the Royal pool experience. Whichever you choose, enjoy! :)

Edited by APDMOM

I'm a Carnival junkie. Sailed on the Oasis and did not like it. It was to big for me. To much planning needed for me. I'm glad I experienced it. There might be more activities on the bigger ship that the kids will enjoy. You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Only YOU know if you'll like it or not. Also been on many Carnival cruises. Once we tried Royal, we haven't gone back. Went on Oasis a while back and loved it! Going on Allure this year. We actually found more kids on the Oasis than any cruise we've been on! So many things to do. I think your kids would love it!! You won't know if you like it until you try it. If you don't, then you know.

Everyone should give the Oasis Class a shot just for the experience. I'd say go for the Allure. Just be warned, you and/or your kids may never want to go back to anything else.

Edited by Big_G

I can tell you 5800 people on an Oasis class ship is a lot less crowded than 4100 on the Dream was. The Dream class is Carnival's best but still pales compared to an Oasis class. Give it a shot once.

Try Allure! Try the specialty restaurants. I am not sure there are pool side police if your 16 is behaving and acting okay.

We can't wait to get back on Allure or any Oasis class ship.

My only comment is we enjoyed 12 nights on Allure's inaugural transatlantic cruise from Florida to Spain last year - only 1 port, Malaga - and our thoughts were given the size of the ship, give it the respect it deserves.

We were busy all the time....but also had lots of relaxation, however this ship has SO much to see and do, that you need the time to explore and enjoy. I can't see how you can possibly do this on a port intensive 7 day cruise.

Whichever cruise you choose, keep this in mind. We loved the Allure. :)

We sailed on her in 2014, the ship is a destination in and of itself. Zip line, flowrider, etc. Loved everything about it. The dive show in the back of the ship was amazing. Food was great, service was great, would sail her again in a second.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I went ahead and booked the Allure!! My youngest daughter was a little sad at first that it wasn't Carnival but after we started talking about all the things there are to do on the Allure she is really excited now. She admits that it will be nice to try something completely different than what we're used to. I went ahead and booked the Mama Mia show for our first day at sea. I also booked a guarantee oceanview balcony room and have already been assigned our room. We're on deck 6 right in the middle. I'm hoping this is a good location. Now to start planning.

We had deck 6 on the Oasis and loved it!!! Actually had cabin 666! [emoji50] tried to get closet to that in Allute in Sep. Your daughter will love it! Dh won't go on a cruise now without the flowrider.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Congratulations on booking the Allure! I'm sure your daughters will be just fine and happy with it. I've been on 6 cruises, with my first 3 being on Carnival. I loved carnival and wouldn't have thought about trying anything else. My father is a loyal to the royal, and when he invited me for my first RC cruise, I've never looked back!

We have sailed CCL several times and have no complaints, but since we have tried RCCL, we have not gone back.

We LOVE both the Freedom and the Oasis Class on RCCL....specifically the Oasis class. The ship is massive, yet not crowded, except in areas such as the promenade during events. We have tried one specialty restaurant, but are just as happy in the main dinning...and why pay more if the specialty thing isn't important to you. Windjammer can get crowded, but staff are quick to clean tables and help you find seating. We are informal kinda folks....don't do the formal night. You will see everything from fancy dresses, to sun dresses, to slacks and capris on ladies in the dinning room. And sports jackets to polo shirts for the guys. The dinning room staff is just happy to serve and entertain you. Your DH will prob like the hot tub in the adult solarium....very peaceful!! Ive never tried the hot tubs near the pool so I can't speak to those. As for the teens, I see them gathering back in the sports zone during the day and I have read about teen events during the eve. As for the shows....our absolute fav is the aqua show. Days at sea are our fav. You will absolutely feel as if you are on a floating city. Embarkment is very simple and organized. The moment you walk on the ship you will be in awwww! We are sailing on her again next month and we will still be in awwww when we get on. If you can swing it, don't cheat yourself of the Allure experience.

Edited by Scootch

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I went ahead and booked the Allure!! My youngest daughter was a little sad at first that it wasn't Carnival but after we started talking about all the things there are to do on the Allure she is really excited now. She admits that it will be nice to try something completely different than what we're used to. I went ahead and booked the Mama Mia show for our first day at sea. I also booked a guarantee oceanview balcony room and have already been assigned our room. We're on deck 6 right in the middle. I'm hoping this is a good location. Now to start planning.

I don't know how it happened (it must be an addiction), but since you started this thread, we booked Allure too! Now we will enjoy both Allure and Magic this year and be able to report back.

We booked a guarantee balcony for May, but do not have an assigned cabin yet. I researched this morning and found out that if you are assigned a cabin you do not like, you can switch to an available cabin within the same category. For example, if you got assigned a D6 balcony, you can switch to any other available D6 balcony. Just thought I would share that information since I plan on doing that if we do not like the assigned balcony. (Deck 6 right in the middle sounds great though!)

Hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

My January 14 th cruise on the Oasis was the 5th on that class of ship. We love it and are having a hard time "downsizing". We love the Oasis/allure and can't wait to try Harmony next year.

I think the trouble with downsizing applies to a lot of people. :)

I'm also curious whether going from the Oasis to the Quantum would also give that feeling...